Herne, Germany

volumenvolumen 2,532 Posts
edited February 2008 in Strut Central
I'll be in Northern Germany in June and would love any advise on clubs, record stores, and places to eat. My girl likes Dance, Techno and Hip Hop as far as clubs go.I like any and all records.We both like nice places to eat. No big slabs of meat and beer please.Thanks!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Comments

• piedpiperpiedpiper 1,279 Posts
    Herne? WTF are you doing in HERNE ??? Don??t expect much there and try to leave Herne as often and as soon as possible. I would be surprised about a record shop over there and the night life is certainly limited. However, it??s not that far to travel to places like Hamburg or Cologne by train.

• GropeGrope 2,970 Posts
    d??sseldorf has some nice record stores (go and ask carsten at flipside). the other d??sseldorf record store always has the most amazing collection at the ARC in utrecht. big European records for days!!! make sure to get out of herne

many big cities around herne, so it's not like you can't go record shopping.
    typical food: curry-wurst and fries with mayo

there are some people from that area selling great krautrock records on eBay, but i doubt they have stores. must be private dealers. check the yellow pages (--> cd's und schallplatten - go for "2nd hand schallplatten" or "an- und verkauf von schallplatten").

• nzshadownzshadow 5,518 Posts
    Herne? WTF are you doing in HERNE ??? Don??t expect much there and try to leave Herne as often and as soon as possible.

Ouch.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Herne,_Germany

I googled Herne and found this guy:

http://www.blogger.com/profile/06725236652946787198

You need to hang out with him, hes got Herne on lock. (and records, peep the lower left corner)

Im serious, you should hang with big Dan, hes in a metal band and his email handle is 'maidenfreak'

If you can get a picture with Dan the man i will give you records.

Its on man...

The soulstrut Dan the R2D2 maidenfreak challenge 2008.

rise to the challenge Volumen, rise to the challenge.

• GropeGrope 2,970 Posts
    Herne? WTF are you doing in HERNE ??? Don??t expect much there and try to leave Herne as often and as soon as possible. I would be surprised about a record shop over there and the night life is certainly limited. However, it??s not that far to travel to places like Hamburg or Cologne by train.

(spoiled little kid from berlin talking)

• waxjunkywaxjunky 1,850 Posts

Those are clearly different pressings of raer Iron Maiden records, and nothing more. Well, maybe also some John Williams "Cantina Band" steez.

• nzshadownzshadow 5,518 Posts

Those are clearly different pressings of raer Iron Maiden records, and nothing more. Well, maybe also some John Williams "Cantina Band" steez.

You dare hate on Dan?

His maiden collection alone will crush your dissent.

check the lightsabers on the wall...

Dan is strapped son...

• pointmanpointman 1,042 Posts
    No big slabs of meat and beer please.

How the hell are you going to Germany and going to say that?

Sausage and beer raer baby!

• GropeGrope 2,970 Posts

We both like nice places to eat. No big slabs of meat and beer please.

you should try to find a REAL turkish restaurant. not the kebap places. we have a proper turkish restaurant nearby and the food is delicious. doesn't have to do anything with kebap... totall diferent. lots of veggies and spices.

Really, I think I have spent enough time in small and medium German towns to rate Herne as - at least when it comes to nigh life, records and fancy food.

• GropeGrope 2,970 Posts

Really, I think I have spent enough time in small and medium German towns to rate Herne as - at least when it comes to nigh life, records and fancy food.

just kiddin'
    you're probably right about herne.

i cannot recommend cologne for record shopping. the place is

• jimeyjimey 279 Posts

i cannot recommend cologne for record shopping. the place is
    yes, it could be better

• volumenvolumen 2,532 Posts
    My girlfriend has a conference there so that's the only reason we are in that town, and yes we plan on leaving as soon as the conference is over! It's a once in a lifetime chance for us to get a free plane ticket to Europe so we're taking it.

Thanks for the info. We will most likely go to Berlin and then maybe Paris and Barcelona by train. We're stil putting things together.

BTW how do you pronounce Herne?

I will try to find Iron Jedi Raer!

Berlin

• My girlfriend has a conference there so that's the only reason we are in that town, and yes we plan on leaving as soon as the conference is over! It's a once in a lifetime chance for us to get a free plane ticket to Europe so we're taking it.

I actually lived in Herne as an exchange student in the 90s. It's a nice little town, I'm surprised there's even a conference there. But when I lived there I was at the Bahnhof at 7AM every Saturday morning, ready to get out.

One good thing about the town is that the German branch of Rough Trade distribution is out in the suburbs. I got an internship there as a teenager - I'd ride my bike to work every day, raid the promo stacks, and sit around translating press kits.

If you want a day trip in the region, the Grugapark in Essen is cool.

• BTW how do you pronounce Herne?

Hair-nuh