AMY WINEHORSE IS DA BAST

13»

Comments

• mannybolonemannybolone Los Angeles, CA 15,025 Posts

People (albeit much smaller numbers) were taking note of her pre-Ronson. Salaam Remi did a good job with Frank even though it's nowhere near as tough as Back to Black. She sounds good over a gang of producers. Bugz in the Attic produced a classic remix for "In my bed".

She was winning Black music awards in the UK for years before Ronson came along.

Can I get a witness, Aser? Empanadamn?

my 0.02....

Yeah but her shit didn't go gargantuan until post-Ronson and much of the print devoted to her was specifically b/c of her retro-soul style. I guess she can get credit for the bee hive though.

• izm707izm707 1,107 Posts
    please dude, that's 0,0000000002 cents you just put up (j/k). Nobody noticed her before she worked with Ronson. And you know that. Of course she was "floating" around, but Ronson made her shine whereas other people just cashed a check and went on...And while i'm at it, i wouldn't like her if it wasn't for the braekbeats, the soul feeling and a couple of remixes (including Ghost). Three years ago, she was more of a jazz club singer. It was

• BunkBunk 15 Posts
    Someone fill me in here, I guess I don't know the whole story. Why are you giving Ronson so much credit? Thought he just introduced her to the Dap Kings. I know he's credited as the producer for half the songs, but the Dap Kings are playing the music, so don't really know what Ronson's involvement is. Not with Daptone having their own staff.

Someone fill me in here, I guess I don't know the whole story. Why are you giving Ronson so much credit? Thought he just introduced her to the Dap Kings. I know he's credited as the producer for half the songs, but the Dap Kings are playing the music, so don't really know what Ronson's involvement is. Not with Daptone having their own staff.

I'm not one to deny the Dap-Kings their due but Ronson fit them into his sound, not the other way around.

As Pos K (or the Isleys) would say though: "a good combination"

• DocMcCoyDocMcCoy "Go and laugh in your own country!" 5,913 Posts

People (albeit much smaller numbers) were taking note of her pre-Ronson. Salaam Remi did a good job with Frank even though it's nowhere near as tough as Back to Black. She sounds good over a gang of producers. Bugz in the Attic produced a classic remix for "In my bed".

She was winning Black music awards in the UK for years before Ronson came along.

my 0.02....

Well, yeah. I first caught her live just around the time her first album came out, and it was clear the girl had talent. She seemed more on a "North London Jewish Princess Goes Erykah Badu" tip back then, so the change of direction on Back To Black was something of a surprise, but she was definitely causing a stir for her music rather than her lifestyle choices. All the junkie shit, as well as her status as a tabloid favourite, came much later, and goes back to what I was saying in my last post; perhaps now that all this has shifted the focus back to her music, it might finally occur to her that being clean, functioning and productive is a better idea than buying into some doomed junkie/tortured artist myth. Time will tell.

• JuniorJunior 4,853 Posts

my 0.02....

It's great to see the Strut talk about Winehouse, I feel there's so much ground left for us to discuss.......

Anyway, Winehouse was already having a decent level of success off her first album, at least in the UK anyway (went platinum, nominated for BRITS etc). However there's no denying that her second album took her fame to a whole 'nother level. Seems pretty obvious to me at least that, while the album would have been successful anyway, her personal problems helped keep the album in the public's conciousness long enough for it to become even bigger.

On a side point, while I am not Winehouse's biggest fan (I think the album is reasonable and enjoyable enough) I really don't get this constant harping on about how she somehow "stole" the fame that was rightfully Sharon Jones. Beyond what I can see as the obvious Strut reason for this it just seems nonsensical.

• perhaps now that all this has shifted the focus back to her music, it might finally occur to her that being clean, functioning and productive is a better idea than buying into some doomed junkie/tortured artist myth.

95% of the greatest music ever recorded in the history of recorded music has been made by junkies, alcoholics, perverts, functional illiterates and dummies. FACT.

perhaps now that all this has shifted the focus back to her music, it might finally occur to her that being clean, functioning and productive is a better idea than buying into some doomed junkie/tortured artist myth.

95% of the greatest music ever recorded in the history of recorded music has been made by junkies, alcoholics, perverts, functional illiterates and dummies. FACT.

True, but they need to get it the right way round. It's when these youngsters think they need to acquire a habit before they can produce great art that the problems start - "Hey, Charlie Parker/Keith Richards/Billie Holiday used junk - maybe if I use junk, I can be as good as them too!"

NEWSFLASH - they were already good before the junk.

• perhaps now that all this has shifted the focus back to her music, it might finally occur to her that being clean, functioning and productive is a better idea than buying into some doomed junkie/tortured artist myth.

So we should expect some great music out of the Strut???

• original demos of songs from "back to black" (i need mp3s if anybody gots em)-

omg i love this broad

• UnherdUnherd 1,880 Posts
    I know he's credited as the producer for half the songs, but the Dap Kings are playing the music, so don't really know what Ronson's involvement is.

Yeah, if someone's not chopping braykz on the MP, what else is there for a producer to do?

• I know he's credited as the producer for half the songs, but the Dap Kings are playing the music, so don't really know what Ronson's involvement is.

Yeah, if someone's not chopping braykz on the MP, what else is there for a producer to do?

go out and score some dope.

• DB_CooperDB_Cooper Manhatin' 7,823 Posts
    I know he's credited as the producer for half the songs, but the Dap Kings are playing the music, so don't really know what Ronson's involvement is.

I hear you, man. I heard Phil Spector had the best coke, hence his legendary stature in the music world.

• DJ_EnkiDJ_Enki 6,471 Posts

• JRootJRoot 861 Posts
    original demos of songs from "back to black" (i need mp3s if anybody gots em)-

omg i love this broad

What type of fuckery is this?

original demos of songs from "back to black" (i need mp3s if anybody gots em)-

omg i love this broad

Oh, man, those are great. Good lookin' out, Phill.

• i saw her live maybe 8 months ago and it was a pretty dope show. cuties there were on an ass grabbing mission. anyway, i just saw her grammy performance last night on the news (i'm sure someone posted it already but i've no youtube access from work) and it was straght GARBAGE! i'm a huge back to black fan, but damn her magic faded faaaaaaaast!

i saw her live maybe 8 months ago and it was a pretty dope show. cuties there were on an ass grabbing mission. anyway, i just saw her grammy performance last night on the news (i'm sure someone posted it already but i've no youtube access from work) and it was straght GARBAGE! i'm a huge back to black fan, but damn her magic faded faaaaaaaast!

Drugs will do that.

• dmacdmac 472 Posts
    Anyone got the 411 on a rebroadcast? I was working last night and missed the show.

anyone, anyone?

• jaymackjaymack 5,199 Posts
    Anyone got the 411 on a rebroadcast? I was working last night and missed the show.

anyone, anyone?

do you know how to use the interwebs, cause i know its outthere? as far as a rebroaadcast, its not like the mtv awards, youll never see it again on tv.

• dmacdmac 472 Posts
    as far as a rebroaadcast, its not like the mtv awards, youll never see it again on tv.

Not on TV ever again. That's all I needed to know. Thank you.

Now what are these interwebs I've been hearing so much about?

• GaryGary 3,982 Posts
    im not a huge fan of her, but Ronson did an awesome job. The production is tighter than a pussy in cold winter[/b]. I can listen to it without a problem. Dude just got what it takes. I dont even think Amy would have had any recognition without Ronson's work behind. The only song im not feeling was the Marvin/Tammy cover. She fucked it up. But the rest of the LP is just so good, hating on it is like hating on your dick...[/b]

Don't ever stop posting here.

• m_dejeanm_dejean Quadratisch. Praktisch. Gut. 2,946 Posts
    im not a huge fan of her, but Ronson did an awesome job. The production is tighter than a pussy in cold winter. I can listen to it without a problem. Dude just got what it takes. I dont even think Amy would have had any recognition without Ronson's work behind. The only song im not feeling was the Marvin/Tammy cover. She fucked it up. But the rest of the LP is just so good, hating on it is like hating on your dick...

Didn't Ronson share the production duties with Salaam Remi on "Back To Black"? I think that dude deserves a little recognition too.

While I think the whole Winehouse phenomenon got way out of hand a long time ago, BTB is still a solid album. But I'll co-sign on the weakness of the Marvin/Tammy sample joint. Shit just sounds really weird every time it comes on. Like she's singing to a totally different backing track.

• im not a huge fan of her, but Ronson did an awesome job. The production is tighter than a pussy in cold winter[/b]. I can listen to it without a problem. Dude just got what it takes. I dont even think Amy would have had any recognition without Ronson's work behind. The only song im not feeling was the Marvin/Tammy cover. She fucked it up. But the rest of the LP is just so good, hating on it is like hating on your dick...[/b]

Don't ever stop posting here.

saying.

dude is an inspiration to us all.

• yuichiyuichi Urban sprawl 11,331 Posts
    whatever happened to longevity in the game?

• whatever happened to longevity in the game?

huh?

• Those demos are trash. Why not listen to your soul albums from the 60s since they're far superior to this?

• Those demos are trash. Why not listen to your soul albums from the 60s since they're far superior to this?

oh shit, wait... "Mad Drama Teacher"... i guess you actually are Mad doggie

• I never give much respect to imitators.

Not saying don't listen to it, though.