Positive K Appreciation

Jonny_PaycheckJonny_Paycheck 17,825 Posts
edited February 2008 in Strut Central
A lot of people think of Pos K as the "I Gotta Man" dude. But it is most important to celebrate the contributions of "Step Up Front" and "A Good Combination", the latter of which I just threw on and cracked up at the mention of FRUZEN GLAZEN (remember that shit?)I am also feeling the old school routine-ness of the long intro "Yo L, have you seen the girl lately? You know the one that we freaked kinda crazy? We had em all, 8 through 80, but this one, she was acting kinda crazy, said yo baby... I got you baby..."What a dope track. Not to mention "Step Up Front" which is to me the even harder of the two.you are appreciated.

Comments

• FRUZEN GLAZEN

• SwayzeSwayze 14,705 Posts
    I was always partial to "nightshift"

• mannybolonemannybolone Los Angeles, CA 15,025 Posts
    I fuks with Pos K. His is one of the few albums from that era I'll still flip on again. Pity his better First Priority 12"s never made it on an album - "Step Up Front" and "A Good Combination" were both

http://youtube.com/watch?v=_LADQfIHmAo

"The true black mack with a knack to attract a stack
    Girls attack, I spin them out like crack"

That plus the use of Lee Moses

• I was always partial to "nightshift"

definitely a great one

• Mike_BellMike_Bell 5,736 Posts
    I fuks with Pos K.

• Wow, never saw that video for "Step Up Front"!

YES

I didn't know 'I Got A Man' was a hit when I found the 12" at my local Salvation army. When I got it home and listened to it, I thought the flip was the track of choice-Night Shift Remix.

The remix was dope too. I love that era of "dark basslines" in hip-hop production.

Speaking of which:

• DORDOR Two Ron Toe 9,900 Posts
    Impulse On Three!

• covecove 1,566 Posts
    I was about to start this thread last night...weird...

I'm also seeking the remix to "a good combination", my version is of shite quality.

• faux_rillzfaux_rillz 14,343 Posts
    The album is really good and the two First Priority 12"s mentioned above are even better.

His contributions to the First Priority Basement Flavor comp. are also worth checking, including "I'm Not Havin' It," an earlier--and superior--exploration of the same theme as "Got a Man"... don't know if it was ever released on 12".

The album is really good and the two First Priority 12"s mentioned above are even better.

His contributions to the First Priority Basement Flavor comp. are also worth checking, including "I'm Not Havin' It," an earlier--and superior--exploration of the same theme as "Got a Man"... don't know if it was ever released on 12".

I don't think it was either...was anything off that LP released on 12"?

In terms of his album, I always like "A Flower That Grows In Brooklyn." Great beat, great hook.

I don't think it was either...was anything off that LP released on 12"?

Pretty sure I've seen at least one 12", although I can't remember what... if they exist, I'm sure they've passed thru GRNYC.

The real choice cut on that album: Audio Two "Many Styles"

• DORDOR Two Ron Toe 9,900 Posts
    Michie Mee And LA Luv - Victory Is Calling / On This Mic 12" came out off that LP.

I wish there was a 12" for Impulse On Three

definitely a great one

YUP! I remember breaking that joint out a few times at Schide Effect. Did he do any production on the Alliance material? I reaally like these records, IMHO one of the few "random" rap records that I genuinely fucks with. I figure I'd ask because I know he ran with that whole crew.

AND HE HAD NICE HAND STYLES AS WELL

• Wow, never saw that video for "Step Up Front"!

me neither. i could live without it. budget couldnt have exceeded a hundred bucks

any one ride for quarter gram pam???

skills to pay the billz was a dope record. aint no crime LP version was real nice (better than the 12 for some reason)

I didn't know 'I Got A Man' was a hit when I found the 12" at my local Salvation army. When I got it home and listened to it, I thought the flip was the track of choice-Night Shift Remix.

The remix was dope too. I love that era of "dark basslines" in hip-hop production.

Speaking of which:

i like the og better...gotta love "suburbian area"
    anyone heard double X's small label joint? i havent

• tomasltomasl 315 Posts
    I fuks with Pos K. His is one of the few albums from that era I'll still flip on again. Pity his better First Priority 12"s never made it on an album - "Step Up Front" and "A Good Combination" were both

http://youtube.com/watch?v=_LADQfIHmAo

There's a 7 inch of Good Combination w/ I'm Not Having It on the B.

• The real choice cut on that First Priority Basement Flavor comp: Audio Two "Many Styles"

But don't snooze on MC Lyte's "Survival of the Fittest."

Use of Heart's "Magic Man":

• Big_StacksBig_Stacks "I don't worry about hittin' power, cause I don't give 'em nuttin' to hit." 4,670 Posts
    Yo,

I've ALWAYS ridden for Positive K. I met dude back in 1990 (back stage at a BDK show in Fayetteville), and he was cool, down-to-earth, and short as hell, too (I felt like Kareem Abdul-Jabbar standing next to that cat). "Step Up Front" was my shit when I first heard it on the "Rap it Up" show drivin' around Ft. Bragg in my pop's 1986 Nissan truck. But, my favorite track off "Skills to Pay the Bills" was "Shakin'". By the way, where is that bassline from, I've always wanted to know?

Peace,

Big Stacks from Kakalak

• Options

definitely a great one

Did Big Daddy Kane produce that?

• I've always enjoyed Positive K. Like others have mentioned, I pull out my copy of the Skills LP and play it from time to time. I love the Step Up Front single as well.

• carhoppers, car, carhoppers

• batmonbatmon 27,574 Posts
    Yes.

collabo on Brand Nubians first LP w/ Puba.....

I was secretly hoping for a whole album w/ Puba and K.

Yes.

Brand Nubian anecdote:

I was poking around in a neighborhood junkshop yesterday. The proprietor, noting my interest in records, was trying to convince me to spend some money. He holds up skated doubles of "Punks Jump Up" and says "I got all kinds of records--I even got punk rock here!"

Yes.

Brand Nubian anecdote:

I was poking around in a neighborhood junkshop yesterday. The proprietor, noting my interest in records, was trying to convince me to spend some money. He holds up skated doubles of "Punks Jump Up" and says "I got all kinds of records--I even got punk rock here!"

AWESOME

• batmonbatmon 27,574 Posts
    Yes.

Brand Nubian anecdote:

AWESOME

Hilarious.

Brand Nubian > 24-7 Spyz > Living Colour > Bad Brains....

• solid album front to back!

he had "swagger" before i ever used that term. Father to Cam's style.
    I acctually hear he's a pimp for realz...anyone else ever hear that?

• Yes.

Brand Nubian anecdote:

I guess you must of been rocking your Sunday Best: Belly Shirt with Exposed "STR8 EDGE" STOMACH 'TAT SHINING TO HARLEM WORLD.