KMD Appreciation (1991)

thesolelifethesolelife 369 Posts
edited February 2008 in Strut Central
No students to see right now, so just killin' time...Is it just me or did anyone else feel the anticipation for KMD to blow-up after Gas Face, Peach Fuzz and Mr. Hood....I'm not talking about their releases later on but I'm just looking back to '91 and how I was just waitin' for KMD to be the next movement after De La, Tribe, JB's, etc...I know, eventually, we saw what was to happen, but just think if black bastards came out in the 90s, officially....

Comments

• batmonbatmon 27,574 Posts
    but I'm just looking back to '91 and how I was just waitin' for KMD to be the next movement after De La, Tribe, JB's, etc...

NO

The formula was so tired by then I was glad some Gangsta shit eclipsed this shit.

• but I'm just looking back to '91 and how I was just waitin' for KMD to be the next movement after De La, Tribe, JB's, etc...

NO

The formula was so tired by then I was glad some Gangsta shit eclipsed this shit.

I don't think Black Bastards followed any "formula." And I don't think I ever anticipated it blowing up. But it's prolly my favorite album of the year it came out and prolly my favorite album of every year it was supposed to come out.

• SIRUSSIRUS 2,554 Posts
    i liked some of thier songs but i was never crazy about the albums. now that first doom album

• black bastards> mr.hood in my book

black bastards is one of my favorite records in any genre

• black bastards> mr.hood in my book

black bastards is one of my favorite records in any genre

• I agree...Peach Fuzz was the shit for me and the rest of the album was okay...I'm just talkin' bout the potential they had....

and yes...

Black Bastards showed us all!!!

I just wished it would have come out in like '92 er '93, that's all...

• anyone remember the og cover? they had a little pic in the source.
    the hung sambo had white wrists

when they re-released for some reason they colored in the wrists
    small detail. but not that small

• Yeah, I remember the Fab Five Freddy Yo! MTV raps with 3rd Bass and they showed KMD and the "peachfuzz" video I think. I went out and bought that tape ASAP!

"hum along if you can't sing along then hum along"

Burt & Ernie breaks =

• JuniorJunior 4,853 Posts
    black bastards> mr.hood in my book

It's an album that has also aged extremely well.

• like a sweet premium wine

• RaystarRaystar 1,106 Posts
    Is it just me or did anyone else feel the anticipation for KMD to blow-up after Gas Face, Peach Fuzz and Mr. Hood...

I feel you...

I really need them Black Bastard mp3's...

• what up ray!!!!

i be the mad bluff caller like...
    CALLER ID MOTHAFU%*A!!!!

• I don't know about you guys but, I'm feelin' like a hair-cut and a shave right about now.

• 808 man..Gas Face rebuttAL..

• i also prefer the 2nd album. it really has aged very well

• your mother likes to visit the old churches

• your mother likes to visit the old churches

Ooh...I know he just didn't diss my mother!

I prefer the Mr Hood LP. Elektra at that time was

• p_gunnp_gunn 2,284 Posts
    but I'm just looking back to '91 and how I was just waitin' for KMD to be the next movement after De La, Tribe, JB's, etc...

NO

funny, at the time, i remember reading a review (advanced promo copy?) of "black bastards" and the reviewer was dissing them for ditching the sunnier sound of their first record to jump on the gangsta bandwagon... i remember looking for that album for years in the pre-internet/reissue era...

NO

funny, at the time, i remember reading a review (advanced promo copy?) of "black bastards" and the reviewer was dissing them for ditching the sunnier sound of their first record to jump on the gangsta bandwagon... i remember looking for that album for years in the pre-internet/reissue era...

I was feelin Peach Fuzz band still do but I just felt at the time the Native-Tongue clonage was becoming a bit much. Cats were embracing the a style that the "originators" like Tribe/JB/Brand Nubian were starting to grow away from.

NO

I was feelin Peach Fuzz band still do but I just felt at the time the Native-Tongue clonage was becoming a bit much. Cats were embracing the a style that the "originators" like Tribe/JB/Brand Nubian were starting to grow away from.

Black Bastards is the In God We Trust of KMD records...

What's the equivalent to Punks Get Up To Get Beat Down & Love Me Or Leave Me Alone?

What's the equivalent to Punks Get Up To Get Beat Down & Love Me Or Leave Me Alone?

Punks Jump Up= get U Now

uh, there is no Love Me or Leave Me Alone equiv...

Steal Ya Ho = Sweet Premium wine...

Punks Jump Up= get U Now

Show me the videos

Punks Jump Up= get U Now

Show me the videos

guy, the record never came out, there are no videos

• SIRUSSIRUS 2,554 Posts

Punks Jump Up= get U Now

Show me the videos

guy, the record never came out, there are no videos
    off topic, but it really impressed me that they improved the ending to the 89' batman.

off topic, but it really impressed me that they improved the ending to the 89' batman.

Whatchoo talmbout Willis?

What improvement?

• SIRUSSIRUS 2,554 Posts

Whatchoo talmbout Willis?

What improvement?
    whoops, i meant improvised. i read a interview with tim burton and he said that at the time of shooting they didn't have the ending properly scripted.

• Options
    I wish everyone could of heard Black Bastards the way it was mastered on Elektra.
    Doom spent months after Sub's death mastering it and adding the final song "Suspended Animation"
    He was cool enough to give me an Elektra promo tape back in 94 when I met him...the sound was amazing. He made the subverse release off of a promo tape which really dulled the quality of the OG mixdown. Picture the whole album sounding as good as the What A Nigg! Know! 12" single sound quality.

I just recently bought a tape from Doom's younger brother with 9 unreleases KMD beats from the time period between Mr. Hood and Black Bastards. The shit is grainy but hot as hell. Including the original unreleased version of WhatA Nigg! Know. All the beats were produced by Sub. Including a comeback apperance of Bert & Ernie on this jam "Shapes"

I will be releasing it soon as an instro album and my boy talked to Cage about rhyming on some tracks, hes down...I want to get Kurious and Sub's old friends to rhyme on it.

• Options
    There was a video for What A Nigg! Know that Elektra never released too.
    It was half the album version and half the remix!

• djsheepdjsheep 3,620 Posts
    Does anyone have that mix that dude did with all KMD samples?? That shit was FRESH!