Montreal I will be there soon

Comments

• HAZHAZ 3,376 Posts
    Nancy has been asked to present the Iraq Names Project at a professional conference there. We will be there in early March.

What should we do?

How about getting the permission of the deceased soldiers families to use their loved ones names for a political agenda that they may not agree with or support.

Sounds like the right thing to do to me.

What do these words mean to you? Funke, Bridges, White, Black, Read, Wolfe, Holland, Time, Dang?

To me they are all names of soldiers who have died in Iraq. Peoples names who I have spent time with, have meditated on.

I am going to pretend that you really care about the misuse of peoples names. So I will give you some information so that in the future you can make more intelligent comments.

1) From the very first Nancy has been thanked over and over again by veterans and families of veterans and the families and friends of people who have died in Iraq. No veteran or family member has ever said anything negative to her.

2) No one has ever asked that she not honor a family member.

3) The names are public information and are printed in the media everyday. No one owns exclusive rights to the names.

4) Since she started last May you are the only person in the world who has mentioned contacting the families. The project is big enough as it is. If you would like to contact each and every family member of each and every coalition soldier who has died and create a data base of how they want their loved ones name used or not used I am sure she will consider referencing it in the future. But I doubt that you care enough to do anything more than harass me and insult my wife.

4) Nancy's agenda is to share in the sacrifice. Most Americans rarely think about the war or the people fighting. Only those who are fighting and their families are effected by this war. Nancy wanted to share in the sacrifice. Nancy thinks about the war and the individuals who died and their families because she is on the sidewalk everyday drawing their names.

5) http://iraqnamesproject.wordpress.com/about/ Read up before you speak up.

I hope you really do care and that you now understand the issue better.

Now if any one knows where the best bagels are in Montreal I would really like to know. Also where are those dollar bins?

So, I visited the site about the project. It's a good thing to honor folks who've given their life for their country. In Canada, Vets sell poppies on Rememberance Day & I keep mine year round. It's sad that we only honor these people once a year. I'm a little skeptical about the political agenda/artistic statement behind this names project. Is this honoring sacrifice or making a statement about peace? Those are two diferent things. They both have their relative merits. If you want to make a statement about the horrors of war, that's all well & good, but if it's concealed as some kind of war memorial honoring the sacrifice of people who died for something they believed in, that's disrespectful. I don't know if a soldier needs an anti-war memorial. That would demean their sacrifice. A person who dies in defence of his/her country deserves better than that.

Fairmount Bagels rule.

h

• chez doval,,,get the chicken

• covecove 1,566 Posts
    Romados - 123 Rachel E.

The chicken is perfection. This place is mythical to me.

• pcmrpcmr 5,591 Posts
    Romados - 123 Rachel E.

The chicken is perfection. This place is mythical to me.

TRUTH!!!!!!!!!

• DrWuDrWu 4,021 Posts
    Nancy has been asked to present the Iraq Names Project at a professional conference there. We will be there in early March.

What should we do?

How about getting the permission of the deceased soldiers families to use their loved ones names for a political agenda that they may not agree with or support.

What do these words mean to you? Funke, Bridges, White, Black, Read, Wolfe, Holland, Time, Dang?

To me they are all names of soldiers who have died in Iraq. Peoples names who I have spent time with, have meditated on.

I am going to pretend that you really care about the misuse of peoples names. So I will give you some information so that in the future you can make more intelligent comments.

1) From the very first Nancy has been thanked over and over again by veterans and families of veterans and the families and friends of people who have died in Iraq. No veteran or family member has ever said anything negative to her.

3) The names are public information and are printed in the media everyday. No one owns exclusive rights to the names.

4) Since she started last May you are the only person in the world who has mentioned contacting the families. The project is big enough as it is. If you would like to contact each and every family member of each and every coalition soldier who has died and create a data base of how they want their loved ones name used or not used I am sure she will consider referencing it in the future. But I doubt that you care enough to do anything more than harass me and insult my wife.

4) Nancy's agenda is to share in the sacrifice. Most Americans rarely think about the war or the people fighting. Only those who are fighting and their families are effected by this war. Nancy wanted to share in the sacrifice. Nancy thinks about the war and the individuals who died and their families because she is on the sidewalk everyday drawing their names.

Now if any one knows where the best bagels are in Montreal I would really like to know. Also where are those dollar bins?

So, I visited the site about the project. It's a good thing to honor folks who've given their life for their country. In Canada, Vets sell poppies on Rememberance Day & I keep mine year round. It's sad that we only honor these people once a year. I'm a little skeptical about the political agenda/artistic statement behind this names project. Is this honoring sacrifice or making a statement about peace? Those are two diferent things. They both have their relative merits. If you want to make a statement about the horrors of war, that's all well & good, but if it's concealed as some kind of war memorial honoring the sacrifice of people who died for something they believed in, that's disrespectful. I don't know if a soldier needs an anti-war memorial. That would demean their sacrifice. A person who dies in defence of his/her country deserves better than that.

Fairmount Bagels rule.

h

I think you should read her mission statement again. It's all perfectly clear what she is doing. Honoring the fallen does not require that you "honor" the war they fought in. Look up the Vietnam Veterans Memorial web page and you will find they explicitly state that the memorial honors the "fallen" and not conflict the died in.

• RockadelicRockadelic Out Digging 13,993 Posts
    Chalk4Peace

Get familar

• HAZHAZ 3,376 Posts

What should we do?

Fairmount Bagels rule.

h

I think you should read her mission statement again. It's all perfectly clear what she is doing. Honoring the fallen does not require that you "honor" the war they fought in. Look up the Vietnam Veterans Memorial web page and you will find they explicitly state that the memorial honors the "fallen" and not conflict the died in.

Just checked the Vietnam Vets memorial site. I don't think you have to endorse the war that a soldier fights to pay him the proper respect. The Vietnam memorial seems to deal with this issue in a succinct way. It is simply "dedicated to honoring those who died in the Vietnam War." In their mission statement, there is no endorsement of the politics that led to the war, no mention of about Vietnamese casualities, civilian or otherwise, or remarks about the merits or values of peace. Honestly, chalking for peace smacks of damning with faint praise.

• Big_ChanBig_Chan 5,088 Posts
    Montreal is a BEAUTIFUL city. Last time I was there was 95 for the Formula 1 Grand Prix. People were very nice, food was great, Diane Tell records for days. Have a good time. I have to go visit HAZ soon and eat mad amounts of Foie gras and smoked meat.

• AserAser 2,351 Posts
    au pied du couchon is a destination restaurant.

other big names in mtl include Norman Laprise' Toque.

I'm partial to fairmount bagels, they stand up to freezing quite well. I buy a big stash each time I'm there.

• Big_ChanBig_Chan 5,088 Posts
    au pied du couchon is a destination restaurant.

other big names in mtl include Norman Laprise' Toque.

A,

When are we going to dinner at these spots? You gotta meet me in Montreal next time I am there. We will do serious food and wine damage.

• LaserWolfLaserWolf Portland Oregon 11,517 Posts
    Chalk4Peace

Get familar

So you read what I wrote, and your response is a picture of a goat.

I think it is clear to everyone that your hatred of me has lead you to insult my wife.

I think attacking another strutters wife is a new low even for someone like you.

http://www.laventure.net/tourist/montreal.htm

Thanks for all the tips. I was looking up street address when I found this.

I don't have any French, how much will people hate me for speaking English and being an American?

Chalk4Peace

Get familar

I think it is clear to everyone that your hatred of me has lead you to insult my wife.

I think attacking another strutters wife is a new low even for someone like you.

First off....go back and look at who my post was to....not you.

The goat was directed at the intended recipient, DrWu in reference to his posting that he was "trying to get my goat"....ask him

You sound paranoid.

Chalk4Peace

Get familar

The goat was directed at the intended recipient, DrWu in reference to his posting that he was "trying to get my goat"....ask him

You sound paranoid.

I don't care who the goat was directed at, I care about your out of control attacks on my wife.

• BreakSelfBreakSelf 2,925 Posts

I don't care who the goat was directed at [/b]

Chalk4Peace

Get familar

You sound paranoid.

I don't care who the goat was directed at, I care about your out of control attacks on my wife.

I've never mentioned your wife or said anything about her personally.

If I have, post it here and I'll humbly apologize.

I've simply said that getting the permission of the deceased soldiers families would be "the right thing to do".....and I believe it is.

I've also stated that what your wife is doing is illegal in at least 4 states, including the one I live in.....that's a fact

And when told that the project was not "political" I posted the name "Chalk4Peace" which has your wife's project listed under it's umbrella....that is also a fact.

And then another poster, viewed the "tribute" in person and concurred with my opinion.

If you have a problem with that, or somehow construe it as a "personal attack on your wife", that's unfortunate.

Attacking someone's wife, child or family on a personal level is not something I have, or would do here, or on any other public forum.

• SoulOnIceSoulOnIce 13,027 Posts

And when told that the project was not "political" I posted the name "Chalk4Peace" which has your wife's project listed under it's umbrella....that is also a fact.

"Peace" is political?

"Peace" is political?

During a war.....using dead soldiers names.......nah, not political at all.

"Peace" is political?

The fuck are you talking about?

I responded to your post about how the project being
    under "Chalk4Peace" proves it is political ... have you
    even gone to the "chalk4peace" website? And besides, again,
    I ask - why is being "anti-war" political? Isn't peace a
    pretty universal idea? Sometimes you sound like a record
    collecting Rush Limbaugh, I swear.

And you know what? Whether you insulted his wife or not, you
    have been totally hounding the dude all over the forum about
    this shit. He posts up looking for places to eat in Montreal and
    you take it as a chance to attack him about this chalk thing again.

Get a life.

"Peace" is political?

The fuck are you talking about?

I responded to your post about how the project being
    under "Chalk4Peace" proves it is political ... have you
    even gone to the "chalk4peace" website? And besides, again,
    I ask - why is being "anti-war" political? Isn't peace a
    pretty universal idea? Sometimes you sound like a record
    collecting Rush Limbaugh, I swear.

And you know what? Whether you insulted his wife or not, you
    have been totally hounding the dude all over the forum about
    this shit. He posts up looking for places to eat in Montreal and
    you take it as a chance to attack him about this chalk thing again.

Get a life.

If you weren't here to keep me in check who knows how out of control I might get.

You're like the internet version of "My Bodyguard"

I'll get a life ASAP....hopefully just like yours.

If you weren't here to keep me in check who knows how out of control I might get.

yadda yadda ... it's too bad you really can't understand
    why using someone's "where's a good place to eat in Montreal"
    thread as an excuse to attack them about something you've
    already hounded them about ad nauseum is an incredibly bad look.

And you STILL haven't answered my question - what about the word
    or idea of "PEACE" is political? Can't someone be against war without
    being accused of having a political agenda?

• HAZHAZ 3,376 Posts

I don't have any French, how much will people hate me for speaking English and being an American?

No one will hate you for being an American. Its not like you can tell from looking at a person. You might get beef for being a Maudite Anglophone, tho. That schitt is deep here. I don't think you'll end up in spots that it would be a problem. Downtown is like a green zone. Don't go too far east or you might get a Westmount Sunday. And, for your own safety, please don't ask someone what that is, especially a French speaker.

Play safe.

h

yadda yadda ... it's too bad you really can't understand
    why using someone's "where's a good place to eat in Montreal"
    thread as an excuse to attack them about something you've
    already hounded them about ad nauseum is an incredibly bad look.

And you STILL haven't answered my question - what about the word
    or idea of "PEACE" is political? Can't someone be against war without
    being accused of having a political agenda?

What planet do you live on that an Anti-War Protest isn't political??

Being against the war is everyone's right......I totally support that.

Protesting the war is everyone's right.......I support that too.....I've done it and I encourage it, if it's how you want your voice heard.

Using the names of dead soldiers when................. 1) There are state laws against it 2)There are many lawsuits pending because of it 3) There are documented cases of families objecting to it......seems like something worth speaking up against.

We don't have to agree, but I'm pretty comfortable with that stance.

• ostost Montreal 1,375 Posts

don't even worry about the english part ... concerning the American part though it's all good as long as you don't act like most 20 year old americans that come to town in groups of 20 and act like retards on the main street yelling and saying retarded sh*t while wearing the practically the same outfit as everyone else in their group ... Not to mention the fact that they walk arround in winter (like -20 celsius) in their T-shirts...
    I guess maybe coat-check has gotten too expensive these days...

• p_gunnp_gunn 2,284 Posts

No one will hate you for being an American. Its not like you can tell from looking at a person. You might get beef for being a Maudite Anglophone, tho. That schitt is deep here. I don't think you'll end up in spots that it would be a problem. Downtown is like a green zone. Don't go too far east or you might get a Westmount Sunday. And, for your own safety, please don't ask someone what that is, especially a French speaker.

Play safe.

h

my experience has been being in montreal is the ONLY place in the world where being American gets you off the hook and being American is better than being Canadian...

which is to say, Quebecois expect fellow Canadians to speak French due to their educational system, but if people find out you are American, all expectations drop and you are let of the hook immediately... ( i took spanish in high school, yo)

this has proved true for me dozens of times in montreal and i have spent many a night hanging out with groups of people that had like one english speaker between 5 people w/ no static at all (but alot of hand gestures and frequent mentioning of boston bruins and montreal canadians greats...)

• HAZHAZ 3,376 Posts

don't even worry about the english part ... concerning the American part though it's all good as long as you don't act like most 20 year old americans that come to town in groups of 20 and act like retards on the main street yelling and saying retarded sh*t while wearing the practically the same outfit as everyone else in their group ... Not to mention the fact that they walk arround in winter (like -20 celsius) in their T-shirts...

I guess maybe coat-check has gotten too expensive these days...

Americans tend to shout alot. I was having a beer the other day & some dudes walk int the place yelling "BOSTON!!" at the top of their lungs. It wasn't hockey related as the Bruins were not in town.

It wasn't hockey related as the Bruins were not in town.

Don't be so sure ... remember, we are the city that chants "Yankees Suck"
    at hockey, football and basketball games ...

• is laser wolf's woman still on this bulshit? cop the bitch a coloring book or some shit. You didnt honor their lives so dont try and act like you honor their deaths. The insincerity is just Frickin' sickening. One love.

is laser wolf's woman still on this bulshit? cop the bitch a coloring book or some shit.

You need to cop a steel-toed boot to the face, douchetard.

• Just so you know ive reported your threat to raj.