Stealing records from the library. When its ok:

Comments

• DjArcadianDjArcadian 3,630 Posts
    stealing from library is bad, but stealing music in digital form is ok, i love the logic!
    fuck it you wanna steal steal, just be prepared to get dealt with if caught, otherwise do what the fuck you gotta do & dont look back...

I'd fully support the stealing of MP3's from a library.

• soulstrut...where dead horses are beat daily. how many new topics appear here any more...really ?

for every notion thought of as far as reasons why/ why not....theres a counter for them
    the exact logic above has failed...and ive witnessed it more than once.
    same thing meaty said...ive seen as well..im like let me leave some behind. went back...2 weeks to the public library.....gone, " we through them out"

"oh leave these records so the new generation can play them at the station"...2 years later..all gone. is that karma as well ?? cmon.
    so, the way i see it...some new jack herb got them instead of me. dog eat dog.
    a very good friend of mine, came into 2 crates of records..like metal road cases and all. hits me up...um like mmmm i dont really want them..well my man aint givin em back...and he will certainly, easily find the next man who will gladly take them.
    karma does not exist...sorry. i used to think that it did.. but ive had far too much taken away from me to simply be on some old..."yeaa...thats karma" some man made shit to keep mufuckas in check..like religion. gthowtbs...4 real. the world is yours. know when to hold em..know when to fold em.

yall got shit so twisted on what is acceptable to steal...filesharing, downloading..shit... stealing peices of music made by others and now calling it your own, wait...is that...is that called rap music ?
    seems like some of yall think cuz its not tangible its all good.
    zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz on this topic.

You sound miserable.

Chopping off hands was some man made shit to keep those Karma believing mufuckas in check.

Deal.

yawn.

• PrimeCutsLtdPrimeCutsLtd jersey fresh 2,632 Posts
    I can't believe your library has records still. Where do you live? and what year is it there?

• RockadelicRockadelic Out Digging 13,993 Posts

yawn.

• stealing from library is bad, but stealing music in digital form is ok, i love the logic!

• beatlustbeatlust 142 Posts
    When you check-out a book like 'mien kampf' at the library your name supposedly ends up on a list compiled by 'them'.

Now if you went to the library what records could you check out and get on that same list??

• tripledoubletripledouble 7,636 Posts

i believe this is from one of the greatest sttorylines evarrrrrrrrrrrr

i have mixed feelings on this library matter
    vinyl is pretty much a medium whose time has passed
    too many libraries have destroyed their collections
    if they got something you really like and you dont want to steal it, make them a offer they cant refuse

if you steal it, donate a lot of dough to a library later in life, you should do this anyway

• i'm a student at one of the biggest music universities and work at one of the biggest university music libraries in the nation (2nd to the Univ. of Indiana) - our record collection is . we have the entire impulse! catalog, muza, folkways, flying dutchman, ect. most of the records are jazz/classical based, but there are many psych, folk, experimental electronics, stuff from the 60s and 70s. hardly anyone ever checks them out, with the exception of myself and a couple of other guys (mostly checking out the beatles and the rolling stones) i'd never steal a record from the music library, but sometimes you can't help day dream about taking a couple rare records that you know have sold for a couple hundred bucks on ebay. i wish more people investigated our collection in this area and started listening to some funky raers! it's great to have the resource of a music library - great sampling potential!

ummm...what school is that?

• yuichiyuichi Urban sprawl 11,331 Posts

DON'T BE TRYING TO STEAL!

• i'm a student at one of the biggest music universities and work at one of the biggest university music libraries in the nation (2nd to the Univ. of Indiana) - our record collection is . we have the entire impulse! catalog, muza, folkways, flying dutchman, ect. most of the records are jazz/classical based, but there are many psych, folk, experimental electronics, stuff from the 60s and 70s. hardly anyone ever checks them out, with the exception of myself and a couple of other guys (mostly checking out the beatles and the rolling stones) i'd never steal a record from the music library, but sometimes you can't help day dream about taking a couple rare records that you know have sold for a couple hundred bucks on ebay. i wish more people investigated our collection in this area and started listening to some funky raers! it's great to have the resource of a music library - great sampling potential!

That doesn't surprise me. When I visited Oberlin, their library had tons of rare jazz.

• know when to hold em..know when to fold em.
    know when to

• DrWuDrWu 4,021 Posts
    What kinds of raers have people seen in libraries? I can't think of anything off hand.

What kinds of raers have people seen in libraries? I can't think of anything off hand.

seriously deep
    les demerle
    marie queenie lyons
    gandalf
    chakachas (avco LP)
    skullsnaps
    great adventures of slick rick

• buttonbutton 1,475 Posts
    Come to think of it, its not really even stealing so much as its forcing them to sell. In addition to passe, this thread is now null AND void. Thank you all for your input.

• DORDOR Two Ron Toe 9,899 Posts
    stealing from library is bad, but stealing music in digital form is ok, i love the logic!

I'm not sure I'm understanding things here. You guys mean copyright infringement correct?

• mannybolonemannybolone Los Angeles, CA 15,025 Posts

I'm not sure I'm understanding things here. You guys mean copyright infringement correct?

The analogy doesn't make any sense.

But at the end of the day, I think HCrink's post was the wisest: do whatever dirt you want but don't post about it.

• akoako https://soundcloud.com/a-ko 3,413 Posts
    skullsnaps

what library was this???

• akoako https://soundcloud.com/a-ko 3,413 Posts
    But at the end of the day, I think HCrink's post was the wisest: do whatever dirt you want but don't post about it.

yep. ive learned this the hard way.

• sabadabadasabadabada 5,966 Posts
    a knee jerk reaction to the word "stealing"?

are there nuanced reactions to stealing that i dont know about?

• high_chigh_c 1,384 Posts

judging by his location "Loc: 4th floor Willis Library" that's UNT, formerly NTSU.

Not only is their archive probably nuts, but the Dallas library donates all new donations that come their way to UNT so their constantly adding stuff. And I bought a lot of records from the Dallas library and there were plenty of desireable joints in there, all looked unplayed.

Chicago Jazz Rock, Esther Marrow on Flying Dutchman, Melinda OST and dude I went with went in before me and scooped pretty much every blaxploitation LP immagineable. Oh and they had a Bongo Rock LP that wasn't for sale that I thought about stealing but didn't so soulstrut (and karma) wouldn't get mad at me.

• ummm...what school is that?

judging by his location "Loc: 4th floor Willis Library" that's UNT, formerly NTSU.

Not only is their archive probably nuts, but the Dallas library donates all new donations that come their way to UNT so their constantly adding stuff. And I bought a lot of records from the Dallas library and there were plenty of desireable joints in there, all looked unplayed.

Chicago Jazz Rock, Esther Marrow on Flying Dutchman, Melinda OST and dude I went with went in before me and scooped pretty much every blaxploitation LP immagineable. Oh and they had a Bongo Rock LP that wasn't for sale that I thought about stealing but didn't so soulstrut (and karma) wouldn't get mad at me.

yup! i think i'm one of few jazz heads here that listen to '68 - '78 fusion, spiritual, free jazz...UNT's jazz program is elite, but traditional. Jim Hall was suppose to come last week; everyone was excited, but he canceled and John Abercrombie filled the spot instead...a more solid guitarist, i cannot think of, anti-bright, grimey sound. most of the traditional cats didn't even know who he was, but he played some great stuff.

high-c, is the monthly record swap still going on?

stealing is stealing, but as ive stated b4 i prefer stealing car stereos, where do you park again?

Toyota stock stereos are actually worth something?

• high_chigh_c 1,384 Posts

high-c, is the monthly record swap still going on?

actually yes... after 3+ months of hiatus, Sunday Feb the 24th constituted the revival of the Swap which is now being held at the Green Elephant off Greenville. This month's will be on the 30th. Steal some primo Yazz from the Willis vaults and we'll see you in a few weeks.

• high-c, is the monthly record swap still going on?

actually yes... after 3+ months of hiatus, Sunday Feb the 24th constituted the revival of the Swap which is now being held at the Green Elephant off Greenville. This month's will be on the 30th. Steal some primo Yazz from the Willis vaults and we'll see you in a few weeks.

• Birdman9Birdman9 5,417 Posts
    Did you even read the bullet points or was this just a knee jerk reaction to the word "stealing"? Point B especially is a pretty strong one.

Did you even read what you wrote? Or are you just trying to justify "stealing"? Isn't stealing always wrong?

I get tired of the 7-year old mentality around here regarding this.

If you steal, have the decency not to share it with anyone. No one wants to pat idiots on the back for pulling shady shit. I could give a fuck if you steal, but where people get the nuts to ask stupid questions like this I will never understand.

If you don't steal, no one wants to pat idiots on the back for not doing what people shouldn't do in the first place.

Elementary school shit.

• DORDOR Two Ron Toe 9,899 Posts

stealing is stealing, but as ive stated b4 i prefer stealing car stereos, where do you park again?

Toyota stock stereos are actually worth something?

Try getting insurance on your MP3 collection...

Try getting insurance on your MP3 collection...

Million dollar crates HDs!

• FatbackFatback 6,746 Posts
    threads about stealing records are such a good look on so many levels. keep it up.

• JroamJroam 257 Posts
    My dad told me he stole a first edition book from the library about three years ago, He said there were three soft-cover copies of the same title next to the original. I don't think he ever returned the book OR forgave himelf. I think Hcrinks' advice stands.