Five.

Hotsauce84Hotsauce84 8,450 Posts
edited February 2008 in Strut Central
Been a rough week...bittersweet memories, 11 hr. work days, no episode 8. Figured I'd kick off a round of things that helped me get through.1. Homemade chicken soup.[/b] Mom made a HUGEMONGOUS batch. She lives alone so she tucked away a little for herself and gave me a freezer full of chicken, rice, vegetables, onions, etc. all neatly packed in little Tupperware bowls. Deliciously accompanied by Trader Jose's Corn Tortilla Flat Breads. Perfect for this cold ass winter weather. Thanks, Ma!2. Stress.[/b] Kinda strange to put this as a five, but this is different kind of stress. I got a real nice promotion a couple months ago. My new manager expects a lot of me, but does so in a way that pushes me to better myself. And whereas my last role was stressful in a make-decisions-on-the-spot sense, this one allows me to really think things through. Plus...mo' money.3. Project: Bedframe.[/b]I'm determined to upholster my bedframe. My brown brother Ish from Pimp My Ride has inspired me. I'm looking to do something like this but just the platform, no headboard (although eventually I'll get diamond tuft on elsewhere): Any tips? I've never done this before.4. MetroGhettosectual Finds.[/b]Stopped at church (aka Ross) after work today. Picked up a fresh and comfy pair of Nike Free 5.0's and some Paper Denim jeans for $16. (Delay, I HAVE to send you a pic. They are TO DIE FOR!) Grabbed a second pair for a friend of mine. Yeah, I know it's seems ghey to buy clothes for your hoLmeses, but trust me, if I had millions and I found a great deal on a Bentley, I'd grab an extra for my brethren. That's how I do. Sneakers, mix CD's, fly gear...if I can brighten a day for a couple bucks, I'm game. 5. SoulStrut.[/b]Yeah, there's always the moodiness. The grouchiness. The silly, pointless arguments. The sarcastic haterz of everything. But for every sentence that irks me, there's about 20 things that put a smile on my face. Whether it's a funny graemlin, an inspiring anecdote, a fantastic 'Strut-related remix or song, a real-world inside joke, a generous sharing of the raer...this place ALWAYS puts me in a good mood. And I always feel comfortable knowing I can post stuff that may be TMI to some (and probably confuses the truck out of the lurkers), but is therapeutic to me. I HEART SOULSTRUT. Por vida, hoLmes.**BONUS BEAT**When I was in the dressing room at Ross, "Sir Duke" came over the loudspeaker. I swear to God I was getting my dance on in my boxers. Laugh all you want, but that song makes me feel DAMN good. I know I'm not alone.

Comments

• Perfect for this cold ass winter weather.

Loc: Tucson, AZ

• bassiebassie 11,710 Posts
    YEK - My new taupe perforated Creative Reaction high tops - can't believe I have to wait three months before I can wear them out!

DOH - Homemade veggie meatball sandwiches (inspired by the one I had at Tiny's). The bread was not totally right, but I am willing to keep making them til the perfect bread comes along. It's all about the sauce! And the wine. And the salad.

SEH - Burning Spear - The Youth 45

CHAR - The thrill of walking through a snowstorm: everything is coverd in snow, the branches all glitter, your face is cold, but the rest of you is warm and you can see your house down the street.

PANJ - DJ Drama - Gangsta Grillz

• CHAR - The thrill of walking through a snowstorm: everything is coverd in snow, the branches all glitter, your face is cold, but the rest of you is warm and you can see your house down the street.

I miss the snow down here in VA. It was 70 yesterday and its 60 today.

• Stopped at church (aka Ross)

These are my confessions.

Cue Fatboy Slim "Praise You."

• SwayzeSwayze 14,705 Posts

DOH - Homemade veggie meatball sandwiches (inspired by the one I had at Tiny's). The bread was not totally right, but I am willing to keep making them til the perfect bread comes along. It's all about the sauce! And the wine. And the salad.

Please to post the recipe!

Eitt: A friend buying me a record I've been looking for, for what seems like ages. Thank you, Gu??mundur P??tursson!

Tv??: Les Rallizes Denudes - Heavier Than a Death in the Family. YES.

??rj??: Dark - Zero Time. YES.

Fj??gur: Cold weather.

Fimm: S??pur.

• bassiebassie 11,710 Posts
    Itsoweezee!!

The bread, you're on your own. But let me know if you find something that really works. I think the trick is a bun dense enough to hold everything together but not so dense that it's too chewy and overpowers the taste of everything else.

Make your favourite tomato sauce. A fair bit because the bread really soaks it up. As you know, extra can be kept for later.

Have lots of grated or thinly sliced parmesan on hand for the construction portion at the end. We're not huge cheese fans, so you can have other/more cheese, I guess mozzarella being the obvious choice.

The meatballs, either cheat and buy them pre-made or else start garlic, chili flakes and rosemary with olive oil, add fake ground round and toss til you like where it's at. In another bowl thinly grate mozzarella or another cheese you like with similar density and toss that with bread crumbs and chopped parsely and/or basil. When the meat-stuff is done, toss in the cheese/breadcrumbs and working quickly, make the balls/patties - the cheese/crumbs should help to keep it together. Put on a sheet and in the oven for a few minutes if you like or just begin construction!

Bread, meatballs, slather on sauce, cheese, the other piece of bread.

Noush-e-jan!!

• bluesnagbluesnag 1,285 Posts
    Perfect for this cold ass winter weather.

I'm in Tucson too. It's not the east-coast brand of "cold ass winter weather", but it gets down to freezing or below at night, and we have to scrape the windows of the car in the morning. I don't know about Herm's place, but my house is cold as shit in the winter. It was built a while back, and built to stay cool in the summer, but it can't contain heat worth shit (and we rent too, so we can't re-insulate the whole place). We always have the heat on and its always cold as a motherfucker.

• HarveyCanalHarveyCanal "a distraction from my main thesis." 13,234 Posts
    1. Gene's Po-Boys - Had smothered pork chops last week, gumbo over the weekend, and a roast beef po-boy on Fat Tuesday. The man is over time becoming like a godfather to my family.

2. My wife and daughter taking a capoeira class together. Something about seeing my sweet little 2 year old ducking under and jumping over swings of a stick, not to mention walking like a zebra and a crocodile, just warms my heart.

3. Gearing up for the afterschool program our foundation is particpating in starting on Feb 28th. It's already been a challenge trying to get our guest lecturers to contribute to the full scope of the planning that has to be done like yesterday. But whatever, I'll just take the lead on the administrative stuff and let them do what they do best.

4. 3rd dj gig in about a month's time coming up and it's for a very classy woman's new photography opening. We deejayed her love/sex party last year and it was a blast. This one will be completely different from that one, but it should still be lots of fun.

5. People still want me to write for them. I'm kinda burned out and need to read about 50 more books before I catch up on my rule that you should read 1,000 pages for every page that you write. But it's at least nice to know that my writing is still in demand.

• FYBSFYBS 271 Posts

It's not the east-coast brand of "cold ass winter weather",

Midwest Brand of "cold ass winter weather" > East Coast brand of "cold ass winter weather"

but who's counting.

• bluesnagbluesnag 1,285 Posts

It's not the east-coast brand of "cold ass winter weather",

Midwest Brand of "cold ass winter weather" > East Coast brand of "cold ass winter weather"

but who's counting.

I hear ya, I've just never lived there.

• 5. People still want me to write for them. I'm kinda burned out and need to read about 50 more books before I catch up on my rule that you should read 1,000 pages for every page that you write. But it's at least nice to know that my writing is still in demand.

Harv, count them soulstrut pages. It's still reading.

• DJ_EnkiDJ_Enki 6,471 Posts
    3. Gearing up for the afterschool program our foundation is particpating in starting on Feb 28th. It's already been a challenge trying to get our guest lecturers to contribute to the full scope of the planning that has to be done like yesterday. But whatever, I'll just take the lead on the administrative stuff and let them do what they do best.

Hey, best of luck with this, man. I hope it takes off for you. (Also, depending on how my taxes shake out, I may be able to send some more dough your way.)

1. Finally getting this beat programmed right last night. Shit had been bothering me for like a week--it was close but not quite right, and I finally got it sorted out. Huzzah!

2. "Mahogany." Had to sit in the car after I got home the other day and listen to this song in its entirety. Seemed like a crime to cut it off a third of the way through just because I had arrived at my destination.

3. I think I've found my musical niche for the moment. It's a good feeling.

4. August vacation is booked and good to go. Vienna, Dubrovnik, and Venice, holla!

5. Getting good records of late, including some nice braekz.

• djdazedjdaze 3,099 Posts
    Grabbed a second pair for a friend of mine. Yeah, I know it's seems ghey to buy clothes for your hoLmeses, but trust me, if I had millions and I found a great deal on a Bentley, I'd grab an extra for my brethren. That's how I do. Sneakers, mix CD's, fly gear...if I can brighten a day for a couple bucks, I'm game.

I'll check my mail today

• but it gets down to freezing or below at night

I think it's been above freezing for a total of 12 hours this year so far.

• FYBSFYBS 271 Posts
    but it gets down to freezing or below at night

I think it's been above freezing for a total of 12 hours this year so far.

Makes me glad I moved to philly.

• yuichiyuichi Urban sprawl 11,331 Posts
    1. Sunny as fuck, blue skies in Los Angeles.
    2. Completed my damn traffic school!!!
    3. Been finding some cool records lately.
    4. Renewed sense of purpose.
    5. BillBradley's post in "Post funny pictures thread".

• 1. Looking at apartments with the lady in Providence this Saturday. Not the best city on Earth, but lookin' forward to Ty Jesso's nights, proximity to Boston, Julian's bacon, and just livin' with the lady.

2. My rock band is one mixing session away from completing our first 'actual' album. Then it's off to mastering, then off to printing. We should have them in hand by April at the latest. Then it's time to get on the road a bit to sell them bitches.

3. I'm beginning my last semester of grad school (library science) and actually learning some useful skills for once (advanced cataloging and database design). With any luck I'll score my boss's old job soon (she quit in December and I've been doing her work ever since anyway).

4. General appreciation for food and wine. The lady and I love to cook and drink wine so my evenings have been very pleasant as of late.

5. Hollywood Video's Netflix-esque pricing plan. I burn and return 2 DVDs per day. I'm sure I'll exhaust what I like from their selection soon, but it's getting us through the winter anyway.

• Radio - cilantro. too much is never enough. i want a cologne made from this. i want a mattress stuffed with it. i want.... cilantro.

Street - fresh pair of white sneakers. crispy, so crispy. not built for sloppy minnesota winters so a huge "thank you" to whoever came up with the "skyway."

UK Dance Remix - negotiating 2 more residencies. i will soon be living off spinning records which is exciting and scary as hell and loooooooooooooong overdue.

Dub - the girl dj. 4th date tonight (providing downtown is slow and i get cut from playing) will start at her house while she goes through records and then... bowling? movie? pool? dinner? a combination? playing this one by ear.

Inst - deep fryer in full effect. chicken wing recipes getting down to perfection. planning a "fry the hell out of something and eat it party" in the next few weeks. you're all invited.

* bonus beats - "lip sync" by len barry

• pcmrpcmr 5,591 Posts
    Um-
    I wanted to slaughter the people taking care of my girls stolen bag (bus company) they offered me a low-ass ball offer (why do i have to 'negotiate' corporately) that i have to acept cuz i am leaving in three days and there is a 48 refund wait

Dois
    My friend and boss just dropped off a cool stasj of weed

Treis
    I am going back to see all the ninos y ninas en el peru CARAJO!!!

Quatro
    Goodbye weekend here in Brazil

Cinco

same flight valentines day miracle landing with my girl in Lima...

• SwayzeSwayze 14,705 Posts
    Itsoweezee!!

The bread, you're on your own. But let me know if you find something that really works. I think the trick is a bun dense enough to hold everything together but not so dense that it's too chewy and overpowers the taste of everything else.

Make your favourite tomato sauce. A fair bit because the bread really soaks it up. As you know, extra can be kept for later.

Have lots of grated or thinly sliced parmesan on hand for the construction portion at the end. We're not huge cheese fans, so you can have other/more cheese, I guess mozzarella being the obvious choice.

The meatballs, either cheat and buy them pre-made or else start garlic, chili flakes and rosemary with olive oil, add fake ground round and toss til you like where it's at. In another bowl thinly grate mozzarella or another cheese you like with similar density and toss that with bread crumbs and chopped parsely and/or basil. When the meat-stuff is done, toss in the cheese/breadcrumbs and working quickly, make the balls/patties - the cheese/crumbs should help to keep it together. Put on a sheet and in the oven for a few minutes if you like or just begin construction!

Bread, meatballs, slather on sauce, cheese, the other piece of bread.

Noush-e-jan!!

Takk fyrir!

• Stopped at church (aka Ross)

These are my confessions.

Cue Fatboy Slim "Praise You."

My lady calls it church 'cause it's my Sunday morning ritual.

I don't know about Herm's place, but my house is cold as shit in the winter. It was built a while back, and built to stay cool in the summer, but it can't contain heat worth shit

Same here, except I'm also a pussy when it drops below 60. And you know what? I haven't even turned the heat on! My house is pretty big for just me. I'm trying to see if I can get through the winter without it 'cause I hate paying a $130+ gas bill on my own! I have an awesome little space heater and I just move it wherever I go.

• Big_StacksBig_Stacks "I don't worry about hittin' power, cause I don't give 'em nuttin' to hit." 4,670 Posts
    Hey,

Here are some fives for today:

1. It's been unseasonably warm in Dirty Jerz (around 60 degrees on Wednesday).

2. My classes have been going well (new prof on-the-block-related).

3. T**i and I are slow-walking down the home of our dreams (I see light at the end of the tunnel).

4. My merit-pay adjustment kicked in on my check . The extra cheese will come in handy on the house hunting-tip.

5. I've lost some weight. My "disciplined eating" and morning pooch walks are working out quite nicely.

Peace,

Big Stacks from Kakalak

• 1. Technically, it's Friday bitches! Can't hate on that.

2. Party at my place on Saturday. DJ Dubs (myself) will be in effect.

3. Classes are looking good for this semester. We're only a week in at this point but I've liked what I've seen so far. Decided not to transfer next year so that's also a school related load off my shoulders.

4. Talked to the ex/still girlfriend (shit's complicated) today at length which we hadn't done in a while. It felt really good to connect like that over the phone.

5. Been wearing an all around good mood this past week for reasons unknown but I've been loving it. Meeting new people in classes and parties has been fun. Met a couple dude's at a Mardi Gras shindig that do beats in a little home studio. Dude played out some shit for me in his car and (from what I remember, which ain't much) it was real solid. Can't wait to link up with him.

Bonus: Leaders 1354 is having their 50% off sale on Sunday. Can't wait to blow through my last work check on some cheap new gear. If any of you are in the area on Sunday, stay the fuck out my shopping vicinity!

• akoako https://soundcloud.com/a-ko 3,413 Posts
    wow, i never do these but here we go!

1. my girlfriend.

she's sleeping in the other room, we've had our ups and downs in the past but i think we finally reached that point where it just plain smooooooth. never been happier, although shes worried she loves me more than i love her at this point, which is something i could never even imagine being the case a year ago...hahaha

2. about to get some CA$H MONEY

some fuckin idiot slammed into my car at one in the morning around christmas time. my car is was a 1995 VW Passat with 280,000+ miles on it, yet my dad convinced the insurance company the value of the car was $3000. i'm pretty excited because i've never needed money more in my life and now its basically falling into my lap. this also brings me to my next one:

3. parents

im talking to my dad more now than i ever have in my life i think, which is nice because things have always seemed kinda awkward between us. plus big ups to him for getting me that $$$$! and my mom is great too. i love her so much. a big help throughout my whole life as she is probably one of the most understanding people ive ever met.

4. motorcycles/mopeds

i stay up every night thinking about these. i'm about to buy a couple very soon, and fix up one that i've been meaning to work on for months now. exciting stuff and making me doubly excited for spring to come...

5. winter should be over soon.

PLEASE GOD. PLEEEEEEEEASE.

• 1. My Baby Girl is doing better. She??s 6 Month and in hospital, I just got back from Nightshift there to get my big Girl some sleep. I love both of them. If she still would do bad I would skip No 2:

2. Tonight ????ll be playing the Last Night of a 6 Year Residence in a very cool Club. I been there since it opened, we started as a "HipHop Night" but soon I turned into playing kinda everything. Was a Blast. We??ll be having a big Party, Champagne ( Me luv the bubblie!) Me Friends will be showing up, and I asked my fellow DJs to bring Records, but not more than 10. They have to be serious. Florian Keller and Jan from the Poets, Sepalot and Explizit, they bring different heat. We gonna set that place on fire.

3. I??m pretty broke but happy.

4. I got some work in a new tight Restaurant with nice people. they got Merguez on the Menu. Anybody knows the deal about the Queen of Sausages? thats a new threat. The Seeds of my freelance work are about to grow as well.

5. Soulstrut made throw on some records, like Carole King and stuff. didn??t listen to it for a while. Thank you Soulstrut.

• plusses:
    1. right now playing my johnny colon 'boogaloo blues' LP on cotique (NM OG!) for the 1st time, and its sooo nice.

2. video editing project is under control. still much work to be done, but i can finally visualize how its going to turn out, and i think it can be turned in by monday.

3. a totally nasty yet very satisfying 5 AM snack going on right now, keeping the video flames lit: 1 can coke over ice, 1 box regular triscuits, one can bizarre nacho e-z squirt "cheese zip" from a random ass x-mas gift basket. busted it out and its actually decent!

4. just remembered i think im 2 new Wires behind! hbo on demand is like a gift that keeps re-wrapping itself while you are busy.

5. my record connection sez come back asap, hes swimming in new untapped crates. monday?

minuses:
    1. i havent really seen another human for a few days, its a weird feeling. (i like solo life in general but days of solitude on end is odd). i need to like, go to the post office or something, see a familiar face and shit.

2. canker sore on the bottom rear of my tounge! every bite of food = sudden sharp pain as it brishes against my teeth. Ow!!!!

always more + than - in my world. PMA!

• That's my place. I stumbled across that place. It feels like this place I use to go when I lived in Louisiana. Oddly enough, before I read this, my acting friend wants to eat lunch there tomorrow.

1. Gene's Po-Boys - Had smothered pork chops last week, gumbo over the weekend, and a roast beef po-boy on Fat Tuesday. The man is over time becoming like a godfather to my family.

• GaryGary 3,982 Posts

3. parents

im talking to my dad more now than i ever have in my life i think, which is nice because things have always seemed kinda awkward between us. plus big ups to him for getting me that $$$$! and my mom is great too. i love her so much. a big help throughout my whole life as she is probably one of the most understanding people ive ever met.

Its weird how your relationship with your parents changes once you get older. I like hanging out with my dad now. In highschool I never would have thought that was possible. But now I see my dad as a cool guy.

• I like hanging out with my dad now. In highschool I never would have thought that was possible. But now I see my dad as a cool guy.

So true. When I was home for summer and just recently for Christmas break/J-Term all I wanted to do on Sunday afternoons was chill with pops. We don't have a ton of common interests but we can talk music all day, sports (no golf), politics (seed fell very near the tree). Not the most insightful dude I've ever known, but he's kinda like his dad, when he drops knowledge shit is real. I definitely appreciate the guy a lot more now that I'm approaching grownass status.