"Superstition" multitrack masters

Comments

• i like the Dennis Mobley & Fresh Taste version....

oh yeah. that's pretty decent. You got the 12'' or the P&P compilation?

oh yeah. that's pretty decent. You got the 12'' or the P&P compilation?

The P&P reissue single.

Although I have a 12" for you if you treat me right.

• nzshadownzshadow 5,518 Posts
    I'm lovin these multitracks, some much usefull material. Not to mention the fact that I always hated "Superstistious" and i ow get the chance to make it sound more like I think it should.

Little dude post of the month.

ost, ostensibly = Outrageously Soiled Trousers

Well, apparently he knows something that Stevie Wonder doesn't.

I mean, "Superstitious" isn't my fave song in dude's catalog but I would never claim to be able to improve upon it.

cowbell?

• BaptBapt 2,503 Posts
    Thanks for sharing this.

-

• ostost Montreal 1,375 Posts
    I always hated "Superstistious" and i ow get the chance to make it sound more like I think it should.

Make sure to post "Superstistion" the way it "should be" since you hate the song.
    WHy should I ?! If I cared about it I would.Biatchhh!

• mordecaimordecai 2,204 Posts
    I always hated "Superstistious" and i ow get the chance to make it sound more like I think it should.

Make sure to post "Superstistion" the way it "should be" since you hate the song.

I would like a "club" friendly version of this as well

• jaymackjaymack 5,199 Posts

Superpoaster???
    Is it you??
    You sure act like him.

I would like a "club" friendly version of this as well Well the main Idea wasn't making a cover but editing it ,in part so that it can be mixed in at a club . I personnallly intended on removing the Clavinet alltgether and swithcing the drums for something else...

i took out the drums and added the mardi gras break w/o the drums, just the bells.

yeah that video is nearing amen break/indian thriller status.

still nasty.

• SPlDEYSPlDEY Vegas 3,375 Posts
    I think this calls for a SoulStrut remix contest...

"LET'S DO IT!!!!!!!!!!!"

- spidey

• I would like a "club" friendly version of this as well Well the main Idea wasn't making a cover but editing it ,in part so that it can be mixed in at a club . I personnallly intended on removing the Clavinet alltgether and swithcing the drums for something else...

Dude, seriously, it's a soul track in the 90 BPM rage with 4 bar drum intro. I just played it on saturday night and it got people open.

It's not like it's 3/4 time with quiet-ass panned drums or something, it's as straight forward as you can practically get. And the clavinet is part of the songs charm.

YO SON! LEMME RE-EDIT THAT "MOVE ON UP" JOINT AND CUT OUT THOSE DAMN HORNS. THEY'RE NOT EDITED/QUANTIZED PERFECTLY FOR MY MIXOLOGICAL STEEZ AND SO NOT NEEDED!

• jeez the dude just wanted to mess with it. What else are you gonna do with multi's. lol.. give him a break strut!

• no!

• luckluck 4,077 Posts
    the clavinet is part of the songs charm.

Wow! Who would of thought that people would get so agitated over this song... I'm sure I like songs you don't and vice versa. So what's that big fuckin deal if I wanna flip this???People are acting like they wrote this themselves or some shit. I'm just applying the DJ mentality/point-of-view in to it by selecting the elements that I personally like and removing those I don't.
    BIG FUCKIN' DEAL! If you have a problem get over it ,other wise I suggest you check your local pharmacy for some extra-strength Prozac.
    I don't deny the fact that this can be played at certain clubs in certain circumstances and get a good reaction, hell I've already played it and noticed this on my own. The issue is that I personally think that the vocals ,bassline and horns together over a new melody(probably using my Fender Rhodes) with some bouncier programed drums, could really make it that much more interesting to me . THAT'S ALL.

• DocMcCoyDocMcCoy "Go and laugh in your own country!" 5,913 Posts
    i like the Sergio Mendes version....

I guess everyone knows Stevie originally wrote it for Jeff Beck? The Beck, Bogert & Appice version would have been the o.g. if Stevie hadn't decided to put his version out first. IIRC, Jeff Beck (not exactly a little ray of sunshine at the best of times) wasn't a happy camper.

Oh, yeah, thanks to Tuff Gong for throwing this out there. It's amazing to hear all the component parts, and despite having heard this song a gajillion times down the years, it still knocks me out to think that all it is is clavinet, synth bass, drums horns and vocals. Makes you realise just how overproduced so much modern shit is, and how you really don't need to do much other than press "record" when the source material is this good.

Wow! Who would of thought that people would get so agitated over this song... I'm sure I like songs you don't and vice versa. So what's that big fuckin deal if I wanna flip this???People are acting like they wrote this themselves or some shit. I'm just applying the DJ mentality/point-of-view in to it by selecting the elements that I personally like and removing those I don't.
    BIG FUCKIN' DEAL! If you have a problem get over it ,other wise I suggest you check your local pharmacy for some extra-strength Prozac.
    I don't deny the fact that this can be played at certain clubs in certain circumstances and get a good reaction, hell I've already played it and noticed this on my own. The issue is that I personally think that the vocals ,bassline and horns together over a new melody(probably using my Fender Rhodes) with some bouncier programed drums, could really make it that much more interesting to me . THAT'S ALL.

Dude, you're entitled to your opinion and all, but your approach sounds a little like that of the guy who thinks the Taj Mahal would look so much better with a mock-Tudor facade or a drive-thru McDonalds off to the side.

I mean, I'm sat here right now listening to all these parts, and thinking how never in my wildest dreams did I ever think I'd have access to this shit. I could happily do nothing but fuck around with this for the next five years, but I could never imagine improving on it for as long as I had a hole in my arse.

• I ran across a BUNCH of those multitrack masters so I figured I'd share SOME of 'EM

First thanks for this great tracks.

But what else do you have in your archive ??

Peace
    Hawkeye

• BsidesBsides 4,244 Posts
    Ill post some if i get around to it!

anybody want the walk on by multitrack?

The Ike version??? Dude, is the Pope a Catholic?

• BurnsBurns 2,227 Posts

I always hated "Superstistious"

Leave it alone then.

• Perhaps everyone is looking at this wrong. He wants to make an alternate version. He never said it was better, just how he thinks it should be. I re-edit tracks all the time to take out sax/guitar solos and other junk I don't like. Sure, stevie is a legend, but if he was extending the intro to "wake me up before you go-go" and removing the second chorus no one would be chaffing his arse. In reality it's no different.

• luckluck 4,077 Posts
    if he was extending the intro to "wake me up before you go-go" and removing the second chorus no one would be chaffing his arse. In reality it's no different.

But George Michael is not taken seriously by anyone not named "George Michael's current bitch." If you believe that Stevie Wonder - especially with a song this well constructed to begin with - is on equal artistic standing with Michael or even Andrew Ridgeley, then I really don't know what to say to you.

He wants to make an alternate version. He never said it was better, just how he thinks it should be.

If you split that hair any more thinly, you'd be on the cover of Scientific American's next issue.

O.S. Trousers said that he "hated" the original (totally his call) and then went on to state his intentions to turn the heretofore imperfect "Superstition" into "Something I Can Dance To!". That's just tacky. Tacky producers are merchants of ephemera.

...and the Taj would be MUCH better with a drive through. I mean, gulab jamun to go kicks all kinds of ass.

• Ill post some if i get around to it!

YES please post..

i have some more.. but they're all jacked links if that's okay???????? i'll wait to here from RAJ.. cause i'm not reuploading anything.

Perhaps everyone is looking at this wrong. He wants to make an alternate version. He never said it was better, just how he thinks it should be. I re-edit tracks all the time to take out sax/guitar solos and other junk I don't like. Sure, stevie is a legend, but if he was extending the intro to "wake me up before you go-go" and removing the second chorus no one would be chaffing his arse. In reality it's no different.

Don't get me wrong, I'm not saying "how dare he?" or anything like that. It's just that, for the life of me, I can't understand why anybody would want to do it. C'mon now, there is not an ounce of flab on that song. It's the ne plus ultra of clavinet funk. Everything is exactly where it should be, and is doing exactly what it's supposed to be doing. Furthermore, it's a certified, cast-iron, can't-fail dancefloor bomb that will get any party open if you play it at the right time. There's even four bars of steady, open drums at the front end, which makes it a piece of piss to mix into as it is.

If the guy wants to stick some programmed drums in there and bin off the clavinet (!), that's on him, but again, why would anyone want to unless they thought it'd be an improvement of sorts to do so? People on here do re-edits and reworks all the time and, judging by what gets posted, much of it is of a really high standard, but there's a big difference between that kind of thing - stretching out a few breaks on a disco joint or reworking the few good moments in an otherwise undistinguished record into something dancefloor-friendly - and the suggestion that a song like "Superstition" would really benefit from having its guts ripped out. Sorry, but that just says "philistine" to me.

YES please post..

i have some more.. but they're all jacked links if that's okay???????? i'll wait to here from RAJ.. cause i'm not reuploading anything.

just put em in code. come on people!!

• For the record (no pun intended) I love the original. I just think if he has the opportunity and the inclination, let him edit away.

I wasn't comparing wham to Stevie artistically, just pointing out that just because you (and I, for that matter) think Stevie is great doesn't mean he's off limits.

Strut where have all the rainbows gone?