Am I the only person that doesn't like Prince?

DjArcadianDjArcadian 3,630 Posts
edited March 2008 in Strut Central
Seriously, all his stuff sounds corny and dated to me. I know people will consider this blasphemous.

Comments

• batmonbatmon 27,574 Posts

BAN

• deejdeej 5,125 Posts
    what is the point of this

• alieNDNalieNDN 2,181 Posts
    who's that strutter that did that prince mix? its a great mix and listen to it frequently.

• yuichiyuichi Urban sprawl 11,331 Posts
    I don't care for Prince or Madonna....maybe I'm not American enough.

Truthfully, i havent copped a Prince album sinve Emancipation.

But still......

Camille - Significant alter ego character and vocalist on tracks between 1986 and 1988.

Mr. Goodnight - on the track of the same name on Planet Earth in 2007

Jamie Starr / The Starr Company - early producer of The Time, Vanity 6, etc.

The Revolution - Though the band had other members, several songs credited to Prince and The Revolution were performed by Prince alone

The Kid - Prince's semi-autobiographical persona in Purple Rain; the character was revisited in the film Graffiti Bridge

Joey Coco - producer/writer of songs for Kenny Rogers, Sheena Easton, etc.

Christopher Tracy - lead character of Under the Cherry Moon

Alexander Nevermind - writer of "Sugar Walls" for Sheena Easton, also, writer on "Telepathy", by Deborah Allen.

Madhouse - writer and performer (except saxophone and flute by Eric Leeds) of all tracks on the first Madhouse album. Though credited to the "band," which did not exist at that time, Prince draws royalties for this work. On Madhouse's second album, some tunes were specified as being written by Prince, Sheila E., Eric Leeds, and Levi Seacer, Jr., while other compositions were attributed to Madhouse, i.e., Prince

Austra Chanel - name of the "mentor" under which Madhouse was assembled; said to be the creator of the Madhouse concept

Gemini - Co-lead vocal "character" thoughout the Batman project in 1989

Partyman - Prince plays the titular character in said music video

Tora Tora - on the NPG's Exodus album

Azifwekar?? - "homeless pothead" on the song "Style" and director credit to the "Face Down" video

The unpronounceable symbol (Love Symbol) - adopted as official name from 1993 to 2000

The Artist Formerly Known As Prince - offered by journalists as an alternative to the Love Symbol

The Artist - emerged from "The Artist Formerly Known As Prince," and usually accredited to his then lawyer L. Londel McMillan and became the most common alias in the media in the late 1990s

Christopher - wrote "Manic Monday", made popular by The Bangles[/b]

Nah. Its probably just an age thing.

But watch, One day yo ass is gonna post up a pic of I999 - talmbout,"Yo I just discovered D.M.S.R......."

• yuichiyuichi Urban sprawl 11,331 Posts

Nah. Its probably just an age thing.

But watch, One day yo ass is gonna post up a pic of I999 - talmbout,"Yo I just discovered D.M.S.R......."

Probably, yea.

• DjArcadianDjArcadian 3,630 Posts
    but he's a dick

Speak on it!

• ostost Montreal 1,375 Posts
    I'm not a fan of theirs either but i do like certtain songs that they've come out with so I just keep those arround... "Holiday", "In to the groove", "Justiffy my love" are pretty much the ones to take in to consideration. With prince though I can't get past "1999" and maybe 1 or 2 more songs...

• bthavbthav 1,538 Posts
    who's that strutter that did that prince mix? its a great mix and listen to it frequently.

pony/u-turn did it. definitly clutch.

ive tried to get into more prince, but find myself really only feeling the classics and affiliated productions.

• SoulOnIceSoulOnIce 13,027 Posts

BAN

Yeah, not liking Prince is pretty much as BAN as it gets.

• BrianBrian 7,618 Posts
    You sound white.

• Actually "LOVING PRINCE" but only being familiar with "1999", "Kiss", and "let's go crazy" is almost essential for being white.

But seriously, go pump "pop life" or "cab driver" or any of his lesser known hits and if you don't like it....i'm not really sure you should be on this message board and need to evaluate if you like any forms of music that tends to be made by people of color.

• BrianBrian 7,618 Posts
    Actually "LOVING PRINCE" but only being familiar with "1999", "Kiss", and "let's go crazy" is almost essential for being white.
    Definitely, but completely dismissing his entire catalog?

• SoulOnIceSoulOnIce 13,027 Posts
    You haven't lived until you've seduced a woman by playing "Do Me Baby."

• Actually "LOVING PRINCE" but only being familiar with "1999", "Kiss", and "let's go crazy" is almost essential for being white.
    Definitely, but completely dismissing his entire catalog?

At best, someone could say "hey, I bumped a lot of joints and I can appreciate what's happening but i'm not feeling it".

But seriously, go pump "pop life" or "cab driver" or any of his lesser known hits and if you don't like it....i'm not really sure you should be on this message board and need to evaluate if you like any forms of music that tends to be made by people of color.

Slow down with that nonsense. Those Prince songs have nothing to do with 99.9 percent of "forms of music that tends to be made by people of color."

Slow down with that nonsense. Those Prince songs have nothing to do with 99.9 percent of "forms of music that tends to be made by people of color."

You sure about that? His music is pretty universal especially to the ears of people who claim to like soul music.

You sure about that? His music is pretty universal especially to the ears of people who claim to like soul music.

I'm not going to qualify my argument by saying that I love Prince's music.

By "people of color" are you being specific to America? Even then, his music is fairly different than other forms of music made by Americans of color.

He can play any form of music. He's a genius. There's his universal appeal. I wouldn't call him a "black" artist.

• I wouldn't call him a "black" artist.

wow.

• I wouldn't call him a "black" artist.

wow.

For every "black" song you identify I can find a "non-black" song.

• I've talked to Prince about his music. How about you?

• I've talked to Prince about his music. How about you?

And...?

• Fine, I'll concede the point that if you don't like Prince you don't like anything made by people of color.

• ostost Montreal 1,375 Posts
    Each person has their own preference. If he doesn't like something than so be it. But why is "race" even a part of the discussion. That shouldn't be an issue...

• LaserWolfLaserWolf Portland Oregon 11,517 Posts
    Is Prince Black? Is his music? Are Wendy and Lisa? Shelia E? Do I have to like Kenny Rodgers? Controversy.

Not liking Prince should equal a ban either way.

• Not liking Prince should equal a ban either way.

Well, duh.