G.I.JOE Appreciation Post

2»

Comments

• So the white dudes get to be the sea, air, and land adventurers, and adventurer commander, and the black dude is just a generic adventurer?

Get it straight. Specialized adventuring is for the white boys.

as is growing a beard....

• batmonbatmon 27,574 Posts
    So the white dudes get to be the sea, air, and land adventurers, and adventurer commander, and the black dude is just a generic adventurer?

Get it straight. Specialized adventuring is for the white boys.

as is growing a beard....

• DB_CooperDB_Cooper Manhatin' 7,823 Posts

And where is he supposed to be adventuring anyway? The surface of the sun?

• dmacdmac 472 Posts

i think thats the one with the parting shot:
    "...whats that?"
    "...my record collection!"

• hemolhemol 2,578 Posts
    who sent in proofs of purchases and 5 bucks and whatever for the Refrigerator Perry GI Joe?

I had that joint.

Yes sir. The Fridge.

I bugged for the bridgelayer:

Who remembers all the figures from the Sergeant Slaughter movie? Golobulus was wild because he had that crazy tail thing.

• BurnsBurns 2,227 Posts
    This thread is so incomplete without these.

Pork Chop sandwiches is 100% perfection.

so many quoteables in these.

"aww hell no, what's up dog?"
    "hey dood, you cooking?"
    "last one there's a penis pump"
    "give him the stick...don't give him the stick"
    "do you know my dad?"

I had to quote all three of those, fuckin' way too funny. I need them on DVD for parties. That Pork Chop sandwiches "is" 100% perfection

• dmacdmac 472 Posts

But isn't that Big Jim?

Big Jim didn't matter much until he wised up, copped a Nick Fury attitude and hired some way baaaad dudes to form the P.A.C.K.:

If Jack Kirby is drawing your comic book ad, you're permanently in the cool toy book.

• dmacdmac 472 Posts

• LazerLazer 796 Posts

in 8th grade i took apart globulus and zartan and successfuly mated the globulous serpent tail with the color changing zartan upper body. some years after that, he hung from my rear view mirror for 5 years. his body stayed permanently blue after one year dangling in the sun. i miss that thing. he was eventually thrown out the window at an offending motorist.

• Mom threw away ALL my Batman and GI Joe comics, along with my self-airbrushed/rhinestoneded denim jacket with The Punisher on the back. She says she didn't, but she knows that I know that she's being a liarface.

I miss those comics. A friend of a friend has the Storm Shadow red-blocks tattoo on his forearm. Fresh.

• To this day, when someone says "Now you know," I usually reply "and knowing is half the battle."

family friend was the voice of Commander Flint on the cartoons. lil bro and I would get such a kick out of getting him to do the voice when we were playing. he was also adept at lighting farts on fire.

also, I'm pretty sure I had every single one of the figures from that $700 ebay lot.

even Zarna

WHOLY MUTHAFUCKIN SHIT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

GAME THE FUCK OVER!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Say hello to Snake Eyes ??? just don't expect him to say anything back.
    This is the first character reveal from next summer's G.I. Joe movie ??? the mute, faceless, black-clad ninja commando, among the most famous of the good guys from the 1980s incarnation of the decades-old Hasbro toy line.

Just as Paramount breathed new life into the Transformers franchise last summer, the studio is hoping to do the same to this sci-fi soldier series about a team of military experts battling the villainous Cobra organization.

G.I. Joe refers to the team, not any one person, and Snake Eyes is its mysterious lone wolf. In the movie, shooting now and set for August 2009, this fearsome figure is played by Ray Park (Darth Maul in the first Star Wars prequel).

"He's the world's greatest ninja, but he's also next-generation. He's not afraid to use a sword one second, and a split-second later he's pulling out his Glock," says director Stephen Sommers (The Mummy and Van Helsing). "His chief nemesis is arguably the world's other great ninja, Storm Shadow. The two grew up together, were blood brothers and now are mortal enemies."

• pacmanpacman 1,114 Posts

This is the first character reveal from next summer's G.I. Joe movie ??? the mute, faceless, black-clad ninja commando, among the most famous of the good guys from the 1980s incarnation of the decades-old Hasbro toy line.

Just as Paramount breathed new life into the Transformers franchise last summer, the studio is hoping to do the same to this sci-fi soldier series about a team of military experts battling the villainous Cobra organization.

G.I. Joe refers to the team, not any one person, and Snake Eyes is its mysterious lone wolf. In the movie, shooting now and set for August 2009, this fearsome figure is played by Ray Park (Darth Maul in the first Star Wars prequel).

"He's the world's greatest ninja, but he's also next-generation. He's not afraid to use a sword one second, and a split-second later he's pulling out his Glock," says director Stephen Sommers (The Mummy and Van Helsing). "His chief nemesis is arguably the world's other great ninja, Storm Shadow. The two grew up together, were blood brothers and now are mortal enemies."

• alieNDNalieNDN 2,181 Posts
    anyone see the silent gi joe comics of a battle between storm shadow and snake eyes? i wanted to check that out.

anyone see the silent gi joe comics of a battle between storm shadow and snake eyes? i wanted to check that out

I never read it but there's a classic Joe Marvel comic w/ Snake Eyes infiltratres a C.O.B.R.A stronghold to rescue Scarlett. And this is where that Silent concept originates. I think its Gijoe#11.

anyone see the silent gi joe comics of a battle between storm shadow and snake eyes? i wanted to check that out

I never read it but there's a classic Joe Marvel comic w/ Snake Eyes infiltratres a C.O.B.R.A stronghold to rescue Scarlett. And this is where that Silent concept originates. I think its Gijoe#11.

Does this qualify as reading, though? If so, I just read the elevator on the way back from lunch.

Does this qualify as reading, though? If so, I just read the elevator on the way back from lunch.

R.I.F.

• dayday 9,611 Posts

That looks but after watching this, I'm not getting my hopes up...

I was referring to the concept of a comic book without words being construed as reading, which I imagine you realized since you pulled that last image.

But to take it piece by piece,

Egyptian hieroglyphics???once thought to be ideographic (which is still a form of writing, and can thus be "read"), have been shown to be phonetically linked to modern Coptic. In other words, the symbols actually correspond to specific verbal sounds, and are thus "writing" in the traditional Western sense.

I can't read graffiti half the time, but if there are letters there, you're reading, if not, you're seeing.

I've seen this dude before on the way to a Yankee game, or maybe there a a legion of dudes using the same sign. I gave him a buck. I gave a couple of bucks to the guy with a sign that said "Need money to buy alcohol", though. I appreciate honesty.

R.I.F.

Egyptian hieroglyphics???once thought to be ideographic (which is still a form of writing, and can thus be "read"), have been shown to be phonetically linked to modern Coptic. In other words, the symbols actually correspond to specific verbal sounds, and are thus "writing" in the traditional Western sense.

"traditional "WESTERN" sense" - doesnt that weaken your observation?

I think several lunch beers have weakened my observation substantially. Damned March Madness.

But my point is, in either the ideographic sense as they were previously construed or the phonetic sense in which they are current construed, Egyptian hieroglyphics are writing.

This is not:

The art is though.

I think several lunch beers have weakened my observation substantially. Damned March Madness.

But my point is, in either the ideographic sense as they were previously construed or the phonetic sense in which they are current construed, Egyptian hieroglyphics are writing.

This is not:

The art is though.

It depends on how broad or "literal" your defininition of reading is.

Have your ever read someones face or read situation. Its all interpreting symbols, whether it is a letter or a raised eyebrow or a emblem on a running costumed detective. Visual language is reading right?

Have your ever read someones face or read situation. Its all interpreting symbols, whether it is a letter or a raised eyebrow or a emblem on a running costumed detective.

Touche, salesman.

• phongonephongone 1,652 Posts
    haha it's funny how 30year old dude still nerd out over this shit.

• beatlustbeatlust 142 Posts
    To this day, when someone says "Now you know," I usually reply "and knowing is half the battle."

:beerbang: