(Almost) Them Weekend Finds

GuzzoGuzzo 8,611 Posts
edited March 2008 in Strut Central
Graham Bond With Magick, interesting soul rock organ thing from them UK peoplesJackie Robinson has "Pussyfooter" on itArt Farmer tentet is mellow lullaby jazzUrsula Dudziak scat what the fuckness(!?!?)Wombs 2nd albumKaren Dalton has that pseudo Billie Holiday as a white girl in the 70's vibeHumble Gathering had 2 nice tracks on it, felt odd that it was a Stang releaseDouble of that Gordon Staples (AKA the Mean Johnny Barrows OST)Never saw that 1970 Hollywood Palace Motown LP, not too phenomenalJerry Washington and Lightning Hopkins are pure wonderful.Ketty Lester is a late 60's outing with lots of LA session players. It was released on the local label Pete. Skip Easterling is a comp and contains one of my favorite soul cuts ever "Grass is Always Greener"Lab Bands2 NTSU ones. the one from '69 "Lab!" has a nice track called "Nine months" the other one didn't really grab me. That New York Stage Band has a pretty cool version of "Fly Like An Eagle"Corona High School '71 has 2 really nice tracks one of which sounds very dusty finger-ishtwo kiddee soul doublesPattersons is a sealedRodena Preston was sealed I opened it up and felt like I should of just left it unheardHamilton Movement is an upgrade copy.Kay Robinson was a nice find late 60's James Brown produced Gospel LPTammi Terrell is a longtime want scratched off the listClara Ward is an early 70's release with the usual gospel tunes and some contemporary tracks like California Dreamin'

Comments

• PATXPATX 2,820 Posts

That New York Stage Band has a pretty cool version of Tappan Zee

• troublemantroubleman 1,928 Posts
    Hey Guzzo, Some great finds you got there. Looks like someone possibly went to Rockaway? Love that Karen Dalton too.

• DelayDelay 4,530 Posts
    karen dalton sounds like kermit.

• troublemantroubleman 1,928 Posts
    you kind sir get a with a side order of

• that humble gathering is an odd one, didn't like it at first but it's grown on me. that track "lora" sounds like it could be proto stadium-rock...

• mylatencymylatency 10,475 Posts
    you kind sir get a
    with a side order of

nah Tom is right

PERHACS infinitely >>>> K. DALTON

dealt, literally

• rookrook 357 Posts
    from the last couple weeks.

this record is beautiful.

"stand up tall with your arms out stretched in front of you... and open and close with the music"

garage blues recorded live in anchorage, alaska 1970 opening for jefferson airplane.

inspiration for jd emmanuel. thanks to dicotyledon for this.

lame alaskan bar rock with zappaesque wackiness. thank you jeremy.

i paid under a dollar for this and rightfully so. it's shit aside from one addictive loner folk cut.

received this cover in a package. it was being used as a filler spacer, and while the cover rules-word on the street is the record sucks.

i now have klemmer's cadet concept catalogue. deal

really nice female folker

thanks again to dicotyledon-the other alaskan strutter

finally received this after waiting for a month-media mail related. Frickin' excellent-they do recycle a few tracks on the money box lp-which i believe came after this one. anyhow, very cool 'cosmic folk' if you will.

1982 alaskan comp, mainly of butt rock. some interesting new wave tucked in to make it worth it.

• nzshadownzshadow 5,518 Posts

YOGIRAJ ALAN FINGER

That is the best name evar.

Wait... my name is Alan... One could say that Raj is the Yogi of Soulstrut...

Oh God.

• rookrook 357 Posts
    thought about changing my name when i saw this cover.

• djkingottodjkingotto 1,704 Posts
    they have records in alaska?

• rookrook 357 Posts
    some say it is so

• DJ_NevilleCDJ_NevilleC 1,922 Posts
    From the last week. Most of the Brazilian LP's were long-distance mailbox finds, the rest were local cheapies.

Top left LP is Samuel Hui- Time of the Season (Polydor). Guy was a movie star in Hong Kong and realeased this record in 1971. Absolutely smoking cover of the title track.

• PATXPATX 2,820 Posts

• high_chigh_c 1,384 Posts

Kay Robinson was a nice find late 60's James Brown produced Gospel LP

I've wondered about this. How it is? Funky? If good, can you to post the audio for sip the of juice?

• GuzzoGuzzo 8,611 Posts

Kay Robinson was a nice find late 60's James Brown produced Gospel LP

I've wondered about this. How it is? Funky? If good, can you to post the audio for sip the of juice?

Not funky at all. just a good gospel LP. I guess it has some soulful tinges to it, but there ain't no gospel version of the The Big Payback

• GuzzoGuzzo 8,611 Posts
    Hey Guzzo, Some great finds you got there. Looks like someone possibly went to Rockaway? Love that Karen Dalton too.

I got that Kay Robinson, Jackie Robinson, and Clara Ward from Rockaway. I saw that Tammi Terrell there but grabbed one on Ebay a couple days earlier.

• verb606verb606 2,518 Posts

that humble gathering is an odd one, didn't like it at first but it's grown on me. that track "lora" sounds like it could be proto stadium-rock...

It's on Stang? I'd really like to hear that one. It looks very interesting. I can fuck with proto-stadium rock.

• hcrinkhcrink 8,729 Posts
    proto-stadium rock.

Yeah, cause, you know, it's not there was any "stadium rock" in the 70's.

• Quote:

proto-stadium rock.

Yeah, cause, you know, it's not there was any "stadium rock" in the 70's.

touche... song still sounds like stadium rock though...

• pcmrpcmr 5,591 Posts
    Here are some finds from Lima Peru

All the stores at my main spot were closed so instead of the long hauled dig I would usually take part in

I went for quality over quantity

Joe Cuba was the first things i saw in the bins and I knew I was in for a treat

The Crime Pays is mono gatefold great condition

Brazilian finds

I left very happy and paid very little..Viva el Peru Carajo!

• PrimeCutsLtdPrimeCutsLtd jersey fresh 2,632 Posts
    got some records over the past few days...Thought I'd share my scores. Because my wife could give two shits...

jorge ben - tropical (island)
    desmond dekker - the israelites (cactus-77 reissue)
    love - de capo (elektra) minty og!
    byrds - dr. byrds & mr hyde
    albert king - lovejoy (stax)
    the best of spirit
    david rea - maverick child (capital)
    camel - mirage (janus)
    soul children - s/t (stax)
    black heat - no time to burn
    new birth - coming together
    brother jack mcduff- tobacco road (atlantic)
    lou donaldson - alligator bogaloo
    descargas at the village gate - vol. 1 (tico)
    otis reading (best of...)
    augustus pablo - original rockers (rockers)
    jj cale - naturally (abc)
    blues magoos - psychedelic lollipop & electric comic book
    electric prunes - s/t
    fugs - s/t

45's
    funkhouse express - music makes you move (tapeca)
    dave & ansil collins - double barrel
    mickey & the soul generation - football(maxwell) alas it was heat damaged
    james brown - new day
    crazy elephant - dark part of my mind (bell)
    jackie lee - the duck (mirwood)

• Humble Gathering had 2 nice tracks on it, felt odd that it was a Stang release
    Double of that Gordon Staples (AKA the Mean Johnny Barrows OST)
    Never saw that 1970 Hollywood Palace Motown LP, not too phenomenal
    apparently that motown lp is pretty raer, the intro from stakes is high was sampled from the j5 cover of sing a simple song

• Nutkins ahoy!!

i saw the man himself on a date with a leggy blonde himself in one of my local boozers a few years ago -- he was a giant. what a guy.

• hammertimehammertime 2,389 Posts
    just a few things in the mail...Monster Movie is German Liberty press, Tago Mago is a slightly different OG German press, Larry Young is OG stereo and a long time want.

• BelsonBelson 880 Posts

It's all about 'Trying times' on the Mildred Clarke. Sell that to a Soulie for a whole lot more than you paid for it. Like, much more.

• DCarfagnaDCarfagna 983 Posts
    kermit

• mylatencymylatency 10,475 Posts
    kermit

= , , , , &

I'm guessing you found a new storage space this weekend, too.

• beatlustbeatlust 142 Posts
    that pic

• yuichiyuichi Urban sprawl 11,331 Posts

Michael Wycoff and Leon Ware are dope. Clean Temptations psych moves for a buck. That Lonnie Liston Smith release from 1980 has some really dope smooth jazz/modern sounds, mixed in with a few fusion/disco terds. Captain Beefheart is the orange Reprise label. Second press? Finally, the Sam Cooke is a Chinese pressing of "Hits of the 50s" apparently pressed in 1955 (different from the cover) on a green disc with "Hey there", "Mona Lisa" etc. Did too much driving around to get these... But should be some good listening.

• GuzzoGuzzo 8,611 Posts

It's all about 'Trying times' on the Mildred Clarke. Sell that to a Soulie for a whole lot more than you paid for it. Like, much more.

It's gonna happen, this was a double. All Mildred Clark LP's are uncelebrated bangers