There Will Be Blood

2»

Comments

• SoulOnIceSoulOnIce 13,027 Posts
    it's weird to me the level of applause each one got,
    like heath ledger got more applause than ingmar bergman.

Yeah, that has always been uncomfortable.

Hearing the applause DIE DOWN for Michelangelo Antonioni
    is just really hard to accept. The actors always get the
    biggest "pops." They should just clap the whole time or
    better yet wait until the end.

"Spidey" I thought you were some kind of film
    aficionado or something - why the hate on history?

• jaymackjaymack 5,199 Posts
    they are going through the who has died this year part and it's weird to me the level of applause each one got, like heath ledger got more applause than ingmar bergman. also, i had no idea jane wyman died this year. i'm a little bummed about that only because i haven't appreciated her roles for that long.

thats one of my favorite past times, seeing who gets the most applause during award show tributes. like at the grammys, the biggest applause went to luciano pavorrati(?), which says a lot about the crowd at these stupid things.

• they are going through the who has died this year part and it's weird to me the level of applause each one got, like heath ledger got more applause than ingmar bergman. also, i had no idea jane wyman died this year. i'm a little bummed about that only because i haven't appreciated her roles for that long.

How shocking that the audience at the academy award could be so shallow.....

• SPlDEYSPlDEY Vegas 3,375 Posts
    "Spidey" I thought you were some kind of film
    aficionado or something - why the hate on history?

Cause I'm not a film aficianado. I just like movies.

- spidey

• SPlDEYSPlDEY Vegas 3,375 Posts
    Damn I stopped paying attention, but I guess it's over.

DDL for best actor fasho

NCFOM best movie and direction, FASHO.

8/13 aint bad..

- spidey

• WoimsahWoimsah 1,734 Posts
    there was some funny shit in the Rock of Love bit....

• mannybolonemannybolone Los Angeles, CA 15,025 Posts
    it's weird to me the level of applause each one got,
    like heath ledger got more applause than ingmar bergman.

Yeah, that has always been uncomfortable.

Hearing the applause DIE DOWN for Michelangelo Antonioni
    is just really hard to accept. The actors always get the
    biggest "pops." They should just clap the whole time or
    better yet wait until the end.

I heard it as increasing for Antonioni. He didn't get the Bergman bump though.

• rootlesscosmorootlesscosmo 12,848 Posts
    I finally peeped "there will be blood."

frankly I was blown away by DDL's performance. I mean it was unreal how convincing/scary/sad his character was.

NCFOM was great and all, but after seeing DDL's villain the whole Javier Bardem thing seems almost hokey in retrospect.

DDL killed it in this movie. the Oscars actually got this one right I think.

• DjArcadianDjArcadian 3,630 Posts

frankly I was blown away by DDL's performance. I mean it was unreal how convincing/scary/sad his character was.

NCFOM was great and all, but after seeing DDL's villain the whole Javier Bardem thing seems almost hokey in retrospect.

After seeing both many times I gotta give it up for No Country. I caught a double-feature of Blood Simple and Fargo at the Castro Theater. It's amazing that these guys can make such great films time-and-again.

After seeing both many times I gotta give it up for No Country. I caught a double-feature of Blood Simple and Fargo at the Castro Theater. It's amazing that these guys can make such great films time-and-again.

I think No Country may be a marginally better movie but compared to DDL in TWBB, Bardem's character is almost cartoonish. I realize there was a certain (very) dark humor that pervades No Country and that is absent from TWBB, so it's perhaps not fair to compare the two performances.

but DDL man. I dunno, that was a pretty next-level performance I think.

• I finally peeped "there will be blood."

I think No Country may be a marginally better movie but compared to DDL in TWBB, Bardem's character is almost cartoonish. I realize there was a certain (very) dark humor that pervades No Country and that is absent from TWBB, so it's perhaps not fair to compare the two performances.

Yeah, DDL is in a class of his own.

I think you're right about comparing the performances. I noticed a slight smirk on Bardem's character, and it sounds like you did, too.

Not cartoonish.

BTW way you've "seen both many times"?

they're not even on DVD yet...

damn dude I want your job.

DDL's villain

Villain?

That's the thing. The more I see DDL the less I think of his acting. It doesn't hold up to multiple viewings and starts to come off as cartoonish. Daniel Plainview is supposed to be played as real whereas Javier's Anton character is just supposed to be entertaining. DDL never convinced me he was real but Javier at least entertained me.

Don't get me wrong. I really like both films but DDL was both a credit and a flaw in TWBB.

I was oddly impressed with David Warshofsky's (http://www.imdb.com/name/nm0913175/) character in TWBB. Just one of those cases of being the right man for the role.

That's the thing. The more I see DDL the less I think of his acting. It doesn't hold up to multiple viewings and starts to come off as cartoonish. Daniel Plainview is supposed to be played as real whereas Javier's Anton character is just supposed to be entertaining. DDL never convinced me he was real but Javier at least entertained me.

I was oddly impressed with David Warshofsky's (http://www.imdb.com/name/nm0913175/) character in TWBB. Just one of those cases of being the right man for the role.

can we at least agree that paul dano was crap?

can we at least agree that paul dano was crap?

No

oh man. I rolled my eyes everytime he launched into his little preacher/huckster schtick. I thought he character was lame and his performance was pretty uninspired.

• DDL's villain

Villain?

Danvillian.