Academy Awards wrap-up

Comments

• Options
    Anne Hathaway, Hannah Montana, Katherine Hiegel, and Heidi Klum

• batmonbatmon 27,574 Posts
    Anne Hathaway, Hannah Montana, Katherine Hiegel, and Heidi Klum

• Anne Hathaway

OK I guess I was thinking that was Rachel Weisz.

cotDAMN ol girl is pale. her shoulder is blinding me.

Is it me or is Gone With Wind Overated?

Anne Hathaway

cotDAMN ol girl is pale. her shoulder is blinding me.

• The show was over as soon as the steel drum made its appearance.

The show was over as soon as the steel drum made its appearance.

Those Enchantment songs were fuckin terrible.

• FatbackFatback 6,746 Posts
    Are these the new 'tribal' tats?

I'm also seeing a lot of sorority girls with the Bettie Page bangs.

• what a terrible tattoo. like it's not even a *good* pinup girl tattoo at all. she's wearing a very modern- and cheezy-looking bikini; it totally ruins the effect. and the lines and color are all wrong. a bad tattoo all around.

• I'm also seeing a lot of sorority girls with the Bettie Page bangs.

welcome to earth. bangs have been so in they are out since at least the fall.

• mannybolonemannybolone Los Angeles, CA 15,025 Posts
    when will odub bless us with his commentary?

Eh, I didn't have anything burning me up - I just figured it was more efficient to create a separate thread rather than everyone posting inside one of the 20 "There Will Be Blood" threads we have right now.

That said:

I found the telecast as dull as others have noted though I thought Jon did ok.

I wanted Amy Ryan > Tilda but only on some "Wire" love since I haven't watched "Gone Baby Gone."

Javier is a handsome man.

Daniel Day Lewis is an eloquent speaker - his acceptance speech might have been prepped but it still sounded better than Swinton comparing her agent's ass with that of her statue.

It's scary how much Diablo Cody speaks like she writes. I wasn't pulling for her though I won't knock her hustle either. I still think if she could win, Joss Whedon deserves some kind of retroactive award for inspiration.

The Coen Brothers make great movies but imagine how dull dinner would be with them. Jesus, you'd think b/t the two of them, one of them would have something resembling a personality.

Denzel's new do' makes him look like Common. NAGL.

I look forward to the day where "Best Original Song" dies the death it so richly deserves.

• Diablo Cody

Funny how homegirl kept her stripper name.

I'm hoping pregnancy thickens up Alba.

How come Norbit didn't win anything?

• bassiebassie 11,710 Posts
    Diablo Cody

Homegirl is smart! Makes for a good story and the kind of thing that gets her name out there if media/writers/hosts/etc. have something like that to refer to.

• DB_CooperDB_Cooper Manhatin' 7,823 Posts
    I haven't watched "Gone Baby Gone."

You and Bassie really should see this film. I know, I know???Ben Affleck. But I swear, it's so good, you'll find it hard to believe he was involved.

• I haven't watched "Gone Baby Gone."

You and Bassie really should see this film. I know, I know???Ben Affleck. But I swear, it's so good, you'll find it hard to believe he was involved.

Ben is talented behind the camera. That's where he should stay.

I haven't watched "Gone Baby Gone."

It's good is it? OK - just so we are on the same page as far as "good" is concerned, please rate these movies as simple 'good' and 'bad' - for the last two please indicate which you think is the better of the two:

Crash

American Beauty

Mystic River

They Shoot Horses Don't They?

Mo Better Blues

Batman Begins

Grease

Carlito's Way

Scarface

Thank You.

• So.... I'm assuming none of you geniuses watched the 60 minutes piece airing opposite the Oscars? The important and controversial piece on Don Siegelman?

Here's a synopsis: http://www.cbsnews.com/stories/2008/02/21/60minutes/main3859830.shtml

Crash - whatever

American Beauty - Good, but dont need to own it

Mystic River - didnt see it.

They Shoot Horses Don't They? - whatever

Mo Better Blues - top 5

Batman Begins - very good

Grease - own it

Carlito's Way - wack

Scarface - good but oversaturated as fuck

Out of 5 stars:

Crash[/b] - Two. Trite. So very, very trite.

American Beauty[/b] - Three. Not bad, but not as great as people tell me it is.

Mystic River[/b] - Four. Probably more like three and a half, but it gets a bump for being local. Local to me, that is.

They Shoot Horses Don't They?[/b] - N/A. Haven't seen it.

Mo Better Blues[/b] - N/A. Haven't seen it.

Batman Begins[/b] - Four and a half. I'm a sucker for a good superhero movie, though.

Grease[/b] - One star. I hate musicals. Except for Tommy. Which I merely dislike.

Carlito's Way[/b] - Four stars. One of Pacino's strongest roles (he has a tendancy to go way over the top).

Scarface[/b] - Two stars. I don't care how many t-shirts and jackets people make???it's really not a very good film.

• Crash - whatever

American Beauty - Good, but dont need to own it

Mystic River - didnt see it.

They Shoot Horses Don't They? - whatever

Mo Better Blues - top 5

Batman Begins - very good

Grease - own it

Carlito's Way - wack

Scarface - good but oversaturated as fuck

You own a copy of Grease, but think that Carlito's Way is wack????

• Diablo Cody

Homegirl is smart! Makes for a good story and the kind of thing that gets her name out there if media/writers/hosts/etc. have something like that to refer to.

You don't think getting reffered to as an ex-stripper will become really tired? In a sex-confused puritanical nation like the US, her being an ex-stripper will overshadow her movie writing talent. Its a shame, but people will always think about her as she "rubbed up on a few dicks" even though she got a shiny statue.

Hmmm, my two most hated films on that list actually rated with you...not sure if I should trust you...ahhhh I am just being silly! I will check out Gone Baby Gone.

You own a copy of Grease, but think that Carlito's Way is wack????

YES.

I went to see Carlito's Way in the movie theatre w/ my Boricua girlfrind at the time, and we both were very disappointed by the flick and Al Pacino's Latin skills.

• SwayzeSwayze 14,705 Posts
    we both were very disappointed by the flick and Al Pacino's Latin skills.

Huh? But you cosign for his Latin skills in Scarface?

I don't get it.

• DORDOR Two Ron Toe 9,900 Posts
    Was Gone Baby Gone a good movie?

Both Helen & I like the film. Was worried about it being co-written and directed by Ben Affleck. But to tell you the truth, I thought it was one of the better movies of the year.

• You own a copy of Grease, but think that Carlito's Way is wack????

YES.

I went to see Carlito's Way in the movie theatre w/ my Boricua girlfrind at the time, and we both were very disappointed by the flick and Al Pacino's Latin skills.

it's generally acknowledged that his accent was not exactly on point in CW. some say he still evinced hints of a southern drawl from his recent turn in scent of a woman.

still a dope movie though and still doper than scarface.

Diablo Cody

You don't think getting reffered to as an ex-stripper will become really tired? In a sex-confused puritanical nation like the US, her being an ex-stripper will overshadow her movie writing talent. Its a shame, but people will always think about her as she "rubbed up on a few dicks" even though she got a shiny statue.

I think it's working for her now - or it has so far. Then again, I don't know, maybe it's a good reel in, something to catch people's attention, but it does seem like the script is keeping the interest of the 'right' people. I guess we'll see what happens in the next while for her. You know, I think it will be up to her, too. Now is the time to quash it. If she herself keeps bringing it up and trying to cash in on it, then that will definitely get tired fast.

we both were very disappointed by the flick and Al Pacino's Latin skills.

Huh? But you cosign for his Latin skills in Scarface?

I don't get it.

Cuba = Puerto Rico?

Hmmm, my two most hated films on that list actually rated with you...not sure if I should trust you...ahhhh I am just being silly! I will check out Gone Baby Gone.

That's fair. Taste is a personal thing.

As for the film in question, Gone Baby Gone fairly reeks of Boston, and I don't want to understate the possible impact that may have had on my enjoyment of it. But there were some great performances, a bunch of unexpected twists, and an ending that'll leave you thinking about it for a while. Even if you don't love it, you won't be pissed you took two hours of your life to watch it.

• mannybolonemannybolone Los Angeles, CA 15,025 Posts
    Crash: Terrible, through and through.

American Beauty: Way overrated much as I like Kevin Spacey and Chris Cooper in general. Whatever happened to Thora Birch?

Mystic River: I thought this was fine but I didn't find it super-compelling as filmmaking. Solid casting and Tim Robbins was heartbreaking. I thought Kevin Bacon seemed a bit out of sorts and Sean Penn was a little over the top.

They Shoot Horses Don't They?: Haven't seen

Mo Better Blues: It's no "Do the Right Thing." Let's leave it at that.

Batman Begins: Better on rewatch; thought it was kind of wack when I first saw it largely because 1) Katie Holmes ruins the movie any time she appears, 2) the doomsday device was one of the stupidest things I've ever heard of. It still makes absolutely no sense to me. If you're going to poison the water supply, why not POISON THE WATER SUPPLY? Shit makes James Bond villain plots seem positively genius by comparison.

Grease: Liked it as a kid but I haven't seen this in its entirety in years. "Summer Nights" is the jam though.

Carlito's Way: I'd suggest it's a better film than "Scarface" but nowhere near as enjoyable.

Scarface: Fantastic pulp. Would have liked it better without the ice queen, who I thought was miscast. I still cry for Manny.