Isle of Man (WTFR)

KineticKinetic 3,739 Posts
edited February 2008 in Strut Central
Where the hell is 'Isle of Man'? I guy just ordered something from me on gemm and he states 'Isle of Man' as the country he lives in!Geographically

Comments

• JustAliceJustAlice 1,308 Posts

It doesn't matter, Even if it sounds like something out of the Twilight Zone, they still have a tight flag!

• It's part of the UK (or at least a dependency of it) - It's island between the UK mainland and Ireland.

edit: more specifically here: http://maps.google.com.au/maps?f=q&h...mp;z=6&om=0

• PunditPundit 438 Posts
    don't they have some psycho motorbike race every year where at least one person dies...?

edit:Manx Grand Prix

• JimsterJimster Cruffiton.etsy.com 6,893 Posts
    The roads outside of the towns have no speed limits. Which does wonders for tourism and the TT Weekend is nuts. It's also a tax-haven if you want to leave the UK to dodge the taxman. A local boy-done-good ( )lives there and described it as "Alcatraz with pubs"...

• Ironically, the isle of Man only repealed the criminalistion of man-love in 1992

• i spent Xmas there many years ago when I was on a rugby tour of the UK. Quite a beautiful windswept place.They did have a few weird customs, one of them was that it was taboo to say "RAT" anywhere on the Isle of Man you could seriously get yourself beaten up in a pub for uttering the word which the locals substituted with "long Tail". I dont know if it applied to ratatouille ar ratchet though. Strange custom

• i spent Xmas there many years ago when I was on a rugby tour of the UK. Quite a beautiful windswept place.They did have a few weird customs, one of them was that it was taboo to say "RAT" anywhere on the Isle of Man you could seriously get yourself beaten up in a pub for uttering the word which the locals substituted with "long Tail". I dont know if it applied to ratatouille ar ratchet though. Strange custom

According to Wikipedia, the "origins of this superstition date to sea-taboos, where certain words and practices were not allowed to be mentioned aboard ship, for fear of attracting bad luck (or worse, bad weather)."

Unlucky bugger.

• skelskel You can't cheat karma 5,033 Posts
    I do believe they have the world's oldest surviving parliament

more

• LaserWolfLaserWolf Portland Oregon 11,517 Posts
    You may adress the package to Isle Of Man, or Isle Of Man (Great Briton). I would use the later.

It is course the site of a famous rock festival. Spinal Tap gave it a nod in one of the funnier one liners from the movie.

• (Great Briton).

I would say Great Britain[/b] unless this dude you're mailing to is just an all-around great guy.

• OkemOkem 4,617 Posts
    (You may adress the package to Isle Of Man, or Isle Of Man (Great Briton). I would use the later.

It is course the site of a famous rock festival. Spinal Tap gave it a nod in one of the funnier one liners from the movie.

I would say Great Britain[/b] unless this dude you're mailing to is just an all-around great guy.

Yes, and also the rock festival is on the Isle of Wight. (Which is why it's funny that Tap say Isle Of Man - it kinda has an inbred reputation)

• PABLOPABLO 1,921 Posts
    Also origin of the Manx cat (those cats that naturally don't possess a tail).
    Ma Dukes had a couple of these.

(You may adress the package to Isle Of Man, or Isle Of Man (Great Briton). I would use the later.

Yes, and also the rock festival is on the Isle of Wight. (Which is why it's funny that Tap say Isle Of Man - it kinda has an inbred reputation)

I got everything wrong. Spinal Tap says Isle Of Lucy, (I Love Lucy) when you are expecting them to say Isle Of Man, or if you are me Isle Of Wright.

• Also home of the four-horned Manx ram.

• KineticKinetic 3,739 Posts
    You may adress the package to Isle Of Man, or Isle Of Man (Great Briton). I would use the later.

I will also use the correct spelling version of the latter!

Thanks for the georgraphy lesson peoples!

• major knowledge dropped in this one.

Also home of the four-horned Manx ram.

I was ready to call bogus and compare this beast to a jackalope. But this seems to be legit. Perhaps this is too:

• mickalphabetmickalphabet deep inna majestic segue 374 Posts
    Ironically, the isle of Man only repealed the criminalistion of man-love in 1992

i was there once (not the man love bit, the island), its strange. i suspect it is run by and full of freemasons

What's not to like about this place?

A windswept taxhaven run by super-democratic Viking Manx man-love repealers, with a baller annual death race, where there are no speed limits, a tight flag and crazy, no-tail, bizarrely-horned animals

That's my summer holiday chosen then

All we have to do now is get Kinetic to test the waters by writing 'Rat' in big block capitals all over the back of the package and report back on the outcome

• A windswept taxhaven run by super-democratic Viking Manx man-love repealers, with a baller annual death race, where there are no speed limits, a tight flag and crazy, no-tail, bizarrely-horned animals

ISLE OF WICKER MAN

• TabaskoTabasko 1,357 Posts
    and, these guys are from the Isle of Man:

• I also believe its a tax shelter so a lot of businesses incorporate there, and people are always hiding their laundered money in bank accounts there.

• FlomotionFlomotion 2,390 Posts

Mr Grimsdale,

• bassiebassie 11,710 Posts
    A windswept taxhaven run by super-democratic Viking Manx man-love repealers, with a baller annual death race, where there are no speed limits, a tight flag and crazy, no-tail, bizarrely-horned animals

ISLE OF WICKER MAN

Isle of Wight

ISLE OF WICKER MAN

Isle of Wight

er.....
    the post alludes to the cult Brit horror film 'The Wicker Man' in which wierd inhabitants of a Scottish island lure an over-acting Edward Woodward to a ritualistic death
    Looks like the Isle of Man could easily be confused with Summer Isle...
    but not with the Isle of Wight, a twee little place of coloured sand, chav tourists and too much uphill.

Or were you being arch?

• bassiebassie 11,710 Posts

ISLE OF WICKER MAN

Isle of Wight

er.....
    the post alludes to the cult Brit horror film 'The Wicker Man' in which wierd inhabitants of a Scottish island lure an over-acting Edward Woodward to a ritualistic death
    Looks like the Isle of Man could easily be confused with Summer Isle...
    but not with the Isle of Wight, a twee little place of coloured sand, chav tourists and too much uphill.

Or were you being arch?

I know what he was talking about - and I was wrong, it is Isle of Whithorn they did shooting on, not Isle of Wight. The guy's name is Lord Summerisle, I guess their reference to the Summer Isles. Having never been to any of these places, I do not know the colour of the sand.

Not being arch - just confused over isles!

• DB_CooperDB_Cooper Manhatin' 7,823 Posts
    a twee little place of coloured sand, chav tourists and too much uphill.

Or were you being arch?

RAD[/b]. I love British phrasing.

• JimsterJimster Cruffiton.etsy.com 6,893 Posts
    If you search youtube for "Isle of Man TT Laps" or such, you will get a pretty good view of it. The fastest riders are lapping the 37 mile course at an *average* of 125 mph. On public roads, though residential streets.

Deaths are certain.

• mickalphabetmickalphabet deep inna majestic segue 374 Posts