karagarga recommendations

autoauto 198 Posts
edited February 2008 in Strut Central
Raiders of the Lost Ark: The Adaptation (1989)This is a shot-for-shot remake of the original Raiders of the Lost Ark (1981), made by three teen-age boys in Mississippi over the course of seven years. Their production wrapped in 1989, and was shelved and forgotten until 2003 when a copy fell into the hands of Eli Roth (writer/director of Cabin Fever (2002) who passed on a copy to 'Steven Spielberg' . Spielberg congratulated the boys on their hard work, and said he looks forward to seeing their names on the big screen.http://karagarga.net/details.php?id=15171they even do the melting face scene and its a facemelter

Comments

• autoauto 198 Posts

• SPlDEYSPlDEY Vegas 3,375 Posts
    Hahaha, I heard about that movie, but haven't got a chance to watch it yet. I'll look into it though.

I'll tell you what I can't reccomend from Karagarga.

Michael Haneke's Cache.

Lots of people over there Hype this one up. It was interesting, had a neat gimmick, Decent acting, good suspense. Just when I'm getting really into it. The movie ends.

I felt like the french director was laughing at me and saying, "ha ha ha, You stupid American. you don't understand the Cinema."

I had to research and find out the reveal was HIDDEN during the last frame just before the credits.

Stupid gimmicky pretentious. I hate Cache.

On a better note, I did watch La Antena.

This was alot of fun, argentinan film shot in the style of Fritz Lang's Metropolis.

The premise:

"An entire city has lost its voice.

Mr. TV, the owner of the city's only television channel, is carrying out a sinister, secret plan to subject all of the city's inhabitants to his will forever more."

It's a great watch even if you don't understand spanish.

La Antena - Trailer

- spidey

• JRootJRoot 861 Posts

Michael Haneke's Cache.

Lots of people over there Hype this one up. It was interesting, had a neat gimmick, Decent acting, good suspense. Just when I'm getting really into it. The movie ends.

I felt like the french director was laughing at me and saying, "ha ha ha, You stupid American. you don't understand the Cinema."

I had to research and find out the reveal was HIDDEN during the last frame just before the credits.

Stupid gimmicky pretentious. I hate Cache.

I liked Cache. Haneke has a tendency to just leave you hanging at the end, and I didn't even know that the reveal was hidden during the last frame until now. Great acting, good suspense, an extremely gruesome and unexpected violent scene, and then the movie ends. I'm ok with that.

Haneke, like many other European directors, have a notion that their audience deserves to be engaged, not just entertained. And in Haneke's case, once he has you engaged, he doesn't usually give you any satisfying answers. But that's why I love his films.

That said, I hate that he's remaking Funny Games for an American audience. And I really hate that it's been pushed back twice, which means it's probably gonna be sucky.

JRoot

• "A song-poem is when people respond to those ads in the backs of magazines, tabloids, comic books that say 'send us your lyrics' or 'songwriters needed'. An average person writes a poem, or set of lyrics, and sends it to a company that promises to take those words, set them to music, and have a record made. The inference being that you can get into the music business this way."

Spidey they finally posted Off The Charts: The Song Poem Story. Think I mentioned it to you before. I'll have to look in to the Indiana Jones adaptation...looks like fun. Metropolis was a good movie. Wasn't it the basis of the Fifth Element (Bruce Willis and Mila Jovavich)

Haneke, like many other European directors, have a notion that their audience deserves to be engaged, not just entertained. And in Haneke's case, once he has you engaged, he doesn't usually give you any satisfying answers. But that's why I love his films.

That said, I hate that he's remaking Funny Games for an American audience. And I really hate that it's been pushed back twice, which means it's probably gonna be sucky.

JRoot

I think something gets lost in the translation. I definitely noticed a lot of criticism against French people and police at the core of that movie. I still think there was a less pretentious way to end that film. I just like closure or resolve.

Spidey they finally posted Off The Charts: The Song Poem Story. Think I mentioned it to you before. I'll have to look in to the Indiana Jones adaptation...looks like fun. Metropolis was a good movie. Wasn't it the basis of the Fifth Element (Bruce Willis and Mila Jovavich)

Hey L*u*e*,

I was waiting to check that movie out. Glad it's finally up. One of these days I'm going to have to cave in and get Netflix or something.

I don't remember much about the Fifth Element film, but it definitely had some Metropolis Influence. I definitely noticed it has a HUGE Moebius influence though.

Moebius is one of my favorite illustrators of all time. There's a great documentary about him on KG.

- spidey

• OkemOkem 4,617 Posts
    Metropolis was a good movie. Wasn't it the basis of the Fifth Element (Bruce Willis and Mila Jovavich)

There's not much connection with the Fifth Element, apart from a few nods, or h'omage moments.

There is a really good anime 'version'

It's not a direct re-telling, but it incorporates many elements from Fritz Lang's og.

• twoplytwoply Only Built 4 Manzanita Links 2,914 Posts

"A song-poem is when people respond to those ads in the backs of magazines, tabloids, comic books that say 'send us your lyrics' or 'songwriters needed'. An average person writes a poem, or set of lyrics, and sends it to a company that promises to take those words, set them to music, and have a record made. The inference being that you can get into the music business this way."

Thanks for the heads up!

There's not much connection with the Fifth Element, apart from a few nods, or h'omage moments.

- spidey