drum-off: ?uestlove vs. Travis Barker

13»

Comments

• nzshadownzshadow 5,518 Posts
    Dudes actually calling Ahmir a "mediocre drummer" need to get off that shit and recognize that dude is an amazingly talented drummer.

Cosmo is a toy.

straight up and down.

• CosmoCosmo 9,768 Posts
    Yes, I am.

• nzshadownzshadow 5,518 Posts
    1996 is at my house right now.

Thank you.

• JimBeamJimBeam Seattle. 2,012 Posts

Music isn't about 'fun' and 'enjoyment', its about being able to pwn other people on the internet, with your encyclopedic knowledge and endless opinions on everything.

^^^ underrated post

• SwayzeSwayze 14,705 Posts
    I thought this might be about this video Travis Barker drumming over Soulja Boy ha ha

Travis Parker Soulja Boy Remix

Not my kinda thing but I don't know too much about drumming

• SPlDEYSPlDEY Vegas 3,375 Posts
    Dudes actually calling Ahmir a "mediocre drummer" need to get off that shit and recognize that dude is an amazingly talented drummer.

He's probably a real nice guy, sorry if he's your favorite drummer. I just haven't heard anything impressive drumwise from him except: Drum n bass pattern in Erykah badu/roots song, and Roots/Kool G Rap/Big daddy kane - Boom. Which is still pretty simple drumwise. I'm just not a big Roots fan though.

- spidey

• JimsterJimster Cruffiton.etsy.com 6,893 Posts
    this is like the most wrong thing ever posted

Ahmir can do all that Mike Clark stuff. But he's a celebrity drummer now and therefore asked to play with "The Big Names" but like, never hog the spotlight. You can get sacked for that...

• CosmoCosmo 9,768 Posts

He's probably a real nice guy, sorry if he's your favorite drummer. I just haven't heard anything impressive drumwise from him except: Drum n bass pattern in Erykah badu/roots song, and Roots/Kool G Rap/Big daddy kane - Boom. Which is still pretty simple drumwise. I'm just not a big Roots fan though.

- spidey

Definitely not my favorite drummer. That would (as of right now) be Harvey Mason.

But trust me. I've known dude for like 15 years. He's an ILL drummer.

turntablizm.

I remember watching some kids at a DJ convention at GMEX in Manc, 15 or 16 years old, scratching over a loop, old-skool, and they were killing it. KILLING IT. They were just kids off the street but they had that funk.

Then later, "World Champion" DJ Pogo comes on with 3 decks and basically plate spins and does all epileptic abstract whack-a-mole shit, with no beat for context. It was clever, but it wasn't about scratching. It wasn't even musical or rhythmic, not even Jackson Pollock shit. It was just BORING.

If you could play twice as fast as Bernard Purdie, would that make you twice as good?

These same kids were in the crowd. I told them they were better than he was. They didn't need to get any "Cleverer", they already had it.

Plaeaease now to school me that John Coltranes last records were the best.

• 1). JEL WOULD SHIT ON ALL THESE DUDES

2)." Like how most Hairdressers have fucked up haircuts." I'm dying over here. I just saw a documentary on the world one channel about hair salons battle each other with talent shows. Dudes had mad post-larry blackmon hair-do's

3).

^^^^^^^^^

I met Buddy Rich a few years ago. Cool as shit, dressed real fly, and had a bangin' young "friend" with him.

• spelunkspelunk 3,400 Posts
    1). JEL WOULD SHIT ON ALL THESE DUDES

QUIETLY

• jeezus h kryst. this thread sums up why im convinced half the people on this board don't even like music.

travis barker, questlove, and souljah boy pwn all you hateurs.

you guys are worse than ricci rucker...

• jeezus h kryst. this thread sums up why im convinced half the people on this board don't even like good[/b] music.

travis barker drums like a orangutan having a seizure...[/b]

dont you guys know that good drummers barely move their arms and that all the power and control comes from the wrists? Shit, you can look at the footage with the sound off and know homeboy sucks.

• OkemOkem 4,617 Posts
    I had a Peter Erskine video that I learnt drums from way back when, and I've always loved his style. He has that kinda 'quite storm', zen kinda thing going on, where everything he does is done in this laid back manner, but it hits so hard. He's definately one of my favourite drummers.

• Sheesh, if you want to be in the spotlight, don't play bass or drums.

yea, i have no clue if these guys are good or just fast, but i think drumming solos are probably better in small doses. ouch, my ears.

• 1). JEL WOULD SHIT ON ALL THESE DUDES

2)." Like how most Hairdressers have fucked up haircuts." I'm dying over here. I just saw a documentary on the world one channel about hair salons battle each other with talent shows. Dudes had mad post-larry blackmon hair-do's

3).

^^^^^^^^^

I met Buddy Rich a few years ago. Cool as shit, dressed real fly, and had a bangin' young "friend" with him.

My first drum teacher, eons ago, said it all when he quoted Buddy Rich:

"It's not what you play, it's what you DON'T play, that counts."

Rich may have been an ugly, crazy motherf*cker (I love those tour bus rants at his band), but he was an amazing drummer, and his rudimental drum method (I don't know if it's even in print these days) is THE basic teaching method. SOLID[/b] basics.

• PrimeCutsLtdPrimeCutsLtd jersey fresh 2,632 Posts
    played all the you tubes together...wall of sound!