That 3rd Jungle Brothers Album

13»

Comments

• DocMcCoyDocMcCoy "Go and laugh in your own country!" 5,913 Posts
    I reckon that "Stakes Is High" is arguably De La's best album

I must respectfully disagree.

Hence the qualifier "arguably". I know a lot of people will disagree, but I think they got better with each of those first four albums. They didn't repeat themselves either.

how old were u when 3ft High came out?

Late 20's.

I love De La, and that record was a real trip when it came out, but when someone tells me that it's their favourite De La album, I'll usually ask them if they ever heard any of the later ones.

Sometimes they'll say they heard the second and liked it, but didn't think it was as good as 3ft High.

Occasionally they'll say they bought Buhloone Mindstate too, but thought it was kinda boring.

Most of the time they say no, they liked the odd single but never really bothered with the albums after 3ft High.

3ft High has some classic moments, but I haven't listened to it end-to-end for a long, long time. I listen to the three subsequent ones much more often.

• I agree with what Doc's saying about Stakes is High, especially about their disillusionment/disappointment with the (then) current state of hip-hop, which really resonated with me at the time. I haven't listened to it in a while, to be honest, so I'll have to revisit it and see how it sounds 12 years (!) later.

Before Faux derided it, I'd never thought of it as "angry old man rap," but that's a valid assessment, too. I guess I was an angry young man then. Now I'm old and happy--funny how that turned out.

• batmonbatmon 27,574 Posts

Hence the qualifier "arguably". I know a lot of people will disagree, but I think they got better with each of those first four albums. They didn't repeat themselves either.

I really don't think this album holds up.

Important/groundbreaking? Yes.

Listenable in 2008? Not so much.

Th3e whole "Best" thing is bullshit.

One can say that De La really matured by Stakes but to place it ahead of the previous three is crazy IMO. I like Stakes but I dont see myuself tellin anyone if they need a De La album, Stakes is the only one u need and the first u should cop.

• DJ_EnkiDJ_Enki 6,471 Posts
    3ft High has some classic moments, but I haven't listened to it end-to-end for a long, long time.

I actually did for the first time in a while not too long ago. The humor/sensibility of it hasn't aged well, but there are some fan-Frickin'-tastic songs on there. Plus...those beats are

• DocMcCoyDocMcCoy "Go and laugh in your own country!" 5,913 Posts

I really don't think this album holds up.

Important/groundbreaking? Yes.

Listenable in 2008? Not so much.

Th3e whole "Best" thing is bullshit.

One can say that De La really matured by Stakes but to place it ahead of the previous three is crazy IMO. I like Stakes but I dont see myuself tellin anyone if they need a De La album, Stakes is the only one u need and the first u should cop.

I'm cool with that. Personally, I'd never steer anyone in the direction of "Stakes" before any of the earlier ones, even if I do think it's somewhat slept on - it's purely a matter of my personal taste. I just like the way they developed as artists, and particularly the way that development manifested itself on "Stakes" - at the time, nobody really wanted to hear that shit from them or anyone else for that matter, and the sales probably bore that out, but they went ahead and said it anyway. I always admired that. With De La, you heard 'em grow up on record in a way you don't usually hear with rap acts. Anyway, I like all De La's albums, apart from maybe "AOI: Bionix", and even that doesn't suck irredeemably; it's just substandard.

I should probably give "3 Feet High" a run-out again, though, if only for nostalgia's sake.

• batmonbatmon 27,574 Posts

Late 20's.

I love De La, and that record was a real trip when it came out, but when someone tells me that it's their favourite De La album, I'll usually ask them if they ever heard any of the later ones.

Sometimes they'll say they heard the second and liked it, but didn't think it was as good as 3ft High.

Occasionally they'll say they bought Buhloone Mindstate too, but thought it was kinda boring.

Most of the time they say no, they liked the odd single but never really bothered with the albums after 3ft High.

3ft High has some classic moments, but I haven't listened to it end-to-end for a long, long time. I listen to the three subsequent ones much more often.

I used to hear that De La Is Dead was a popular pick.

• Jonny_PaycheckJonny_Paycheck 17,825 Posts
    !!!

• Options
    I Love this album. Good Lookin' Out is my shit.

• noznoz 3,625 Posts

They chatted quietly taking turns talking incessantly in great detail about everything necessary to convince themselves that they wanted this to happen. "Ok how fast can we get to know each other? Hurry up tell me more about yourself!", she said. They were so much alike they were flabbergasted. I turned myself literally into the fly on the wall and kept trying to put a 'bug' in my twin brothers ear. Even thought they got along so easily I was a bit concerned that he would mess things up. Twin sister? It hasn't come out till now that I have a twin brother because he's always dressed and looks like a woman. It used to be embarrassing to be accused for his eccentricities. "Are you ok with me being a man even though I look like a woman?", he asked cautiously. "No, I'm bisexual but I can't tell if like you because your a man or because you look like a beautiful woman. Your confusing me in a good way", she said in a quivering voice." I slapped my wings in grief and disbelief. How come he looks like that and meet the most sexually open-minded woman and all I attract is the inexperienced and an occasional groupie of his. But all I hear when that happens is: "You know who you look like?" says the dumb bitch who doesn't know he's my brother). "No, who?" says me. "You look like that famous celebrity Roxanne if she was a he", says she. The check comes she pays it and they rush out for a cab fondling each other like two horny teenagers. I land on the windshield narrowly escaping the wipers. Just then the driver rolled his window down and made it possible for me to fly into the front seat. She's in the backseat with her hand between his legs and her lips wrapped around his and he's looking like a bitch with a bulge between his legs the size of a banana. Minutes later they're on the East side of Manhattan stumbling pass the doorman down the corridor onto the elevator. "Now you're sure you're a man? I mean that's isn't a balloon stuffed with cotton in between your legs is it?, she questioned him nervously. "Are you in the mood for some pussycock novelty? he asked creepily. She just chuckled naively as they ripped each others clothes at the front door. "I have a bright idea!" "Let's dress you up as a gladiator so you can beat me with you pussycock!" she shouted excitedly. They fucked like slaves to their own nervous impulses; their pelvic bones slamming together like an overloaded washer and dryer on the highest spin cycle. Pussycock , heads and tails!

• Lucious_FoxLucious_Fox 2,479 Posts
    What The FOCK???

inner voice...."im feelin it".....inner voice