Burial - Untrue (Dubstep Related)

kicks79kicks79 1,333 Posts
edited February 2008 in Strut Central
I picked up this album a few weeks back based on the reccomendation of a friend. Not knowing a whole lot about dubstep i didn't know what to expect. Suffice to say that it has been on constant repeat on my stereo. The music is strangely dark yet upfliting. Ghostly vocals and filtered synths are carried along by hollowed out drum patterns and dub inspired sub bass drones. I've never really heard anything like this before.Other names to look out for are Kode 9 and Skream.Any dubstep heads on the board? Ghost Hardware

Comments

• Check out the other Burial album, personally i prefer it to Untrue...

• Check out the other Burial album, personally i prefer it to Untrue...

Yeah, but it's still facking brilliant. Proper "where did this come from?" music that doesn't come around that often. And nothing beats it on a rainy day!

• kicks79kicks79 1,333 Posts
    I picked up the first one the other day. I really like untrue better to be honest. Althought they are both dope albums.

• deejdeej 5,125 Posts
    trip hop

• trip hop

No. Dubstep.

• deejdeej 5,125 Posts
    trip hop

No. Dubstep.
    2008 trip hop

• trip hop

No. Dubstep.
    2008 trip hop

You're pretty far off the mark with this one, go to a dubstep night and you'll see that there's more to it than this Burial album, bass heavy and people actually dance to it as opposed to "trip hop".

• I picked this up a couple of months back and it has god some serious play. There hasn't been much dubstep that has come across my radar for years and years now (not that I've looked very hard), which is perhaps what makes this so refreshing.

It has been getting some serious airplay on the radio down here (well in Melbs at least). Hype hype hype.

• deejdeej 5,125 Posts
    trip hop

No. Dubstep.
    2008 trip hop

You're pretty far off the mark with this one, go to a dubstep night and you'll see that there's more to it than this Burial album, bass heavy and people actually dance to it as opposed to "trip hop".
    not talking about the genre per se, but i am talking about this album

coffee shop material

• kicks79kicks79 1,333 Posts
    i think its pretty simplistic to write it off as 2008's version of trip hop. all the drum patterns are different for starters. But to each their own...

• BrianBrian 7,618 Posts
    trip hop

No. Dubstep.
    2008 trip hop

not talking about the genre per se, but i am talking about this album

coffee shop material
    gotta agree with deej
    shit bored me to death. oh yay auto-tuned vocals, the same drums, and some random synth on every track. i do like some of doggie's bass though

• pjl2000xlpjl2000xl 1,795 Posts
    2008s DnB

• eliseelise 3,252 Posts

• jimeyjimey 279 Posts
    i think its pretty simplistic to write it off as 2008's version of trip hop. all the drum patterns are different for starters. But to each their own...

besides burial, skream, kode9 you should look out for benga

• mickalphabetmickalphabet deep inna majestic segue 374 Posts
    couple producers that are thinking outside the box....

Clouds, cotti, kode9, dj pinch, shakleton (or anything on skull disco), digital mystikz

all

• BsidesBsides 4,244 Posts
    ehhh, i gave it a real shot too.

but that track you posted is the best one, and this dude is the king of dubstep.

and all that amounts to is that the genre doesnt have a whole lot to offer.

• i've had some friends who've tried to get me into it. i wasn't feeling the burial album all that much, and most of the dubstep producers don't really hit me. although Boxcutter on Planet-Mu i really dig. his stuff is way beyond merely the half time, synthetic sounding Augustus Pablo dubstep sound even though he's promoted as a dubstep artist...

recommend.

• BsidesBsides 4,244 Posts
    i've had some friends who've tried to get me into it. i wasn't feeling the burial album all that much, and most of the dubstep producers don't really hit me. although Boxcutter on Planet-Mu i really dig. his stuff is way beyond merely the half time, synthetic sounding Augustus Pablo dubstep sound even though he's promoted as a dubstep artist...

recommend.

ill check for it.

• I listened through this once. 2008 trip hop is exactly what I was thinking. Not bad per se, but I'm unlikely to return to it ever again.

• MjukisMjukis 1,675 Posts
    ehhh, i gave it a real shot too.

but that track you posted is the best one, and this dude is the king of dubstep.

and all that amounts to is that the genre doesnt have a whole lot to offer.

To me, Burial is NOT the king of dubstep. Skream is. Burial isn't what I want from dubstep, I don't understand the hype. I'll side with the people calling "triphop" and "coffeeshop" on that one. Skreams "Midnight Request Line" on a loud, bassheavy system though... That's something else.