"Superstition" multitrack masters

Tuff_GongTuff_Gong 627 Posts
edited February 2008 in Strut Central
Happy Presidents Day, batches! I ran across a bunch of those multitrack masters so I figured I'd share some of 'em. Up first is definitely the one that interested me most: "Superstition" by Stevie Wonder. http://www.megaupload.com/?d=F3K5GNPVAnd here's just a quickie mix I threw together in SoundForge. It's the song without the clavinet -- you know, the most notable instrument in the song. There's 8 freakin' tracks of clavinet with the masters.

Comments

• ............... ...............

• jaymackjaymack 5,199 Posts

• TabaskoTabasko 1,357 Posts

• Dope. Thanks for posting this.

I think this calls for a SoulStrut remix contest...

• WHOA!!
    I gotta come out of lurking to thank you!!
    Well it's back to lurking..................

• SPlDEYSPlDEY Vegas 3,375 Posts
    !!?

DOWN ALREADY>?

- spidey

• wow. I cannot believe there are 8 freakin tracks of layered clavs. nuts.

• DrWuDrWu 4,021 Posts
    can someone reup their copy of this?

• SwayzeSwayze 14,705 Posts
    Downloading for me now, a big thank you, really looking forward to this!

just keep trying guys. itll eventually work. thats why i posted the skull and bones above, but it worked next try.

• Amazing. Just getting over the heat of the "Is This Love" post. I'm tempted to try to reassemble this in Nuendo for kicks.

and yeah, what is the deal with 8 clav tracks. i can see 3 or 4 or even 5, but 8 is just being eccentric.

no snare track?

• and yeah, what is the deal with 8 clav tracks. i can see 3 or 4 or even 5, but 8 is just being eccentric.

no snare track?

Well, technically-speaking, you can get a good drum sound just by using overhead mics, which is what was done on this one. They mic the kick because overhead mics aren't really intended to be used to record high SPL/low frequency things like a kick. The rest of the kit, though, can be picked up quite nicely just by using overhead mics. These days with ProTools and digital recording and the number of tracks being limited only to your hard drive size, people just overproduce the crap out of drums, sticking a mic on every single drum and cymbal, but in the end all you honestly need is a couple overheads to give you a good ambience and the stereo imaging.

• SPlDEYSPlDEY Vegas 3,375 Posts
    and yeah, what is the deal with 8 clav tracks. i can see 3 or 4 or even 5, but 8 is just being eccentric.

no snare track?

Well, technically-speaking, you can get a good drum sound just by using overhead mics, which is what was done on this one. They mic the kick because overhead mics aren't really intended to be used to record high SPL/low frequency things like a kick. The rest of the kit, though, can be picked up quite nicely just by using overhead mics. These days with ProTools and digital recording and the number of tracks being limited only to your hard drive size, people just overproduce the crap out of drums, sticking a mic on every single drum and cymbal, but in the end all you honestly need is a couple overheads to give you a good ambience and the stereo imaging.

I like to use one on the kick, 1 overhead, and 1 in front of the kit a foot to a few feet away. Lots of old engineers mic-ed this way.

Thanks for this, By far the most fun I've ever had with a Multitrack. I might do something special with it, We'll see.

- spidey

• thanks. thats great

• I used to listen to these records when they came out and wish I could hear the isolated tracks. I've waited years for this!! My eternal nerdly thanks to you.

• LokoOneLokoOne 1,823 Posts
    okay dumb question... but hey knowledge will be greatly aprreciated on this.

with masters.... in what form do you get them, and how do you get them? Are we talking the original master tapes (reel to reel) or copies? and how do you get them, split into individual tracks or on one tape and you have to split it with your own set up?

also I heard people speak about4 channel recording etc and spliting/isolating the tracks on there. Can anyone elabortae on this for me? I got a couple of lps that are 4 channel recorded and want to know i strip sound off them...?

This is one area sadly i have limited knowledge about, so any info will be a helpful hand....

gracias...

Loko

ps. Anyone seen that documanetary about the making of Songs In The Key... where they got Stevie 'remixing' the songs with the masters... he layered heaps of weird shit.... a reverse gong sound in one track if I remeber. I seen another with jimmi hendrix who had 2 tracks of just him breathing deeply...
    Imagine these cats had pro tools to fuck with back then!

• I believe you'll need a quadraphonic player to use those records, and at least 4 channels into your DAW to record it.

• Big_ChanBig_Chan 5,088 Posts
    okay dumb question... but hey knowledge will be greatly aprreciated on this.

with masters.... in what form do you get them, and how do you get them? Are we talking the original master tapes (reel to reel) or copies? and how do you get them, split into individual tracks or on one tape and you have to split it with your own set up?

All the recent multi track masters that have been showing up are pro tools sessions burned onto a DVD (one song per DVD). Labels are making pro tools sessions of masters for archive purposes, remix projects etc. A lot of these are legit copies right from the labels that a few people have for remixes, production, etc. and they are now trading them with each other. These mutli track sessions are really next level.

• ostost Montreal 1,375 Posts
    I'm lovin these multitracks, some much usefull material. Not to mention the fact that I always hated "Superstistious" and i ow get the chance to make it sound more like I think it should.

• LokoOneLokoOne 1,823 Posts
    Thanks for the heads up....

• BurnsBurns 2,227 Posts
    I always hated "Superstistious" and i ow get the chance to make it sound more like I think it should.

Make sure to post "Superstistion" the way it "should be" since you hate the song.

• mannybolonemannybolone Los Angeles, CA 15,025 Posts
    I'm lovin these multitracks, some much usefull material. Not to mention the fact that I always hated "Superstistious" and i ow get the chance to make it sound more like I think it should.

Ummm....

• luckluck 4,077 Posts

Little dude post of the month.

ost, ostensibly = Outrageously Soiled Trousers

• mannybolonemannybolone Los Angeles, CA 15,025 Posts

Well, apparently he knows something that Stevie Wonder doesn't.

I mean, "Superstitious" isn't my fave song in dude's catalog but I would never claim to be able to improve upon it.

• I'm lovin these multitracks, some much usefull material. Not to mention the fact that I always hated "Superstistious" and i ow get the chance to make it sound more like I think it should.

I mean, "Superstitious" isn't my fave song in dude's catalog but I would never claim to be able to improve upon it.

cowbell?

• I'm lovin these multitracks, some much usefull material. Not to mention the fact that I always hated "Superstistious" and i ow get the chance to make it sound more like I think it should.

I mean, "Superstitious" isn't my fave song in dude's catalog but I would never claim to be able to improve upon it.[/b]

real talk. I mean REALLY how could anyone improve on this song? There's been a few Stevie Remixes *COUGH*COUGH& that have been able to improve on his work, but really you can what...maybe beef-up the drums and the bass in superstition to try and make the music maybe a little more contemporary for the clurb?

Has there even been a GOOD cover version of Superstition? All the version I've heard have been pretty much the same as the original.

• i like the button down brass version....

• i like the button down brass version....

haul-eur

and yo, forget what I said. I'm listening to this schtuff right now and I got a few ideas.