Weird Al

volumenvolumen 2,532 Posts
edited February 2008 in Strut Central
Should be inducted into every music hall of fame.Should get a Hip Hop Honor.Should have a grand roast by the Friar's Club.Should get a lifetime achievmant from the Grammy'sShould be given an apology from Coolio.

Comments

• alieNDNalieNDN 2,181 Posts
    after micheal jackson, i think he was the first guy i idolized growing up. my first exposure to parody.

• he was the first guy i idolized growing up. my first exposure to parody.

• I've always considered him somewhat pathetic.

• volumenvolumen 2,532 Posts
    I've always considered him somewhat pathetic.

Dude, most rappers wish they could bust it like "White and Nerdy". That's the magnum opus of Weird Al.

Being a dork doesn't mean he's not great.

How may solo artists have churned out the hits like him? He's going on 30 years and still relevant.

• pjl2000xlpjl2000xl 1,795 Posts
    I've always considered him somewhat pathetic.

and his obnoxious whiny voice drives me up the wall

but UHF is classic.

• but UHF is classic.

this is true.

• BrianBrian 7,618 Posts
    Should be inducted into every music hall of fame.

Should get a Hip Hop Honor.

Should have a grand roast by the Friar's Club.

Should get a lifetime achievmant from the Grammy's

Should be given an apology from Coolio.

YOU SOUND WHITE

• DJ_EnkiDJ_Enki 6,471 Posts
    Weird Al is the shit, fuck the hatterz. Dude does top-notch parodies--and that shit isn't as easy as he makes it look.

This video will never not be funny:

• i got into raps cuz of weird al. i mean, back when rap music was still fun.

• BsidesBsides 4,244 Posts
    Yeah, i pretty much idolized the dude as well. Back before the internet or anything he was kinda mythical status to little kids like me. I remember staying up real late to watch the fat video come on.

Even worse was one of the first tapes i ever owned and to be honest i didnt really know alot of the original songs he was making fun of. I just thought he was a really amazing songwriter.

• BsidesBsides 4,244 Posts
    Oh....and coolio should SO apologize.

.....For alot of things.

all i've ever wanted in life was for there to be a soulstrut thread about wierd al to have more than 1 response and for him to get his propers. i can now retire as a content human being.

• batmonbatmon 27,574 Posts
    Fuck all that Al is relevant to Hip Hop talk, but when i was in college I had a friend who was crazy into weird AL before Im Fat.
    He would play his albums while the other caucasoids jerked off to Rattle & Hum.
    The covers that Al was rockin was crazy hilarious and I realized dude was on some next shit. Props, but not for his Rapp stuff.

• I've always considered him somewhat pathetic.

Can't stand the dude either.

• Weird Al gets mucho proppos over here.

Someone needs to up "Trapped In The Drive-Thru." I only have it on vinyl.

• but UHF is classic.

*spatula city we sell spatulas - and that's all!*

• whitest thread ever

• whitest thread ever

And nerdy, dammit.

• deLYSdeLYS 388 Posts
    The guy can pretty much mock any form of music in a way that flatters the genre with his attention to detail, in itself. For that and the fact that he's cashed in on that talent so consistently, it's hard to really knock his satire even when I don't understand it, or it's not my style, cause he seems like he respects all kinds of music and just has a ton of appreciation for the shit around him.

'Dare To Be Stupid' in the Transformers cartoon was as clutch as 'You Got The Touch'

I do remember seeing videos with this huge live show and thinking it was the corniest thing I ever saw when I was 9 specifically feeling bad for the musicians in his group-though on the way I lost my sympathy for starving art and would now dare to be stupid on a guitar solo any day for the wierd al money.

Even though I can appreciate him Id pass through 90% of that shit like

except NATURE TRAIL TO HELL

IN 3-DEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE

• JRootJRoot 861 Posts
    Weird Al gets mucho proppos over here.

My man I**** has every weird al record until 1994 on TAPE. It just seems so right.

Wierd Al vs K-Fed

these "interviews" he does are gold

• deLYSdeLYS 388 Posts
    i didnt really know alot of the original songs he was making fun of.

I didn't know who the hell Ron Popeil was as a kid, but of course I now understand what the fuck he was talking about, MISTER POPEIL!

Ive never heard the song since then though, dont really care if I do- its still just funny as hell.

• twoplytwoply Only Built 4 Manzanita Links 2,914 Posts
    Wierd Al vs K-Fed

these "interviews" he does are gold

I think these kind of edited interviews get old pretty fast, but he did get a couple good zings in:

So, how does it feel to have a closet full of wife-beaters, but no wife?

I understand you're trying to get custody of your kids. I mean, the kids you had with Britney, not the practice ones.

• i love Weird Al...my friend and I lip synched to "Like a Surgeon" for our kindergarten talent show (1985)...I've probably seen UHF more than any other movie in my life...so classic.