Common/Just Blaze: Light 2008 (Catnip!)

mannybolonemannybolone Los Angeles, CA 15,025 Posts
edited February 2008 in Strut Central

Comments

• although that line "like the love that's displayed in ten-nis" is a little

• I likes. You cannot fuck with the drums on the OG, but this is a good song. I like the beat.

• although that line "like the love that's displayed in ten-nis" is a little

I had the same reaction, but at least if you think about it you can see what he's trying to say. The limitless part.

• it's good. I like how they just made a new song. If i heard this on the radio or something i don't think i'd even make the connection right away that's it an update of the light.

i'm curious to hear the q tip one.

• I likes. You cannot fuck with the drums on the OG, but this is a good song. I like the beat.
    Yeah, likewise. The concept is a bit tired though. Not the idea of remaking that song, just Comm's whole steez on it in general.

• mannybolonemannybolone Los Angeles, CA 15,025 Posts
    I likes. You cannot fuck with the drums on the OG, but this is a good song. I like the beat.
    Yeah, likewise. The concept is a bit tired though. Not the idea of remaking that song, just Comm's whole steez on it in general.

I mean, if you're going to remake some shit, remake "Soul by the Pound" or "Resurrection."

• I mean, if you're going to remake some shit, remake "Soul by the Pound" or "Resurrection."

Please do not touch either one of those songs.

• I mean, if you're going to remake some shit, remake "Soul by the Pound" or "Resurrection."

saying. if you're gonna remake some shit, how about one of his less-good songs.

Also incorrect.

If he didn't get those right the first time around, he does not get a do-over. How about you just make good new music for a change?

For the record, I liked exactly one song--"The People"--from his latest album. And even that sounds like it was a lost track from Like Water.... Sad stuff, considering he was once one of my very favorite MCs.

Also incorrect.

Third time's the charm!

Both of these songs were remixed back when they were still in rotation. Those remixes are the classics, moreso than the originals. Just himself would admit there's little he can do to improve upon them at this point.

• magneticmagnetic 2,678 Posts
    Common + Just Blaze =

Also incorrect.

Third time's the charm!

Both of these songs were remixed back when they were still in rotation. Those remixes are the classics, moreso than the originals. Just himself would admit there's little he can do to improve upon them at this point.

Hold up! I personally prefer the album version of "Resurrection" to the remix, but only slightly.

And yes, the "Soul By The Pound" remix trumps the original.

• Common + Just Blaze =
    Yeah, it's a good pairing. Kanye's tracks tend to accent Comm's already mellow flow and delivery, whereas Just Blaze's sound gives him more of an edge. I hope he produces more than just one track for Comm's next record.

Also incorrect.

Third time's the charm!

Hold up! I personally prefer the album version of "Resurrection" to the remix, but only slightly.

We may need to take this to a poll.

It's a really hard call.

Ok, revision:

How about remix something OTHER than "The Light"?

I agree, no one's going to improve on the "Soul by the Pound" remix or the "Resurrection" remix (I happen to agree ith Ross - I still like the OG more than the Extra P remixes but only by a hair).

Umm...Just Blaze does a "Charm's Alarm" remix?

b/w

Not like "Criminal Minded" needed a remix either.

• jaymackjaymack 5,199 Posts
    Ok, revision:

How about remix something OTHER than "The Light"?

thats what i say. this is ACTUALLY THE THIRD version of this song. there's already a remix with badu on the hook.

it only makes people harder on the criticism.

• Hold up! I personally prefer the album version of "Resurrection" to the remix, but only slightly.

I also agree.

Soul By The Pound remix makes it harder and more enjoyable. Resurrection remix is dope in a different way, but the album version is pretty much as good as it gets already. Dope video as well.

• Hold up! I personally prefer the album version of "Resurrection" to the remix, but only slightly.

which resurrection remix though... ?

• MjukisMjukis 1,675 Posts
    I mean, if you're going to remake some shit, remake "Soul by the Pound" or "Resurrection."

I nominate Electric Wire Hustle Flower.

I like this.

• BsidesBsides 4,244 Posts
    ummmm...what happened to just blaze?

wack

which resurrection remix though... ?

Both (the Large Pro and the one that's just slightly different from the album version).

• Aha, but there are TWO Large Pro remixes though!

I love both of them. I think they edge out the album version in a one-to-one battle but I haven't reprogrammed the album in my ipod with the remix leading off or anything.

The third remix you're talking about is the one that uses the original beat, with some additional filtering, and adds the lyrics from the Large Pro remixes.

Aha, but there are TWO Large Pro remixes though!

I love both of them. I think they edge out the album version in a one-to-one battle but I haven't reprogrammed the album in my ipod with the remix leading off or anything.

The third remix you're talking about is the one that uses the original beat, with some additional filtering, and adds the lyrics from the Large Pro remixes.

"Grooveman Spot" remix of "Resurrection" was pretty tight too.

• the beat is good, commons delivery is good but it still doesn't touch the og. why would you update a classic? doesn't classic mean timeless.... i suppose if it was a tribute, but.

• thats what i say. this is ACTUALLY THE THIRD version of this song. there's already a remix with badu on the hook.

now THAT version is nice. this one i ain't feelin.