BUDDY MILES DEAD AT AGE 60

2»

Comments

• LaserWolfLaserWolf Portland Oregon 11,517 Posts
    RIP

He was a friend of Monty's. Monty posted about his medical troubles and a fund to help him pay bills. Can someone find that post?

He was the California Raisins, for those who may have forgotten.

Them changes.

• SwayzeSwayze 14,705 Posts

one of the first records i bought when i first started diggin

same here... RIP. such a young man too....

me 3. i would love a post of the inside of the gatefold. I used to stare at that picture for hours.

Me 4. I think it was in my parents collection. It took me a long time to appreciate Neil Young's "Down By the River" after so many years of hearing that one.

He was young, but he lived a life most people can only dream of.

R.I.P. Mr. Miles.

Yup, me 5. I remember going through Jerry's Records in Pburgh as a young digger, finding that image and being "Oh, this has got to be good."

RIP

• PrimeCutsLtdPrimeCutsLtd jersey fresh 2,632 Posts
    R.I.P.

I didn't know he played on the three man army lp...too young to die!

• R.I.P.

Wow, where'd you read that?

• one of the first records i bought when i first started diggin

me 3. i would love a post of the inside of the gatefold. I used to stare at that picture for hours.

Me 4. I think it was in my parents collection. It took me a long time to appreciate Neil Young's "Down By the River" after so many years of hearing that one.

R.I.P. Mr. Miles.

Yup, me 5. I remember going through Jerry's Records in Pburgh as a young digger, finding that image and being "Oh, this has got to be good."

RIP

I remember Miles being somewhat of a superstar when I was a kid in the early '70s. My earliest memory of him is seeing him on The Midnight Special on TV, jamming with Billy Preston, who was just starting his commercial heyday. Even though both men were popular on their own terms, it's funny how most of the testimonies I've seen on the Net talk about who Preston and Miles played WITH than the music they played themselves. That's kind of a misrepresentation. Ask any stoner who went to a lot of shows back then; during the Nixon era, Buddy Miles was a Frickin' fact of life.

I understand that there was a point in the early seventies where a Deep Purple/Buddy Miles show held the record for being the rowdiest, loudest concert ever held at Chicago's Aragon Ballroom. And in a venue that also presented Iggy & the Stooges and Blue Cheer, that's one hell of a distinction. The Aragon is still around, so I'm sure some other, louder bands have come along since (this was pre-punk, after all), but for a few years there Buddy Miles and Deep Purple were the ones holding the title of Aragon hell-raisers.

• batmonbatmon 27,574 Posts
    Rest in peace, was just playing Band of Gypsies last night on the radio and talking about how much better Hendrix's music was when they played together.

R.I.P.

My love for the Experience was altered after i heard Jimi w/ Miles. Mind Garden Changes.

• LaserWolfLaserWolf Portland Oregon 11,517 Posts

one of the first records i bought when i first started diggin

R.I.P. Mr. Miles.

RIP

I remember Miles being somewhat of a superstar when I was a kid in the early '70s. My earliest memory of him is seeing him on The Midnight Special on TV, jamming with Billy Preston, who was just starting his commercial heyday. Even though both men were popular on their own terms, it's funny how most of the testimonies I've seen on the Net talk about who Preston and Miles played WITH than the music they played themselves. That's kind of a misrepresentation. Ask any stoner who went to a lot of shows back then; during the Nixon era, Buddy Miles was a Frickin' fact of life.

I understand that there was a point in the early seventies where a Deep Purple/Buddy Miles show held the record for being the rowdiest, loudest concert ever held at Chicago's Aragon Ballroom. And in a venue that also presented Iggy & the Stooges and Blue Cheer, that's one hell of a distinction. The Aragon is still around, so I'm sure some other, louder bands have come along since (this was pre-punk, after all), but for a few years there Buddy Miles and Deep Purple were the ones holding the title of Aragon hell-raisers.

Buddy Miles (and Preston) were superstars with their own hits, but were also known for who they were with, like Stephen Stills.

Some how, I never once heard him in concert. Maybe I started going to shows a little too late.

I always thought those Electric Flag records were a dissapointment, should I listen again?

• verb606verb606 2,518 Posts
    The Aragon is still around, so I'm sure some other, louder bands have come along since (this was pre-punk, after all), but for a few years there Buddy Miles and Deep Purple were the ones holding the title of Aragon hell-raisers.

Damn, I didn't know that. I wonder if they started calling it the "Brawlroom" after that. That must have been a hell of a show.

RIP. Buddy Miles was a badass of the highest order. I pull out Band of Gypsys on the regular. "Them Changes" is my cut. He'll be missed.

• one of the first records i bought when i first started diggin

R.I.P. Mr. Miles.

RIP

I'm showing my age here, but when I was a teenage record buyer in the eighties, Them Changes was still in print and I bought my copy factory fresh from Mr. T's Records in Chicago. It ain't "factory fresh" no more, obviously - that following summer I must have played the back off of that whole LP. Grooved to the title track, "Memphis Train" and "Heart's Delight" (plus others!); laughed at the Neil Young impersonation on "Down By The River"; thought the sensitive love ballad "I Still Love You Anyway" was a little over-the-top, but dug it anyway ("you don't realize or understand/what it meant when you pushed away my hand"). Looked at the gatefold pictures of Miles hanging out in the park with his bandmates. This was clearly a classic album of it's time, if a tad underrated.

He actually lived in Chicago for a few years in the nineties, and I got to meet him off and on. One of my fondest memories is coming out of a P-Funk show at what seemed like 3 AM, dazed by the continuous music I just heard, when out of a side door stepped Miles and his entourage, also on their way out of the theater. And sure enough, the few of us who were standing around were as happy to see Miles as we would have been seeing George Clinton himself...sleep on, Buddy.

• Buddy Miles was a badass of the highest order.

You got that right. Not to speak ill of the dead, but after Lester Bangs gave a Buddy Miles LP a bad review in Rolling Stone, Miles himself paid a visit to the Stone offices and kicked in the water cooler. I understand Rolling Stone tightened up their building security after that incident.

• I always thought those Electric Flag records were a dissapointment, should I listen again?

I still believe that A Long Time Coming is a classic LP. One of Miles' best performances as a vocalist was on "You Don't Realize"; totally understated Memphis soul ballad, and he's not showboating or oversouling like he tended to do later on his own records. For such a hard-looking guy, Miles could sound vulnerable and have you believe it. I always did love his delivery of the line "all the money I made that you burned/was so hard to earn/it don't come from the sky." Their soundtrack to The Trip (on Sidewalk) is pretty good too.

Haven't heard the others, and from all reports I wouldn't want to.

• PrimeCutsLtdPrimeCutsLtd jersey fresh 2,632 Posts
    R.I.P.

Wow, where'd you read that?

http://www.alexgitlin.com/npp/tma.htm