NO Love For Big Pun? (R.I.P)

haze25haze25 759 Posts
edited February 2008 in Strut Central
I see the Big L r.i.p thread, but no mention of big pun? i know the history of abuse towards his wife makes it hard to praise him 100 percent but dude was realy Frickin' good. made hit records, killed guest appereances, had a crazy delivery/flow/lyrics, 1 great album and for better or worse, influenced the new generation of latino mc's. i'm sure i'm just asking for dudes to shit on him here, but R.I.P to a great mc.peace,xavier

Comments

• Big_ChanBig_Chan 5,088 Posts
    I the history of abuse towards his wife

Not good at all.

• mannybolonemannybolone Los Angeles, CA 15,025 Posts
    I the history of abuse towards his wife

Not good at all.

For real. My friend broke that story and just hearing all the shit his wife went through - not just in the marriage, but by all the people who began harassing her and threatening her after for coming forward - pretty much deaded whatever good will I might have felt towards him as an artist. I suppose it's not completely fair - some artists are able to transcend the bad shit they did in real life (see Marvin Gaye). Pun's no Marvin though.

• I see the Big L r.i.p thread, but no mention of big pun? i know the history of abuse towards his wife makes it hard to praise him 100 percent but dude was realy Frickin' good. made hit records, killed guest appereances, had a crazy delivery/flow/lyrics, 1 great album and for better or worse, influenced the new generation of latino mc's. i'm sure i'm just asking for dudes to shit on him here, but R.I.P to a great mc.

peace,xavier

yeah, joey crack-fat joe still praises him but the abuse thing I really didn't hear much about it until fat joe said something about it years ago.You would think that type of stuff wouldn't hinder his legacy but it has. With other artist it hasn't.

• kicks79kicks79 1,334 Posts
    I really think it has to do with his sheer size as well. the mental image of him beating on his wife is so

Its a good question though is art or music devauled by the actions or values of its creators ?
    I find mel gibsons work turns me off now. Although thats not the best example as mels work has been questionable for years. I can still listen to big pun but i could never condone his actions.

• izm707izm707 1,107 Posts
    i always prefered kool g rap...and he's a wife beater too, Supahead knows the deal...he's alive, but quiet dead artistically speaking.

i tried to read her "book" and i use the term loosely( no pun intended). I couldn't finish it was so terrible. But it did make me look at Kool G in a new light. Im sure there are two sides and everything but...

• haze25haze25 759 Posts
    yeah i agree on the mel gibson thing too, not that i watch his films but his views make it almost 100% guarenteed i wont watch his movies.

the whole big pun thing with his wife made me realy sick to my stomach when i first heard it. i have not listened to him as much since i heard about it.

i still think dude was a major talent.

• batmonbatmon 27,574 Posts
    Regardless of the wife beating stuff I just dont think Pun was all that nice.

Good not great rapper that ran the same lyrical gimmicks thru too many of his verses.

I actually prefer when Fat Joe executes Pun's writings.

Im sorry but dude isnt in the Dead Rapper Canon IMO.

Yes, what he did culturally is important for NYC Boricuas/Overall Latin, but rhyme for rhyme verse for verse dude wasnt some next level lyracist IMO.

• pjl2000xlpjl2000xl 1,795 Posts
    The one thing that bothered me when Pun was rapping was the way he used to make these loud ass breathing/pig noises when he would inhale between lines. Like he would almost snort trying to get air into that massive body.

• batmonbatmon 27,574 Posts
    The one thing that bothered me when Pun was rapping,HUUUH, was the way he used to make these loud ass breathing/pig noises,HUUH, when he would inhale between lines. HUUUH,Like he would almost snort trying to get air into that massive body,HUUH.

• Anyone have his verse off the Funk Flex cd on here? I remember liking it but havent heard it in years.

• luckluck 4,077 Posts
    I really think it has to do with his sheer size as well. the mental image of him beating on his wife is so

Its a good question though is art or music devauled by the actions or values of its creators ?
    I find mel gibsons work turns me off now. Although thats not the best example as mels work has been questionable for years. I can still listen to big pun but i could never condone his actions.

Shit - anyone see the video of him abusing his wife? Disturbing stuff. I don't recall a closed-hand strike in the particular video, but he was pretty damn scary, considering how he absolutely dwarfed her. He shoved her down pretty hard. Wife-abusers can rot in peace, for all I care - I don't care HOW talented they are.

• The one thing that bothered me when Pun was rapping was the way he used to make these loud ass breathing/pig noises when he would inhale between lines. Like he would almost snort trying to get air into that massive body.

dude was 500 plus pounds. he had a breathing problem. i saw the old photos of him from way back. like 91 or 92 and he was fit like a boxer or something. i don't know what really happened with him and his size. RIP PUN

• deejdeej 5,125 Posts
    obligatory reference to riddling middlemen who didnt do diddly in little italy

i still fuck with a bunch of his tracks for sure
    wifebeating thing is disgusting, i recommend checking the dvd on it - it was watcheable on youtube for awhile

Still my Fav Big Pun song

• first use of fantastic planet st?
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Lnr9fcv-oVM

always liked him *GHUUGHH* when he wasnt *GHUUGH* snorthing

• faux_rillzfaux_rillz 14,343 Posts
    The one thing that bothered me when Pun was rapping,HUUUH, was the way he used to make these loud ass breathing/pig noises,HUUH, when he would inhale between lines. HUUUH,Like he would almost snort trying to get air into that massive body,HUUH.

Among the most over-rated ever.

• mannybolonemannybolone Los Angeles, CA 15,025 Posts

Among the most over-rated ever.

I guess I never rated him that high to feel like he got over-done. Dude could spit but mono-dimensional otherwise.

• wow, i never knew about all that wife beating stuff..I do like Pun and his flow tho',but it did take awhile for him to grow on me(no homo) , as a rapper..

I didn't follow the link, but f this is the tune off Capital Punishment, it was preceded by Rawcotiks' "Magic Chef" (also produced by the Beatnuts - can't say they didn't get some mileage out of their records).

• faux_rillzfaux_rillz 14,343 Posts
    first use of fantastic planet st?

I didn't follow the link, but f this is the tune off Capital Punishment, it was preceded by Rawcotiks' "Magic Chef" (also produced by the Beatnuts - can't say they didn't get some mileage out of their records).

I once owned this record.

I still own[/b] this record.

• The one thing that bothered me when Pun was rapping was the way he used to make these loud ass breathing/pig noises when he would inhale between lines. Like he would almost snort trying to get air into that massive body.

dude was 500 plus pounds. he had a breathing problem. i saw the old photos of him from way back. like 91 or 92 and he was fit like a boxer or something. i don't know what really happened with him and his size. RIP PUN

HoLmes was a good-looking dude. Supposedly his family won a lawsuit and became pretty well off. He would just sit around and eat all the time and blammo...BIG Pun.

I think I read that in like RapPages or The Source BITD.

• I also read somewhere that after the settlement Pun would just drive around in his new car and hit the drive-thru.

Because, you know, eating fast food all the time won't make you, you know, dangerously overweight, or anything.

Towards the end dude had to lay his vocals ON HIS BACK.

• magneticmagnetic 2,678 Posts
    R.I.P to a great mc.

• DORDOR Two Ron Toe 9,899 Posts

• pjl2000xlpjl2000xl 1,795 Posts
    holy shit!

• co-sign on holy shit.

• izm707izm707 1,107 Posts
    this pic was in the Sauce back then...i remember when i saw it, because i tought it was photoshoped, but photoshop didn't exist yet!!!ROFL...

On a serious note, i guess he was not only a great cheeseburger eater. Dude probably had some serious hormone disorder/degenerating genes that caused him to fatten up like that. Incredible like Hulk...I mean, You know Fat Joe was fat from the get go. You can picture him in 8th grade looking exactly like he is today. But Pun, it's like a huge transformation. Scary shit.