New Justice video APPRECIATION

akoako https://soundcloud.com/a-ko 3,413 Posts
edited March 2008 in Strut Central
regardless of what you think of Justice or this song, i Frickin' LOVE THIS VIDEO. i watch it like 4 times a day. mabye its just me or something but i just love this vibe. looks like a video with like 50 different 80's production company graphics...let the hatt begin i guess, but i cant get enough of it:

Comments

• GambleGamble 844 Posts
    Yeah. Kind of my shit.

• FYBSFYBS 271 Posts
    Shit is definitely amazing.

• fauxteurfauxteur 342 Posts
    thanks, i really dig these guys

• yuichiyuichi Urban sprawl 11,331 Posts
    woah, that's insane.

• empanadamnempanadamn 1,462 Posts
    WHOA! that was super Frickin' dope. thanks for the post. the song is pretty fresh, too.

So what's DVNO stand for?

I've ALWAYS been a fan of that HBO logo and old intro (referenced at 00:40 mark). It's so dope how the sound filters once inside the "O" in the video.

http://youtube.com/watch?v=i1NKoMNy5bY [OG HBO intro]

And the ending of the video is dope too, referencing the closing credits of a production company with the motion picture of a guy at a desk ripping out a sheet of paper from his typewriter, paper floating up in the air, then the sequence changing into animated graphics, with the sheet of paper landing on a stack of papers that formed the production company's logo. Remember?

• m_dejeanm_dejean Quadratisch. Praktisch. Gut. 2,946 Posts
    Weeeeeuuuuw-dikkadikkadikkadik-VIACOM[/b]

• SwayzeSwayze 14,705 Posts
    Nice video.

Can't get with the song, though.

• DrBorisQDrBorisQ 298 Posts
    That is an impressive video for sure.

That was always my favourite song off that album; which as a whole did fall a little short.

Does anyone know if there is a 12 of this out? All the usual outlets seem to come up blank...

• CosmophonicCosmophonic 1,172 Posts
    WOO! That was amazing! The D*A*N*C*E* video was pretty wild too if you missed that one.

Why did they take out the filtered slap bass mania? Is this the single-version?

The piano bit at the end works pretty well as a replacement though...

• waxjunkywaxjunky 1,850 Posts
    The video > The song.

What was the production company that had the guy at the typewriter? I remember seeing that hundreds of times after some show I used to watch back in the 80s.

• akoako https://soundcloud.com/a-ko 3,413 Posts
    The video > The song.

What was the production company that had the guy at the typewriter? I remember seeing that hundreds of times after some show I used to watch back in the 80s.

if i remember is was something & something. not sure what the letters were but it was like J&S or something like that. i THINK.

• SoulhawkSoulhawk 3,197 Posts
    The video > The song.

the show was probably 'the A Team'

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Stephen_J._Cannell

that song was weak

• akoako https://soundcloud.com/a-ko 3,413 Posts
    WOO! That was amazing! The D*A*N*C*E* video was pretty wild too if you missed that one.

the D*A*N*C*E video was great too. plus i love that song.

as you can hear they added a lot of sound effects for this video. not sure about the slap bass though...

• djdazedjdaze 3,099 Posts
    WHOA! that was super Frickin' dope. thanks for the post. the song is pretty fresh, too.

According to band member Xavier de Rosnay, "DVNO" stands for "Divino." de Rosnay states, "In every suburb of the world, in every city, there's always a nightclub called El Divino... Clubs where you have to wear like a white shirt to get in

• bthavbthav 1,538 Posts

According to band member Xavier de Rosnay, "DVNO" stands for "Divino." de Rosnay states, "In every suburb of the world, in every city, there's always a nightclub called El Divino... Clubs where you have to wear like a white shirt to get in

that is hilarious.

• SupergoodSupergood 1,213 Posts
    That video was mindblowin'! Thanks for posting it.

• The-gafflerThe-gaffler 2,190 Posts
    someone showed me this video yesterday...really dope. looks mad time consuming for who ever animated it too. where's the DIC though? remember that production ending?

the music though, good god...that was tough to listen to.

• verb606verb606 2,518 Posts
    The video > The song.

if i remember is was something & something. not sure what the letters were but it was like J&S or something like that. i THINK.

It was probably the Cannell guy that someone else mentioned. The paper curls up into a C and there was a corny little soft rock electric guitar lick in there too. That's all I remember.

So are all those graphics homages to actual logos and shit? I caught the HBO and 20th Century Fox joints, but I figured most of the rest were spoofs on 80's graphical conventions/cliches rather than actual clips. can someone with better 80's TV game educate me?

and on the Ed Banger tip, I'm bout to go check that DJ Mehdi video again. The one with the two guys giving each other dap in increasingly complex ways. I love that schitt.

• CosmophonicCosmophonic 1,172 Posts

the D*A*N*C*E video was great too. plus i love that song.

as you can hear they added a lot of sound effects for this video. not sure about the slap bass though...

Dance was great for the first one million listens, but it most definitely got overplayed. "New Jack" is my personal favorite on that album. As for the rave-up, the Soulwax remix of "Phantom" is amazing.

But have a listen to the album version, I don't have it here but I distinctly remember a cheeky bass-solo on that.

• PonyPony 2,283 Posts
    The inspiration...

The inspiration...

The typewriter guy WAS Cannell. That was bugging me all day.

That PBS logo with the faces is fire. I still think there should be a graemlin with that logo saying "Please Be Serious" with the PBS in bold.

• PonyPony 2,283 Posts

That PBS logo with the faces is fire. I still think there should be a graemlin with that logo saying "Please Be Serious" with the PBS in bold.

I swear I've seen a graemlin using that logo.

I swear I've seen a graemlin using that logo.

There is one, but it says "hoighty-toighty." It's cool, but the P.B.S thing is too perfect. Plus, PBS is serious, kinda. You get my drift.

• SupergoodSupergood 1,213 Posts
    The inspiration...

For the video/graphics people here: does anyone know how these logos were made back in the day, pre-After Effects/Maya etc..?

• Hotsauce84Hotsauce84 8,450 Posts
    REAL HEADZ KNOW THE DEAL:

• DB_CooperDB_Cooper Manhatin' 7,823 Posts
    There is one, but it says "hoighty-toighty." It's cool, but the P.B.S thing is too perfect. Plus, PBS is serious, kinda. You get my drift.

Considering that I'm the face of PBS on this board, though, "serious" might be a stretch. Not that there aren't other PBS-affiliated folks on this board, but I ride hard for my people.

Considering that I'm the face of PBS on this board, though, "serious" might be a stretch. Not that there aren't other PBS-affiliated folks on this board, but I ride hard for my people.

oh no doubt, I ride for PBS too. I was joking about the serious part. I just figured a good graemlin could be made out of the letters P.B.S.

• volumenvolumen 2,532 Posts
    The inspiration...

For the video/graphics people here: does anyone know how these logos were made back in the day, pre-After Effects/Maya etc..?

I know some of this stuff is actually models. I remeber when I was a kid I saw a thing on HBO about thier moving intro. The "HBO" letter were actually a small model that they filmed as well as the city they pan over. I think a lot of the old stuff is the real deal with lighting effect added as well as "cell" work (if that's the right term).

Quite frankly I think that old hand made stuff beats the hell out of this CGI crap. The only point of CGI is to try to make it realistic, but it doesn't look cool.

• nzshadownzshadow 5,518 Posts
    Pony, Herm... You are taking me back...

The Justice video was made by these guys: http://machinemolle.com/

• empanadamnempanadamn 1,462 Posts
    A progression of the Cannell spot: