G.I.JOE Appreciation Post

batmonbatmon 27,574 Posts
edited February 2008 in Strut Central
I remember my pops brought home the Kung-Fu Grip Brother w/ the lifelike natural...it was over.Later in life I attended a Toy Convention(circa 81) at the Colluseum which is now the Time Warner Center at Columbus Circle. One of the booth were displaying a comic that would promote the new G.I.Joe.... The OG Action Figures were the shit, but I had to admit liking the superheroization of the New bunch. The new cartoon was fuckin incredible. And the movies were hot too.Duke was the OG leader w/ Hawk being the field dude. Then Flint came later.This Is arguably the G.O.A.T. toy. Star Wars is crazy but Hasbro started the whole shit.

Comments

• facesdfacesd 236 Posts
    Remember when the Zartan action figure came out?....his skin would change color in the sun. I was absolutely bugged out to find this toy when it came out. I think it came with a scooter/hoover mobile thing as well.

• batmonbatmon 27,574 Posts

• i think thats the one with the parting shot:
    "...whats that?"
    "...my record collection!"

• are g.i joe's selling for anything these days?

• dolls are for little girls.

unless that doll is mounted on a plastic harley.

• SwayzeSwayze 14,705 Posts
    dolls are for little girls.

Saba's dolls ARE little girls.

Remember when the Zartan action figure came out?....his skin would change color in the sun. I was absolutely bugged out to find this toy when it came out. I think it came with a scooter/hoover mobile thing as well.

hells yea

Zartan was like Boba Fett. Everybody wanted one of these. Dude would change to blue.
    Somebody YouTube that commercial.

• PonyPony 2,283 Posts
    The Dreadnoks were my shit!

• Remember when the Zartan action figure came out?....his skin would change color in the sun. I was absolutely bugged out to find this toy when it came out. I think it came with a scooter/hoover mobile thing as well.

hells yea

Zartan was like Boba Fett. Everybody wanted one of these. Dude would change to blue.
    Somebody YouTube that commercial.

no everyone wanted FireFly storm shadow& snakeyes

• GI JOE IS THE REASON I HAD A HAPPY CHILDHOOD!

They're making a movie too. Hope they don't blow it.

p.s. I buried Zartan in the sandbox for a week and when i dug him up he was blue...

are g.i joe's selling for anything these days?

A little somethin'..and dont even talk about the OGs

• dayday 9,611 Posts
    are g.i joe's selling for anything these days?

You could say that.

And that's cheap.

• high_chigh_c 1,384 Posts
    who sent in proofs of purchases and 5 bucks and whatever for the Refrigerator Perry GI Joe?

I had that joint.

• who sent in proofs of purchases and 5 bucks and whatever for the Refrigerator Perry GI Joe?

I had that joint.

I still have mine. Sgt. Slaughter too.

• DB_CooperDB_Cooper Manhatin' 7,823 Posts
    To this day, when someone says "Now you know," I usually reply "and knowing is half the battle."

• dayday 9,611 Posts
    who sent in proofs of purchases and 5 bucks and whatever for the Refrigerator Perry GI Joe?

I had that joint.

Whoa. What about Hooded Cobra Commander? I never did any of those mail away things but they always had cool shit.

• i have the hooded cobra commander which was a mail in

• high_chigh_c 1,384 Posts
    I still have mine. Sgt. Slaughter too.

wish i did. but god had other plans for mine:

+

=

• This thread is so incomplete without these.

Pork Chop sandwiches is 100% perfection.

so many quoteables in these.

"aww hell no, what's up dog?"
    "hey dood, you cooking?"
    "last one there's a penis pump"
    "give him the stick...don't give him the stick"
    "do you know my dad?"

• i remember when I tried to find Destro, Raer and none of my friends could find him the store. he was discontinued in the US in 1986 I believe.

• HarveyCanalHarveyCanal "a distraction from my main thesis." 13,234 Posts
    Christmas 1975...I'll never forget getting a GI Joe (I'm pretty sure I shaved his face shortly after getting him too), a raft, and a white tiger.

• holmesholmes 3,532 Posts
    i have the hooded cobra commander which was a mail in
    Same here, did he come with a windsurfer or something too, I still have that also. I had about 30 or so I think when I was a kid. I also had maybe 6-10 of the vehicles. I saw them still in my old wardrobe when I went home to visit last weekend. All the figures are stored in a Masters Of The Universe lunchbox. I need to sell it all I think. I even have all the file cards cut out & stored with them, weapons too. Fun.

Christmas 1975...I'll never forget getting a GI Joe (I'm pretty sure I shaved his face shortly after getting him too), a raft, and a white tiger.

• three words.

mobile

support

vehicle

• HarveyCanalHarveyCanal "a distraction from my main thesis." 13,234 Posts

Yeah, I remember that tent and the canteen coming in the white tiger set...but not the alligator.

The inflatable boat I got was a separate accessory...maybe even as part of a set of its own...as I'm kinda remembering some sort of underwater propuslion device that came with it that strapped onto Joe's back (or something like that...I was only 4 years old at the time).

Yeah, I remember that tent and the canteen coming in the white tiger set...but not the alligator.

The inflatable boat I got was a separate accessory...maybe even as part of a set of its own...as I'm kinda remembering some sort of underwater propuslion device that came with it that strapped onto Joe's back (or something like that...I was only 4 years old at the time).

yeah i think the above pics are someones collage.

The White Tiger Hunt Set is separate from the Water Raft set.

• volumenvolumen 2,532 Posts
    I only rocked the full size GI Joe int he 70's. I was over dolls by the time they went mini. Plus I had the wooden "foot locker" that held all his gear. Later on that turned into the case for my Star Wars collectors cards. I think the frist GI Joe comic is worth about $40 or so. I still have a bunch of those. The Snake Eyes issue with no words........

• DB_CooperDB_Cooper Manhatin' 7,823 Posts

So the white dudes get to be the sea, air, and land adventurers, and adventurer commander, and the black dude is just a generic adventurer?

The Snake Eyes issue with no words........

• dmacdmac 472 Posts
    So the white dudes get to be the sea, air, and land adventurers, and adventurer commander, and the black dude is just a generic adventurer?

Get it straight. Specialized adventuring is for the white boys. Check out the paranoid looks, too.
    Black adventurer could do it all. No sweat.