Academy Awards wrap-up

Comments

• bassiebassie 11,710 Posts
    Hmmm, my two most hated films on that list actually rated with you...not sure if I should trust you...ahhhh I am just being silly! I will check out Gone Baby Gone.

That's fair. Taste is a personal thing.

For sure, and of course, it's not as 'if y =x, then x must = z' as I making it out to be.

• SwayzeSwayze 14,705 Posts
    we both were very disappointed by the flick and Al Pacino's Latin skills.

Huh? But you cosign for his Latin skills in Scarface?

I don't get it.

Cuba = Puerto Rico?

I'm pretty sure they were going for an semi-ambiguous nationality in Carlito's. Not only that, Carilto's dialogue wasn't necessarily Boriquen, it seemed to mix a lot of different "urban" influences.

Any way you cut it, the performance in Carlito's trumps the hell out of his own performance in Scarface.

• WoimsahWoimsah 1,734 Posts
    For a bunch of people who are so sanctimonious and smug in their assurances of their superiority to us mere mortals, they certainly operate with a heavy hand.

It appears that they have completely given up on trying to lure American movie goers back into the theaters to fork over $12 - $15 to watch the crappy movies their kids (now all actors, directors, etc. in the family business) make, and are trying to salvage what is left of the foreign market. And of course to ingratiate themselves with the elite European one-worlders who they are forever desperately trying to imitate.

isn't someone supposed to say "you sound white" here?

uuuummm......you sound like you were in Juno?

• batmonbatmon 27,574 Posts

I don't get it.

Cuba = Puerto Rico?

I'm pretty sure they were going for an semi-ambiguous nationality in Carlito's. Not only that, Carilto's dialogue wasn't necessarily Boriquen, it seemed to mix a lot of different "urban" influences.

That sounds like an excuse from a fan. Dude didnt pull it off. Simple.

John Leguzamo "Urban Influences" > Pacino

• WoimsahWoimsah 1,734 Posts
    a woman who I assume was married to a Cohen brother was major geeked.

Josh Brolin's dad sells mufflers and snuggles with Babs.

That's Frances McDormand b....

I don't get it.

Cuba = Puerto Rico?

You might need to go back and watch the movie again. I re-watched last week. You're totally off mark here... with everything.

• a woman who I assume was married to a Cohen brother was major geeked.

oh. I didn't know they were married. She looked very excited for him.

a woman who I assume was married to a Cohen brother was major geeked.

oh. I didn't know they were married. She looked very excited for him.

She's married to Joel.

• Mystic River: I thought this was fine but I didn't find it super-compelling as filmmaking. I thought Kevin Bacon seemed a bit out of sorts and Sean Penn was a little over the top.

that scene where penn is being held back the cops is so ridiculous. i can't believe he got props for that performance

I don't get it.

Cuba = Puerto Rico?

You might need to go back and watch the movie again. I re-watched last week. You're totally off mark here... with everything.

sopranos fan

I don't get it.

Cuba = Puerto Rico?

sopranos fan

[kvh]

[/kvh]

• that scene where penn is being held back the cops is so ridiculous. i can't believe he got props for that performance

I thought that movie was a little too much too.

in an unrelated note, did you know that Sean Penn is doing a Harvey Milk movie with him as Harvey Milk. Should be cool. This guy I know is working on it and it sounded like a good cast with lots of money behind it and they are filming stuff here in SF. Should be a good watch,

• that scene where penn is being held back the cops is so ridiculous. i can't believe he got props for that performance

in an unrelated note, did you know that Sean Penn is doing a Harvey Milk movie with him as Harvey Milk. Should be cool. This guy I know is working on it and it sounded like a good cast with lots of money behind it and they are filming stuff here in SF. Should be a good watch,

i dont think you could surpass the documentary, i certainly dont think sean penn can.

Have I told you how much I love lists?

Crash [/b] - garbage and I am owed money with interest for sitting through it.

American Beauty[/b] - hated it and can't even talk about it without getting heated

Mystic River[/b] - it was OK, but then WHAT THE HELL WAS THAT PLOT TWIST? Out of nowhere, Laura Linney is the psycho wife who will do anything to protect her man? There was absolutely no indication of this anywhere in the movie and then they throw that in in the last 15 minutes of the film? No.

They Shoot Horses Don't They? [/b]- Please see this now.

Mo Better Blues [/b]- Uhg. So MOR it hurt.

Batman Begins[/b] - Saw it twice and would see it thrice.

Grease [/b] - Love it, Rizzo is one of the best female characters ever, There Are Worse Things I Can Do is a beautiful song, and I will never tire of the whole school dance section of the film. The biggest downer is the shitty messge Sandy's transformation sends out about becoming something you're not just to get a man.

Carlito's Way[/b]

Scarface[/b]

I think Carlito's Way is the better film, but I will never turn my back on Scarface.

• SPlDEYSPlDEY Vegas 3,375 Posts
    I found the telecast as dull as others have noted though I thought Jon did ok.

I wanted Amy Ryan > Tilda but only on some "Wire" love since I haven't watched "Gone Baby Gone."

I was totally riding for Cate blanchett, the only saving grace of that Dylan movie. Still blowing my mind with how well she portrayed him.

The Coen Brothers make great movies but imagine how dull dinner would be with them. Jesus, you'd think b/t the two of them, one of them would have something resembling a personality.

I've seen them much more excited and cynical before, really fun sense of humor. I dunno if it was shock or, that they didn't want to come off as douchebags?

- spidey

• i dont think you could surpass the documentary, i certainly dont think sean penn can.

no doubt. I enjoy seeing SF in period shots though and still think it's a good story and might turn out ok. The documentary is great. The twinkie defense is bonkers.

• I enjoy seeing SF in period shots though

that was the best part of Zodiac. I loved the first shot where they panned over the bay and had the embarcadero freeway still running in front of the ferry building. I guess that was CGI; it looked dope.

I watched them film a riot scene on Castro. I just happen to be walking by with my girl. We got dinner at Anchor Oyster Bar and had a front row seat.

(please do not turn this thread into an SF food thread)

I watched them film a riot scene on Castro. I just happen to be walking by with my girl. We got dinner at Anchor Oyster Bar and had a front row seat.

haha actually I was gonna tie your oyster bar/castro story to the retarded police academy thread!

haha actually I was gonna tie your oyster bar/castro story to the retarded police academy thread!

As long as you don't create another There Will Be Blood thread.

hahahaha! the Eagle Tavern here totally reminds me of the the Blue Oyster, but i am not all that familiar with other gay biker bars in the city

• DrWuDrWu 4,021 Posts

It's good is it? OK - just so we are on the same page as far as "good" is concerned, please rate these movies as simple 'good' and 'bad' - for the last two please indicate which you think is the better of the two:

Crash- beyond bad

American Beauty- Good, but I understand why you don't like it

Mystic River-Good until that terrible last part with Laura Linney making that ridiculous speech

They Shoot Horses Don't They?- Never seen it but it looks bad

Mo Better Blues-Bad, with good intentions

Batman Begins- I have only seen parts of it

Grease- Never seen the whole thing

Carlito's Way- Suprisingly good

Scarface-Surprisingly bad after seeing it again recently

• Is this related to any of the filming that is taking place a block away from the 'strutters record fetish boner shack, Groove Merchant? I saw a "star trailer", a lot of lighting equipment, and a production assistant with a headset blocking traffic about two(?) or three(?) weeks ago. Just wondering.

• DrWuDrWu 4,021 Posts
    I liked....

John Stewart, thought he was good with the one liners.

That Gospel song was great. Modern soul singers take note of proper get down withitness. Stop over singing that shit.

Tilda Swinton's skin. Literally alabaster like. She claims she has never watched the Oscars ever. Dug her clowning Georgie. She didn't deserve to win though. I would say that she wasn't even good in the movie.

Marion had the line of the night with the angels thing.

I agree with ODub, put the OG song category out its misery. Thank god ONCE won.

Alba's dress. J Garner looked stunning. She seems like she would be very boring to hang out with.

Clooney took his new girl out for a spin. My wife was not impressed.

This Sydney Pollack-directed Depression-era film about a dance marathon as a last stab at life starring Jane Fonda is not bad. It is depressing as all get out, but it is not bad.

• DrWuDrWu 4,021 Posts

This Sydney Pollack-directed Depression-era film about a dance marathon as a last stab at life starring Jane Fonda is not bad. It is depressing as all get out, but it is not bad.

I remember it from when I was a kid and it was listed in the Guiness Book as having the most oscar nominations ever.

How'd I do on the rest?

I remember it from when I was a kid and it was listed in the Guiness Book as having the most oscar nominations ever.

How'd I do on the rest?

lol - our lists seem to mostly agree.

yea, I think it's most nominations w/o one for best film.

• J Garner looked stunning.

I don't see it. to me she has a real severe-looking alien face. and sure we can all go on the internet and find some hot Maxim-style shots of her. but I think in real life ol girl prolly looks sorta bizarre.

J Garner looked stunning.

I don't see it. to me she has a real severe-looking alien face. and sure we can all go on the internet and find some hot Maxim-style shots of her. but I think in real life ol girl prolly looks sorta bizarre.

Nah, she was dolled up nicely for the show. Controlled Glam.

• DB_CooperDB_Cooper Manhatin' 7,823 Posts
    J Garner looked stunning.

There's something manly about her, but I can't quite put my finger on it.