Early 70s Sweet/Falsetto Soul Reccomendations

spelunkspelunk 3,400 Posts
edited February 2008 in Strut Central
I've been getting more and more into this end of the spectrum and want to broaden my horizons a bit, check out some classics I'm surely sleeping on. Open to modern stuff but more interested in early 70s material.Some Favorites off the top of my head:Soul GenerationRonnie McNeirChi-lites9th CreationSunshine MovementCapprellsCurtisThat one amazing harmony 45 that kidinquisitve just sold.

Comments

• Too many bro. Best stuff tends to be from the late 60's IMHO.

• spelunkspelunk 3,400 Posts
    Dude I know there is a lot - it's why I'm asking favorites and recommendations.

• meatyogremeatyogre 2,080 Posts
    ICE COLD LOVE

• Dude I know there is a lot - it's why I'm asking favorites and recommendations.

I know, I just got overwhelmed at the thought of trying to put together a list. I have about 300-400 sitting here that I've kept over the last few years. A few that I put on a mix a couple years ago plus a few others that spring to mind:
    Ethics - I Want My Baby Back b/w Farewell
    The Notations - I'm Still Here, A New Day, etc.
    Darondo - Didn't I b/w Listen To My Song
    The Inticers - I Got To Find Me A Baby
    The Cheers - Take Me To Paradise b/w I Made Up My Mind
    The Ballads - I'm For Real
    Augustine Twins - Everyday Of My Life
    Quintessents - Image Of A Man b/w Movin' On
    Delfonics- He Don't Really Love You
    Epsilons - The Echo
    Summits - It Takes Two
    Mike & The Censations - There Is Nothing I Can Do About It
    Inner Soul - Put The Hurt On You

ICE COLD LOVE

On my wantlist along with a few of the other releases on that label.

• Not all of these have falsetto voices, but fit right in the groove of what you're looking for...we've hashed this topic before, but the archives aren't always easy to search:

- Charles Mann - "Say You Love Me Too" (ABC) - Mann also had an album, which was decent but not an out-and-out classic; "S.Y.L.M.T." was the standout track, and was released as a single (it was a minor hit in '73)

- Ace Spectrum - "Don't Send Nobody Else" (Atlantic) - uptempo, but fits in here

- all of the Mandells singles on Trans World Sound

- Vibrations'"Remember The Rain" on OKeh

- 21st Century's "Remember The Rain" (different song) on RCA

- Doug Gibbs'"I'll Always Have You There" on Oak (with its' rolling piano, it kinda reminds me of Donny Hathaway or Leroy Hutson, but the vibe is total sticky-sweet teenage romance...you want this)

- J.R. Bailey's entire Just Me 'N' You album on MAM (some of these songs were released as singles on Toy)

- the Independents (on Wand)

- Five Flights Up's "Do What You Wanna Do" on TA

- Little Dooley's "It's Got To Be Now Or Never" on North Bay

- Lou Courtney's "What Do You Want Me To Do"

- the Detroit Emeralds, particularly the albums You Want It, You Got It; Do Me Right; and I'm In Love With You, all on Westbound

- Continental Four (on Master Five)

- Major Harris'"Love Won't Let Me Wait" on Atlantic (obvious, I know, but this song is total perfection and you gotta get it if you ain't got it)

- Sequins (their "What Makes Me Love You" on Crajon out-emotes the Emotions...they had other singles too)

- Sons of Robin Stone's "Got To Get You Back" on Atco

- Sly, Slick & Wicked's "Sho Nuff" on People

- the first self-titled album by Cornelius Brothers & Sister Rose on UA

Open to modern stuff but more interested in early 70s material.

Look out for a vocal group called Enchantment, who recorded for Roadshow and kept the smooth soul sound going through the disco era. "Gloria," "It's You That I Need," and "Where Do We Go From Here" are total heartbreakers.

• - J.R. Bailey's entire Just Me 'N' You album on MAM (some of these songs were released as singles on Toy)

Can't recommend this enough.

• hey pickwick. i have a question about the ace spectrum lp with them in white suits standing next to a sedan.

i hope you know what im talking about, i dont have it right in front of me now, i think it was called low rent rendezvous but im not sure.

yeah, anyways, do you know what that thing is on the front of the light on the car? it looks like the bottom of a snare but a friend said it was some sort of car accessory.

- all of the Mandells singles on Trans World Sound

Yeah, I only have "Now I Know" but I need to pick up the others.

THIS THREAD IS WHY I LOVE SOULSTRUT. Thank yous all around.

- J.R. Bailey's entire Just Me 'N' You album on MAM (some of these songs were released as singles on Toy)

WOW. I just heard this and I am SHOOK. This is exactly what I was looking for, thanks!

• the soul-inpressions

the domestic five

the bonnevilles

natural four

the chimes

capsoul groups

• mannybolonemannybolone Los Angeles, CA 15,025 Posts

WOW. I just heard this and I am SHOOK. This is exactly what I was looking for, thanks!

Co-Frickin'-sign.

You should check out that bootleg CD "Bad Bay Area". Lots of great sweet soul jams on there.

Emulations!

• hey pickwick. i have a question about the ace spectrum lp with them in white suits standing next to a sedan.

i hope you know what im talking about, i dont have it right in front of me now, i think it was called low rent rendezvous but im not sure.

yeah, anyways, do you know what that thing is on the front of the light on the car? it looks like the bottom of a snare but a friend said it was some sort of car accessory.

hey man...

i cant identify that thing either. even though ive seen it several times in used stores, i dont have a copy myself...just did a quick Google search and that indeed is a funny-looking sort-of something on the front of that car (a spare tire?), but i dont rightly know what that is

• EMULATIONS ON EMULATE[/b]

• holmesholmes 3,532 Posts
    hey pickwick. i have a question about the ace spectrum lp with them in white suits standing next to a sedan.

hey man...

i cant identify that thing either. even though ive seen it several times in used stores, i dont have a copy myself...just did a quick Google search and that indeed is a funny-looking sort-of something on the front of that car (a spare tire?), but i dont rightly know what that is
    I just checked it out in a pic & it just looks like a pretty ornate headlamp cover/protector for a rounded headlamp, the odd thing is that from what I can make out it seems to be just placed in front of a rectangular headlight, maybe it's meant to form some sort of blinged out facade to the front of the car to make it look a bit pimped out or classier??

• adding on...

Moments (you already knew that)
    Rayfield Reid Treat You Right lp on Ken-Tone (3 or four solid ballads)
    The Whispers (even some of the Solar joints are fire)
    Family Circle on Sky-Disc
    The Page Three
    Don Julian & The Larks
    New Young Hearts on Zea
    SMOKEY ROBINSON & THE MIRACLES
    5 Stairsteps
    T&E Corp.
    Continental Four LP on Jay-Walkin'
    Bloodstone- Natural High and that one with the castle cover (some of the t-neck sides are great tho)
    Lovelites & Emotions for the ladies...

• LokoOneLokoOne 1,823 Posts
    Most of my favs have been added.... plus ill say

Dynamic Superiors

The Intruders

ohh and of course the Bee Gees (joking.....)

EMULATIONS ON EMULATE[/b]

Is it true that shit is pressed on styrene so weakass that just looking at it causes cue burn?

Is it true that shit is pressed on styrene so weakass that just looking at it causes cue burn?

cue burn schmue burn: my first copy literally broke in half just sitting flat in my palm with no pressure on it.

cue burn schmue burn: my first copy literally broke in half just sitting flat in my palm with no pressure on it.

• just a couple comes to my mind right now:

G.C. Cameron - No matter where

The Notations - superpeople

• bassiebassie 11,710 Posts
    Mr. Donnie Elbert

I think the first 70s release is a collection of his 50s/60s songs - but it wouldn't be half bad to hear that stuff as it is beautiful. His releases are funny - he recorded in the 70s, but different labels were simultaneously releasing his music from different times. Anyway, man has an incredible voice imo.

• Mr. Donnie Elbert

I think the first 70s release is a collection of his 50s/60s songs - but it wouldn't be half bad to hear that stuff as it is beautiful. His releases are funny - he recorded in the 70s, but different labels were simultaneously releasing his music from different times. Anyway, man has an incredible voice imo.

His version of "Where Did Our Love Go" has always been a favorite of mine, even though it copies the Supremes' version almost note for note. Elbert attacks that tune with a lot more gusto than Diana Ross did. Love that AAAAAH! he throws in every now and then - "AAAAAAAH! don't you want me..." I think the reason why there were all these reissues is because the labels were cashing in on "W.D.O.L.G.," which was his biggest hit. Although, in a weird move, he was recording for All Platinum and Avco simultaneously...

And fans of Fender Rhodes electric piano might want to track down his All Platinum single, "Can't Stand These Lonely Nights."

• jinx74jinx74 2,287 Posts

musicians always refer to the Emulations as one of the best groups of the time. stage presence, singing capabilities, dance routines, etc. all three of their 45s are great.

• a couple of 45 of mine that may fit this category

valdons - love me leave me/all day long - twin cities movement
    pearls - shooting high - lamp
    fred moss - i'll always love you - vanessa
    majestee's - let her go - mutt
    de vons - someone to treat me - king

• HarveyCanalHarveyCanal "a distraction from my main thesis." 13,234 Posts
    I prefer part 2 of this song, but here ya go...

• batmonbatmon 27,574 Posts
    Falsetto -

Stylistics
    Post Smokey Miracles
    Side Effects - Late 70's though but dude can blow like a bird- Watching Life

Late 70's
    Switch - Bobby DeBarge

• ICE COLD LOVE + INNER SOUL + EMULATIONS

In absolute agreement. Then add Circulations, Main Attraction & GTs 45s. And then flip over 70s funk records with that Raggedy Bag / Freakish Love type sound??? Then don't pass over major label stuff??? etc???

• tomasltomasl 315 Posts