Best Produced Rap/HipHop Albums of the 90s?

thedailyhustlethedailyhustle 151 Posts
edited May 2018 in Music Talk
What are yall's thoughts on the best produced(beat wise) rap/hip-hop albums of the Nineties?

Comments

• BrianBrian 7,618 Posts

• waxjunkywaxjunky 1,850 Posts
    I enjoy "The Main Ingredeient" as well as Dr. Dre's efforts.

• cpeetzcpeetz 2,112 Posts
    I enjoy "The Main Ingredeient" as well as Dr. Dre's efforts.

Good call!

I'lI go out on a limb here and say:

Three of the very best ever at the top of their game IMHO.

• probably my two favorite production albums from the 90's. it also helps that the rhymes are good too. not sure what SoulStrut thinks of either but i'll post shit up anyway.

• Big_ChanBig_Chan 5,088 Posts

No question. How is this even up for debate? When this album dropped in 1999 it was a masterpiece of hip-hop/rap production. It was on some Quincy Jones and Morricone shit. You can't front. You should change the title of this thread to "Other than Dre's The Chronic 2001, what are the Best Produced Rap/HipHop Albums of the 90s?"

• cpeetzcpeetz 2,112 Posts

No question. How is this even up for debate? When this album dropped in 1999 it was a masterpiece of hip-hop/rap production. It was on some Quincy Jones and Morricone shit. You can't front. You should change the title of this thread to "Other than Dre's The Chronic 2001, what are the Best Produced Rap/HipHop Albums of the 90s?"

To claim that one album stands head and shoulders above is just silly to me.
    It's all about taste and their is always room for debate.

• Big_ChanBig_Chan 5,088 Posts

To claim that one album stands head and shoulders above is just silly to me.
    It's all about taste and their is always room for debate.

Damn straight it is silly. The chronic 2001 is silly and no other production on rap/hip-hop records from the 90s is seeing it! Have you ever sat down and listened to The Chronic 2001 start to finish on a REALLY nice sound system? The production on the album is incredible mayne. I'm talking about the mixing, the mastering, the sonic quality, the arrangements, the bass and guitar, the Scott Stortch keys, the way the drums hit, etc.... I will claim that this stands head and shoulders above all day. This shit is best produced, engineered, mixed, mastered, all dat. The first Nas album and the two Pete and CL albums are classics, but not on this same level of production. The Chronic 2001 is really on some symphonic epic soundtrack style.

• theory9theory9 1,128 Posts
    The "Bomb Squad" tapes--Ice Cube Amerikkka's Most Wanted and Fear of a Black Planet. Enter the 36 Chambers. Ready to Die. The Infamous. Niggaz4Life. Only Built 4 Cuban Linx. Mr. Scarface is Back. Low End Theory.

• izm707izm707 1,107 Posts
    Ahem, somebody needs to stop riding Dre's d*ck (No it's not a soulstrut personal name).
    Although he could win the title easily, there's plenty, no scratch that, plethora of albums from the 90's as solid as Dre's LP. To each his own regardless to the winner...We can at least allow 20 LPs on the same scale. Like when i'm in car, i'm not feeling PR&CL. But Mecca & the Soul Brother will always be one of my fav. It reminds me of my early days. Sony Walkman, Cross Colors and Kani, loads of shit. Dre's 2001 don't remind me shit but clubs and wannabe gansgtas. I'd still rather bump Chronic 2001 in my ride instead of, let's say, Organized Konfusion, which is one of my fav too. Nas, it's another story. Nas=New York, like Dre=LA. There's room for all of them. But i guess sucha topic is supposed to spark such a debate.

And the technical aspect dont count. PROOF. If i had to vote for one LP right now. I would say Blackmoon, Enta Da stage. Bad mixing, bad mastering, bad pressing, bad whatever, but still the sweetest to my ears. I remember the lyrics by heart til this day. And i can name all the loops and all the drumbreaks like i did it myself. Art Ensemble of Chicago included!!!!! i know...lol.

• No question. How is this even up for debate? When this album dropped in 1999 it was a masterpiece of hip-hop/rap production. It was on some Quincy Jones and Morricone shit. You can't front. You should change the title of this thread to "Other than Dre's The Chronic 2001, what are the Best Produced Rap/HipHop Albums of the 90s?"

"Quincy Jones and Morricone"??? Bollocks! There's plenty of 90s LPs to piss all over it. It's also a little known fact that Dre doesn't produce all he puts his name to. Out of respect I wont name names but don't go sucking his cock when he's paying for others beats and claiming them as his own. And don't get me started on his nasally scrawny runt of an mc, snoop dog...

• izm707izm707 1,107 Posts
    damn son...there's a huge difference between riding someon's dick and sucking someone's cock...you went too far. Expect some backlash...

• alieNDNalieNDN 2,181 Posts
    cypress hills self titled should definitely get some recognition as one of the best, such a fresh unique sound when it came out.

• JuniorJunior 4,853 Posts

"Quincy Jones and Morricone"??? Bollocks! There's plenty of 90s LPs to piss all over it. It's also a little known fact that Dre doesn't produce all he puts his name to. Out of respect I wont name names but don't go sucking his cock when he's paying for others beats and claiming them as his own. And don't get me started on his nasally scrawny runt of an mc, snoop dog...

I have never heard of this rumour that Dre has some kind of production team working for him! Thank god this isn't a common occurrence in the field of hip hop production or lord knows what would happen. Please school us with more nuggets of knowledge.

• waxjunkywaxjunky 1,850 Posts
    cypress hills self titled should definitely get some recognition as one of the best, such a fresh unique sound when it came out.

Their best effort, and still a favorite of mine.

• DuderonomyDuderonomy Haut de la Garenne 7,778 Posts
    I never get bored of the Dust Brothers in their prime:

Odelay

and have recently been feeling this

Devil's Haircut

for the amazing "Dark & Lovely" remix by the Dust Brothers. The drums are tougher, there's some great descending minor chords and a bit of operatic singing... the remix changes the mood, and I find this version sticks with me days after I've heard it. Also good to have a loud 12" pressing rather than playing quieter LP cuts!

• BLAM!

BLAM!

BLAM!

there's probably 7 or so more albums i can list, but on the real when you somehow listen to these (or songs that are on em) multiple times throughout the week, that should tell you something.

• GropeGrope 2,970 Posts
    I say Puff Daddy... or 2Pac. Tight productions. Really phat!

• doomdoom 305 Posts
    Artifacts - Between a rock and a hard place
    Main Source - Breaking atoms
    Diamond D - Stunts blunts and hiphop

• phongonephongone 1,652 Posts
    Ahem, somebody needs to stop riding Dre's d*ck (No it's not a soulstrut personal name).
    Although he could win the title easily, there's plenty, no scratch that, plethora of albums from the 90's as solid as Dre's LP. To each his own regardless to the winner...We can at least allow 20 LPs on the same scale. Like when i'm in car, i'm not feeling PR&CL. But Mecca & the Soul Brother will always be one of my fav. It reminds me of my early days. Sony Walkman, Cross Colors and Kani, loads of shit. Dre don't remind me shit but clubs and wannabe gansgtas. I'd still rather bump Chronic 2001 in my ride insead of, let's say, Organized Konfusion, which is one of my fav too. Nas, it's another story. Nas=New York, like Dre=LA. There's room for all of them. But i guess sucha topic is supposed to spark such a debate.

And the technical aspect dont count. PROOF. If i had to vote for one LP right now. I would say Blackmoon, Enta Da stage. Bad mixing, bad mastering, bad pressing, bad whatever, but still the sweetest to my ears. I remember the lyrics by heart til this day. And i can name all the loops and all the drumbreaks like i did it myself. Art Ensemble of Chicago included!!!!! i know...lol.

What do you mean "technical aspect" don't count? What are you the arbiter of rap production? You mad cuz no one's mentioned MC Solaar? Eat a dick confit, you fronch f*ck.

• HarveyCanalHarveyCanal "a distraction from my main thesis." 13,234 Posts

• mannybolonemannybolone Los Angeles, CA 15,025 Posts
    I think we need to divide the decade in half.
    Duderonomy

• DJ_EnkiDJ_Enki 6,471 Posts

Their best effort, and still a favorite of mine.

Yes.

Gotta mention Gangstarr as well, plus De La Soul Is Dead and Buhloone Mindstate. Cube's shit, obviously. And I really like the sound achieved on Muddy Waters.

• LOL. I love this album but some of the production is ridiculously dated.

Where's Noz to tell us that Studio Ton>Pete Rock!

• mannybolonemannybolone Los Angeles, CA 15,025 Posts

Absolutely. I was listening to this again the other month and was just blown away by what Muggs was doing.

• no one rides for lil dap? i always liked that dude, not really the greatest but someting about his voice and cadence was always very dope to me.... 

• and while you're bullshitting....

Slum Village Fantastic Vol 2

• phongonephongone 1,652 Posts
    Any album with Bob Power on it.

• jaysusjaysus 787 Posts
    clon away folks, but:

had me blazed with that hard panning isht and the album sounds cohesive. cohesive albums are always a sign to me of producer diligence.

• JimsterJimster Cruffiton.etsy.com 6,885 Posts
    I liked most of RZA's work at the time. It was a bit different than the by-the-numbers approach. Dunno about it being the most polished or meticulously pieced-together though. I mean, Goldie's "Inner City Life" stuff must have took an age to produce in terms of layers of beats.

I'd ride for...