Forget Amy: 'sup with Duffy?

mannybolonemannybolone Los Angeles, CA 15,025 Posts
edited March 2008 in Strut Central
Retro-Northern steez? (cool dancing)

Comments

• JuniorJunior 4,853 Posts
    I was just talking about this video to someone earlier today. I've heard mixed things about her album but it still throws me a bit that a song featuring a video with northern soul dancers going wild could be at number one in the UK pop charts. The times they are a changing.

• DB_CooperDB_Cooper Manhatin' 7,823 Posts
    I predict within two years soul will be the new indie rock. Soulstrut will be the new Pitchfork. Beards will be the next neck bandana. And you will be the uber-hipster. Yes, YOU[/b].

• mylatencymylatency 10,475 Posts
    swoon

• kwalitykwality 620 Posts
    I predict within two years soul will be the new indie rock. Soulstrut will be the new Pitchfork. Beards will be the next neck bandana. And you will be the uber-hipster. Yes, YOU[/b].

Funnily enough I think you could be right. Amy's got a lot to answer for.

• Rich45sRich45s 327 Posts
    Singles s'good. I keep expecting Under The Boardwalk to come in after the first bar or two.

Produced by Bernard Butler ex-Suede. Big things are expected - well bigger than the number 1.

NB Came 2nd in the Welsh version of Pop Idol apparently. Been 'in development' for a while

• HamHam 872 Posts

Swedish artist Veronica Maggio:

• Song sounds horrible... that rick tick drum machine is a Frickin' pathetic attempt to escape the soulless retro tag this tune so richly deserves. damn brits been trying to force underdone soul down our throats for decades now... at least when andrew loog oldham did it he picked up some american singers with real pipes along the way. This girl hits the notes but her voice is paper thin... anyway not even sharon jones could save this track... next please...

• PABLOPABLO 1,921 Posts

Pfff. By that time we'll all of moved on to Guam psych or something.

• DocMcCoyDocMcCoy "Go and laugh in your own country!" 5,913 Posts
    I was just talking about this video to someone earlier today. I've heard mixed things about her album but it still throws me a bit that a song featuring a video with northern soul dancers going wild could be at number one in the UK pop charts. The times they are a changing.

I think the song's kinda jerry-built. It's funny to me how a record that's essentially an uptempo three-chord 12-bar blues is the number one song in the UK, when record companies over here would have ran a mile from that shit five years ago. I've been told that there's better songs on the album, but I can't say I'm inclined to investigate on the strength of this.

While we're on the subject of white girls from the UK putting a poppier spin on black music forms, someone to keep an eye out for is Ava Leigh. Her lead single is kind of Rihanna-ish dance-pop, but she's done some shit with Steely and Clevie which ain't bad at all - one song in particular, "Mad About The Boy", is a pretty classy slice of lover's rock. She could turn out to be the best of the bunch.

• oldjeezyoldjeezy 134 Posts
    I was wondering when someone would mention her. Tons of hype going on now. I find it boring, but I have no problem with a classic soul revival.

Just wait for the ipod commercial using Boscoe ala Feist. She blew up cause of that.
    (Or insert Karen Dalton for you Wimpidermy types).

btw, I AM the uber-hipster. They just don't realize.

• SnappingSnapping 995 Posts
    I agree with pretty much all of the criticisms thrown up here. But at the same time I'm okay with the "pop music machine" stamping out some songs that follow this formula. At least there are things that I like texturally in this song (like the keyboard sound and the shuffle feel). This makes okay background music for grocery shopping or shuffling through channels or all of the other things that I do where there is some generic pop music that I have no choice but to hear.

• CosmoCosmo 9,768 Posts
    You guys up on Ryan Shaw? Gets some run on the video shows in NY. Just copped the album too - not that bad. Interesting to say the least, for seeing what dude is trying to do. His whole album is kind of like this.

• dayday 9,612 Posts
    You guys up on Ryan Shaw? Gets some run on the video shows in NY. Just copped the album too - not that bad. Interesting to say the least, for seeing what dude is trying to do. His whole album is kind of like this.

Song isn't bad but that video (and Frickin' sweater!) has got to go. Dude is like 22 going on 42 with that look.

As for Duffy, I got the promo last week and wasn't feeling it.

If anyone it's Sharon Jones turn up to bat[/b]

• God this song is horrible.

• You guys up on Ryan Shaw? Gets some run on the video shows in NY. Just copped the album too - not that bad. Interesting to say the least, for seeing what dude is trying to do. His whole album is kind of like this.

Song isn't bad but that video (and Frickin' sweater!) has got to go. Dude is like 22 going on 42 with that look.

As for Duffy, I got the promo last week and wasn't feeling it.

If anyone it's Sharon Jones turn up to bat[/b]

This shit is corny.

I'm not mad at the Swedish girl though.

Kinda on the fence about the first one (Brit). I hated it at first, then despised it, then just hated it again.

Agreed with the statement that Pop music could be worse and could be pulling inspiration from somewhere else. I can get on board with that. It's just that, well when you boil down to it, it's still just pop versions of genres I enjoy.

Kinda like Beatles covers - great source material but most of them suck.

• alieNDNalieNDN 2,181 Posts
    during the whole video i was wondering how hilary duff changed her voice and looks at the same time

• If anyone it's Sharon Jones turn up to bat[/b]

I don't think Brenda and her spin class would feel good about her being the one. They need someone they can "relate" to.

knowhatimsayin?

• DelayDelay 4,530 Posts
    the album is complete crap.

• kwalitykwality 620 Posts

I'm not mad at the Swedish girl though.

I'll raise you an . I find that clip really compelling, I can't say why exactly.

• Controller_7Controller_7 4,052 Posts

Sal Masakela's part-time gig?

• OkemOkem 4,617 Posts
    Whinehouse 2.0

I would hate, but girls only 16. damn!

• Retro-Northern steez? (cool dancing)

I actually kind of enjoy this tune. I got the sampler/promo last week and almost nothing else on it is remotely Winehousian/esque/ish. Kind of reminds me of Lulu.

• DrWuDrWu 4,021 Posts

Swedish artist Veronica Maggio:

Swedish furniture is so dope.

• mannybolonemannybolone Los Angeles, CA 15,025 Posts
    I predict within two years soul will be the new indie rock.

You don't lie. I'm looking through all these other videos and it's...eye-opening to say the least. That 16 year old Australian is straight up a Winehouse Jr. with a little country twang mixed in. Is she were smart, she'd pull a Cat Power and record in Muscle Shoals.

I just noticed: Truth and Soul remixed one of her songs: http://www.truthandsoulrecords.com/blog/?p=29

• mannybolonemannybolone Los Angeles, CA 15,025 Posts

I'm sorry but this is mad corny.

I listened to some of his other tracks...can't get into his production and vocally, I prefer someone like Anthony Hamilton or John Legend in terms of their style of neo-soul. "Do the 45" is mad retro I suppose but more like Jive Bunny and Mastermixers retro.

• CBearCBear 902 Posts
    I ventured into my local hipster bar last night which I haven't been into in years, and they had some mainstream jukebox soul goin' on.

• SnappingSnapping 995 Posts

for some reason this reminds me of

and I don't mean that in a good way.

• alieNDNalieNDN 2,181 Posts
    i've always though catchy 60s girl groups with explicit lyrics would be a huge hit, because the music is so godamn catchy. but for me, it will always be the ronettes.

• paquelaspaquelas 206 Posts
    i'm not into mercy, but i dig warwick avenue
    http://www.zshare.net/audio/8098772987842a/

• DrWuDrWu 4,021 Posts
    Ryan Shaw is on some Up With People type steez, hilarious. I like the Dufy song and the countryish one by the high schooler(?). Winehouse has legs, to borrow a saying from another strutter.