Best Produced Rap/HipHop Albums of the 90s?

Comments

• HarveyCanalHarveyCanal "a distraction from my main thesis." 13,234 Posts

LOL. I love this album but some of the production is ridiculously dated.

People are posting Gang Starr and Pete Rock albums and you choose to peg Illegal Business as "ridiculously dated"?

I dunno, nowadays I hear far more songs being made that sound similar to Kahyree production than I hear songs that sound similar to Primo production.

• not saying these are the best of the best, but definitely in the running.

in terms of layering, these two are pretty great achievements:

there are so many others worth mentioning, but in terms of layering of samples those are two of my favorites.

As O-dub mentioned, this is too broad. Nobody even mentioned Low End Theory or Midnight Marauders. We're talking about the nineties, which includes the peak years of 90-94. What about Breaking Atoms? What about...

this could go on forever.

•  

the beats on this album are indeed ridiculous. the backlash against 90's-era squeeky voiced rap (particularly the W. Coast variety) has caused this album to get far less love than it deserves lately. particuarly on a record-collectro board, people gotta recognize there's some great sample-based beats on here.

• mannybolonemannybolone Los Angeles, CA 15,025 Posts
    clon away folks, but:

had me blazed with that hard panning isht and the album sounds cohesive. cohesive albums are always a sign to me of producer diligence.

Yeah but you'd put this ahead of "Low End Theory" or "Midnight Marauders"?

No.

• spelunkspelunk 3,400 Posts
    DID SOULSTRUT JUST IGNORE THAT SOMEONE POSTED A BECK ALBUM AS ONE OF THE "BEST PRODUCED RAP ALBUMS OF THE 90S"?

This must be remedied.

• I liked most of RZA's work at the time. It was a bit different than the by-the-numbers approach. Dunno about it being the most polished or meticulously pieced-together though. I mean, Goldie's "Inner City Life" stuff must have took an age to produce in terms of layers of beats.

I'd ride for...

i love how this album has the mood and sound of a hot summer (and liquid swords is the cold winter). then later on i read that rza did it intentionally and planned the release dates around the feel of the album.

• DJ_EnkiDJ_Enki 6,471 Posts
    not saying these are the best of the best, but definitely in the running.

in terms of layering, these two are pretty great achievements:

there are so many others worth mentioning, but in terms of layering of samples those are two of my favorites.

Yes and yes. I love the aesthetic of both those albums. Layering samples = yes, plaese!

Oh, also this one:

• I guess i should have split the decade in half now that i think about it, but this thread basically did what i wanted it to which was stir debate and see who rides for what. And i knew the chronic 2001 was coming out asap..

• DID SOULSTRUT JUST IGNORE THAT SOMEONE POSTED A BECK ALBUM AS ONE OF THE "BEST PRODUCED RAP ALBUMS OF THE 90S"?

This must be remedied.

• BsidesBsides 4,244 Posts
    DID SOULSTRUT JUST IGNORE THAT SOMEONE POSTED A BECK ALBUM AS ONE OF THE "BEST PRODUCED RAP ALBUMS OF THE 90S"?

This must be remedied.

nah, we'll leave that one alone.

theres so many different aesthetics that its really hard to just pick one style.

probably....

midnight marauders.
    OBFCL
    Life After Death
    chronic 2001.
    Doggystyle.
    fantastic vol. 2
    Atliens.

nah.. fuck it. mac mall it is.

• akoako https://soundcloud.com/a-ko 3,413 Posts

This must be remedied.

nah, we'll leave that one alone.

take the word "RAP" out of the original question and i'd definitely agree with him.

• macacamacaca 278 Posts
    no one mentioned this yet.

• jaysusjaysus 787 Posts
    clon away folks, but:

had me blazed with that hard panning isht and the album sounds cohesive. cohesive albums are always a sign to me of producer diligence.

Yeah but you'd put this ahead of "Low End Theory" or "Midnight Marauders"?

No.

See, my problem with Midnight Marauders is that my pressing is sooooo frickin quiet, I can't get the spectrum that i know is there, but yeah. Cosine.

Are all the Marauders vinyls quiet like that?

• Are all the Marauders vinyls quiet like that?

mine is def very low. they probably released a double vinyl reissue though, which would sound much better....

• pacmanpacman 1,113 Posts

Let the hatting commence.

• debardebar 215 Posts
    Has anyone mentioned Aquemini? That shit blew my mind when it came out.

• akoako https://soundcloud.com/a-ko 3,413 Posts

Let the hatting commence.

one things for sure, this is 235809 times better than "Reachin'"

• deejdeej 5,125 Posts

No question. How is this even up for debate? When this album dropped in 1999 it was a masterpiece of hip-hop/rap production. It was on some Quincy Jones and Morricone shit. You can't front. You should change the title of this thread to "Other than Dre's The Chronic 2001, what are the Best Produced Rap/HipHop Albums of the 90s?"

To claim that one album stands head and shoulders above is just silly to me.
    It's all about taste and their is always room for debate.

Damn straight it is silly. The chronic 2001 is silly and no other production on rap/hip-hop records from the 90s is seeing it! Have you ever sat down and listened to The Chronic 2001 start to finish on a REALLY nice sound system? The production on the album is incredible mayne. I'm talking about the mixing, the mastering, the sonic quality, the arrangements, the bass and guitar, the Scott Stortch keys, the way the drums hit, etc.... I will claim that this stands head and shoulders above all day. This shit is best produced, engineered, mixed, mastered, all dat. The first Nas album and the two Pete and CL albums are classics, but not on this same level of production. The Chronic 2001 is really on some symphonic epic soundtrack style.
    love the beats, might agree w/ it as an answer to the thread, but the 'mixing, the mastering' on this record is godawful.

• but the 'mixing, the mastering' on this record is godawful.

L

O

L

oh man, if only legndary producer Dr. Dre had had the one Deej in the studio to help him fix the levels, damn, that album coulda been a classic.

"godawful" indeed.

• deejdeej 5,125 Posts
    but the 'mixing, the mastering' on this record is godawful.

L

O

L

oh man, if only legndary producer Dr. Dre had had the one Deej in the studio to help him fix the levels, damn, that album coulda been a classic.

"godawful" indeed.

maybe if someone else tells you you can think on it smartass

do u trust thes?
    http://www.soulstrut.com/ubbthreads/show...e=0&fpart=6

its not like you cant tell just by listening to the damn thing

L

O

L

"godawful" indeed.

do u trust thes?

okay cool you were just biting something thes said. got it.

• deejdeej 5,125 Posts
    not at all, its just that a ref to that post is one of the first results if you google 'dre 2001 mastering'

• phongonephongone 1,652 Posts
    Chronic 2001 sounds pretty good on my bummy-ass stereo.

• mannybolonemannybolone Los Angeles, CA 15,025 Posts
    but the 'mixing, the mastering' on this record is godawful.

L

O

L

"godawful" indeed.

do u trust thes?

Weaksauce reply to a basic sonning.

• I'll Throw in ATCQ's Low end theory and duck for cover!

L

O

L

"godawful" indeed.

do u trust thes?

Weaksauce reply to a basic sonning.

lol dude let's not pretend that Chronic 2001's having been mixed/mastered "godawfully" is some sort of obvious fact that I wasn't up on. I defer to thes because he knows what he's talking about. deej clearly latched onto this little slice of record knowledge and tried to pass it off as his own. I somehow doubt he (or anyone else on the Strut - yourself included perhaps) would've suggested that the Chronic 2001 had been mixed/mastered "godawfully" had thes not argued this in a previous thread.

besides this thread isn't really about mixing and mastering is it? it's about "production," and judging from the responses thus far "production" has been largely assumed to mean the quality of the beats.

• Big- Ready To Die and...

Black Moon- Enta Da Stage...don't know if it was cuz it was on one vinyl but that shit was grimmee as fuck....excellent piece of work for that time period....Beatminerz

• jaymackjaymack 5,199 Posts
    Black Moon- Enta Da Stage

hwll nah.
    shits grimy as hell.
    like 36 chambers the productions is horrible, but thats one of the enduring qualities of said lps.