Am I the only person that doesn't like Prince?

Comments

• dayday 9,612 Posts

I've talked to Prince about his music. How about you?

I bet it took everything you had to keep that in for those 3 posts.

• I've talked to Prince about his music. How about you?

I bet it took everything you had to keep that in for those 3 posts.

Not really.

• aleitaleit 1,915 Posts
    converted.

• i like some dudes shit, but he's a dick

He's, in fact, a very generous man. I don't know if he still does this, but he used to donate what he no longer used to charity after ending a tour.

I think his standoffish attitude is a part of his act.

• RockadelicRockadelic Out Digging 13,993 Posts
    i like some dudes shit, but he's a dick

He's, in fact, a very generous man. I don't know if he still does this, but he used to donate what he no longer used to charity after ending a tour.

This explains the homeless guy I saw in purple spandex and glitter high heels.

• spelunkspelunk 3,400 Posts
    Actually "LOVING PRINCE" but only being familiar with "1999", "Kiss", and "let's go crazy" is almost essential for being white.

But seriously, go pump "pop life" or "cab driver" or any of his lesser known hits and if you don't like it....i'm not really sure you should be on this message board and need to evaluate if you like any forms of music that tends to be made by people of color.

Slow down with that nonsense. Those Prince songs have nothing to do with 99.9 percent of "forms of music that tends to be made by people of color."

You sure about that? His music is pretty universal especially to the ears of people who claim to like soul music.

Naw I really don't think this is true. There are plenty of people deep into soul music who don't dig his sound.

I appreciate his music and don't dislike it, but it really doesn't do it for me personally.

Does this mean I need to re-evaluate my appreciation of soul music? I think not.

b/w

A friend of mine lit Prince's personal couch on fire smoking a joint at a Minneapolis club. When he found out, Prince was pissed[/b].

• A friend of mine lit Prince's personal couch on fire smoking a joint at a Minneapolis club. When he found out, Prince was pissed[/b].

Was it Prince's cousin?

• yuichiyuichi Urban sprawl 11,331 Posts
    Basically, Young Phonics is saying you ain't got no life and don't understand da black man soul if you ain't down with Prince's catalog. I think imma go cop one so that I could be down.

• pickwick33pickwick33 8,946 Posts
    I don't particularly like Prince either, and I sure as hell ain't ashamed.

• akoako https://soundcloud.com/a-ko 3,413 Posts

• shooteralishooterali 1,591 Posts
    when prince or madonna tour they make thier money "haters", but really prince fell off along time ago but his shows sale out in hours. Madonna, the same shit, her music is suffering but her shows sale out in hours so people still care about these two. Their newer stuff isn't played much but they both have classics.

• white_teawhite_tea 3,262 Posts
    A host of bizarre looks in this thread:

--Grouping Prince and Madonna
    --Prince is not a black artist

• Birdman9Birdman9 5,417 Posts
    i like some dudes shit, but he's a dick

no it's actually not. & he should donate $ to his band that he seriously underpays...

I knew an engineer who was on call 24-7 to Paisley Park, in case Prince wanted to work on something. I believe he was paid ok, but I don't think Prince ever spoke to him directly, and I think for the most part was under instructions to leave once he had set up the tracks, then called in again when Prince was done. So I think the stand-offish aspect is pretty a thorough aspect of Prince's personality.

It was cool hearing how this engineer was called in one night to pull down the original string tracks from Purple Rain.

• batmonbatmon 27,574 Posts

Prince = Rock Revolutionary?

• HarveyCanalHarveyCanal "a distraction from my main thesis." 13,234 Posts
    How could someone not like Prince in some way or another?

How could someone not like Prince in some way or another?

I can see where someone who wouldnt be blown away by his earlier output. Someone like Uncle Pickwick was a seasoned listener by the time Prince debuted and later blew up.

But Cats who were around during the Purple Rain era......that shit was hard to deny, unless maybe you were in some country that didnt feature him alot on the radio.

• faux_rillzfaux_rillz 14,343 Posts
    I don't care for Prince or Madonna....maybe I'm not American enough.

LOL

Prince = one of the most important muscical forces of the past half-century

Madonna = not exactly

• RockadelicRockadelic Out Digging 13,993 Posts
    I like his early stuff and he's an under-rated guitarist.

This is probably my favorite LP overall...

• m_dejeanm_dejean Quadratisch. Praktisch. Gut. 2,946 Posts
    I don't care for Prince or Madonna....maybe I'm not American enough.

LOL

Prince = one of the most important muscical forces of the past half-century

Madonna = not exactly

Saying. What is her name even doing in this thread? I mean, I have respect for her as a entertainer/entrepeneaur/trendsetter, but judged solely on musical terms, she's a hack IMO. Very far from being on Prince's level.

The whole "if you don't like Prince, you don't like music" is a bit weak though. Personally, I think Prince is the man, but I can understand why some people wouldn't dig him.

Prince = Rock Revolutionary?

To some people, he is. But not Pickwick33!

Seriously, while I've always dug black musicians who fused rock and soul (Buddy Miles, rest in peace bro), Prince never really went over too well with me. In the eighties, it always confounded me when critics would try to connect Prince with the legacies of Chuck Berry and Jimi Hendrix. Maybe so, and I can hear it, but I still don't like it...

• bassiebassie 11,710 Posts
    I do not enjoy his noodley, screeching guitar stuff, but his ballads and sexy songs are unfukwitable imo.

If you don't like him, then you're probably not really seeing/feeling it, but no one can pull off riding thin lines between masculine/feminine, sweet/raunchy, I don't give a f*ck/please adore me, cheesey/sophisticated like he can.

• akoako https://soundcloud.com/a-ko 3,413 Posts
    I do not enjoy his noodley, screeching guitar stuff, but his ballads and sexy songs are unfukwitable imo.

If you don't like him, then you're probably not really seeing/feeling it, but no one can pull off riding thin lines between masculine/feminine, sweet/raunchy, I don't give a f*ck/please adore me, cheesey/sophisticated like he can.

i understand/appreciate prince, i just dont really like listening to his music very much.

i understand/appreciate prince, i just dont really like listening to his music very much.

i agree with this statement, except i would have taken out the word "appreciate" if it were left up to me

• PSellersPSellers 157 Posts
    i don't really think i like a WHOLE prince album. prince for me is always balancing on this very thin piece of tight rope between genius and idiot. that daylater mix however is pretty much non stop face melt.

• MjukisMjukis 1,675 Posts
    It definitely took me a while to really dig Prince, beyond the obvious wedding hits. Around the world in a day is actually my favourite album of his. While all the Prince album I own have their moments of genius, they all also have moments that sound corny and dated to me. But to me, Prince at his best = Music at its best.

You haven't lived until you've seduced a woman by playing "Do Me Baby."

Is the Minneapolis Sound a legit sub-genre in R&B?

• i understand/appreciate prince, i just dont really like listening to his music very much.

i agree with this statement, except i would have taken out the word "appreciate" if it were left up to me

^^^^

Exactly what this thread needs. Some logical/little dude-free reason as to why you don't like Prince. Plus contributeurs[/b] like Laserwolf and Pickwick obviously know what they are talking about when it comes to music.

Everyone else is basically showing their ass. I mean this would basically be like me being a long-time member of a rock messageboard and saying "I'm not a led zeppelin or big hendrix fan but maaaaaaaaaaan, can someone re-up some arcade fire mp3's!"

• DJ_EnkiDJ_Enki 6,471 Posts
    I understand/appreciate Prince, I just don't really like listening to his music very much.

• The Raise UpThe Raise Up Golden Years... wah wah wah 452 Posts
    who's that strutter that did that prince mix? its a great mix and listen to it frequently.

YES! This has been in rotation over here since last summer!

• I understand/appreciate Prince, I just don't really like listening to his music very much.

I'mma slap a Steezo accapella over "Get it up" and you'll be sold!