Forget Amy: 'sup with Duffy?

2»

Comments

• tripledoubletripledouble 7,636 Posts

I'm sorry but this is mad corny.

cosine
    unlistenable

little australian girls song was nice to listen to. for some reason i was waiting for her to take a match to that upsidedown dude.

• batmonbatmon 27,574 Posts
    Light-Blue Eyed Soul

Ill take this stuff before American Idol and Avril Lavinge

• This Duffy song is excellent. Only part I didn't like was that little quasi background rapping toward the end. I can't believe how cranky and jaded some of you guys are.

• I predict within two years soul will be the new indie rock. Soulstrut will be the new Pitchfork. Beards will be the next neck bandana. And you will be the uber-hipster. Yes, YOU[/b].

Funnily enough I think you could be right. Amy's got a lot to answer for.

Swedish artist Veronica Maggio:

This is kind of cute.

But when you hear the tune they ripped off for it...

http://www.soulmusic.co.uk/Records_For_Sale/Images_and_Sounds/289.mp3

• spelunkspelunk 3,400 Posts
    95% of this retro soul stuff I've heard is crap hipster garbage. I couldn't make it through either of those videos.

The other 5% is made up of Sharon Jones and Nicole Willis.

• BsidesBsides 4,244 Posts
    This Duffy song is excellent. Only part I didn't like was that little quasi background rapping toward the end. I can't believe how cranky and jaded some of you guys are.

are you serious? Excellent? How is this cheesy retro winehouse rip-off excellent?

Listen, say what you say about amy, but the girl has an amazing voice that makes all these wannabees look like shit. I understand that this shit is the new trend now and it will be inescapable, and i don't think thats a completely bad thing, but amy's stuff has an edge to it that brings it beyond just simply retro kitsch.

• ariel_calmerariel_calmer 3,762 Posts
    Whinehouse 2.0

• batmonbatmon 27,574 Posts
    This Duffy song is excellent. Only part I didn't like was that little quasi background rapping toward the end. I can't believe how cranky and jaded some of you guys are.

are you serious? Excellent? How is this cheesy retro winehouse rip-off excellent?

Listen, say what you say about amy, but the girl has an amazing voice that makes all these wannabees look like shit. I understand that this shit is the new trend now and it will be inescapable, and i don't think thats a completely bad thing, but amy's stuff has an edge to it that brings it beyond just simply retro kitsch.

Amazing Voice?

• this thread is a perfect example of why I don't watch TV. Cause when I close my eyes, the music sounds alright, but immediately loses a majority of it's credibility when I see the videos.