Trend Strut (Plaid Related)

FYBSFYBS 271 Posts
edited February 2008 in Strut Central
Every day in Philly, I see at least five people rocking this right now. From Jackets to hoodies to skirts. I'm not really feeling it. Somebody drop the knowledge on the Blue & Black Plaid

Comments

• ElectrodeElectrode Los Angeles 3,080 Posts
    I hope that doesn't catch on here on the West Coast or else there is going to be an accidental turf war between the crips and this guy...

• yes its the grunge revival. i dont have the "right" patterns but im glad looking like a bum is back in vogue.

• alieNDNalieNDN 2,181 Posts
    plaid can never be played!

these shoes always get compliments. props to batmon.

• i believe that is gingham which is like the white collar plaid

• Plaid is the new all over print hoodie. I think it's a good look if it's clean. I don't think it's so much of a grunge fallback, as it is, rebelling against all the old streetwear trends that hit the suburbs and flea markets last year.

• alieNDNalieNDN 2,181 Posts
    i believe that is gingham which is like the white collar plaid

i had to google that cause i thought u were joking!

• FYBSFYBS 271 Posts
    Plaid is the new all over print hoodie. I think it's a good look if it's clean. I don't think it's so much of a grunge fallback, as it is, rebelling against all the old streetwear trends that hit the suburbs and flea markets last year.

I'm guessing you're meaning this:

yeah. I guess plaid isn't quite as obnoxious.

• BsidesBsides 4,244 Posts
    Plaid is the new all over print hoodie. I think it's a good look if it's clean. I don't think it's so much of a grunge fallback, as it is, rebelling against all the old streetwear trends that hit the suburbs and flea markets last year.

Its getting pretty close. Especially when you go to a party and every dude is wearing some kind of plaid shit. Lumberjacks, all over-plaid hoodies, matching plaid vans.

I give it another 3-6 months before its universally played out.

• FYBSFYBS 271 Posts
    While we're on the subject of slip on vans, I saw these on the internet the other day. They're a custom pair. I can only imagine the legal battle that would ensue over Vans actually doing this, but how much of a travesty is it to slap a jordan logo on these shits? I mean, they're kinda cool looking, but....

I don't know. Seems a little to me.

• deejdeej 5,125 Posts

Its getting pretty close. Especially when you go to a party and every dude is wearing some kind of plaid shit. Lumberjacks, all over-plaid hoodies, matching plaid vans.

I give it another 3-6 months before its universally played out.

'TRENDS' CONTINUING TO BE POPULAR FOR A SHORT TIME, THEN BECOME UNPOPULAR

MORE AT ELEVEN

• mannybolonemannybolone Los Angeles, CA 15,025 Posts
    Plaid is the new all over print hoodie.

Uh...since when exactly when has plaid ever been OUT of fashion? I can't speak for the street fashion styles around Philly but in general, "plaid" isn't exactly a trend anymore than "argyle" or "tweed" is.

The return of grunge?

Uh,

Uh...since when exactly when has plaid ever been OUT of fashion? I can't speak for the street fashion styles around Philly but in general, "plaid" isn't exactly a trend anymore than "argyle" or "tweed" is.

The return of grunge?

Uh,

LOL, no odub, plaid is big with the streetwear kids right now.

The plaid were discussing here is of the 400 dollar japanese variety. I guess its a little less obnoxious in that you can get a shirt that looks exactly the same from walmart, and i dont think my grandpa will be throwing away all his work shirts after it goes out of vougue, but its definitely the in thing at this moment.

• NateBizzoNateBizzo 2,328 Posts
    Plaid is here to stay son.

I've been supporting this local upstart for a while. They have some ill shit.

http://www.vermontflannel.com/

The return of grunge?

Uh,

The plaid were discussing here is of the 400 dollar japanese variety. I guess its a little less obnoxious in that you can get a shirt that looks exactly the same from walmart, and i dont think my grandpa will be throwing away all his work shirts after it goes out of vougue, but its definitely the in thing at this moment.

Naw, I get that. But i'm saying - "all print hoodies" and "plaid" aren't similar kinds of fashion trends. The latter is something that street kids have adapted from what's commonly found existing in the clothing world. Were all print hoodies some shit that you could have found in a Walmart - to use your example - 10 years ago?

In any case, as someone noted earlier, plaid patterns and sneakers (Vans in particular) have been around forever.

• red and black lumber jack, with the hat to match.

• DelayDelay 4,530 Posts
    dudes. it's ok to want to look good and shit, but clothes are made to be worn, not talked about. I mean if you like someones shoes, say "nice shoes," and keep it movin. dudes discussing fashion is nagl, and do it on the web is just like gross.

• FYBSFYBS 271 Posts

The return of grunge?

Uh,

Naw, I get that. But i'm saying - "all print hoodies" and "plaid" aren't similar kinds of fashion trends. The latter is something that street kids have adapted from what's commonly found existing in the clothing world. Were all print hoodies some shit that you could have found in a Walmart - to use your example - 10 years ago?

In any case, as someone noted earlier, plaid patterns and sneakers (Vans in particular) have been around forever.

Of course they have, as have the argyle and tweed that was mentioned earlier, however there definitely is a current obsession with the plaid (especially the blue and black shown above) with the current street fashion crowd. Just as how houndstooth had its resurgence in the last few years. I feel your analogy between the hoodies and wal-mart, but that wasn't a comparison I made, that was listed by someone else, I'm just talking about the re-appropriation of shipping yard plaid to the fashion elite. Trucker hats of 2008 (as I remember someone saying about tight pants in a different thread)

• drewnicedrewnice 5,465 Posts
    Plaid is here to stay son.

I've been supporting this local upstart for a while. They have some ill shit.

http://www.vermontflannel.com/

dudes. it's ok to want to look good and shit, but clothes are made to be worn, not talked about. I mean if you like someones shoes, say "nice shoes," and keep it movin. dudes discussing fashion is nagl, and do it on the web is just like gross.

Oh Delay, get in touch with your inner fashionista already!

• deejdeej 5,125 Posts
    homophobia vs. looking like a sucker

Naw son - he's just keeping it true to the Gangstarr Code of the Streets:

"All I did was give a motherfucker a pound, a compliment and I was out. Told him my name. Peace."

Is that like a fight club sort of thing?

"The first rule of street wear is that we dont talk about street wear. to do so would be gay."

lol, why cant we talk about clothes? records are made to be listened to, so stop talking about them too.

• Plaid is the new all over print hoodie.

The return of grunge?

Uh,

The plaid were discussing here is of the 400 dollar japanese variety.

Exactly. Here's one I sold for $209

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&rd=1&item=330193796884

Amazing.

The return of grunge?

Uh,

The plaid were discussing here is of the 400 dollar japanese variety.

good lord thats an ugly flannel. how much did you pay for it on fairfax?

• good lord thats an ugly flannel. how much did you pay for it on fairfax?

$110 I think, at Supreme.. I would never buy that for myself, but I knew I could flip it. It took a couple of days with a BIN.

• good lord thats an ugly flannel. how much did you pay for it on fairfax?

$110 I think, at Supreme.. I would never buy that for myself, but I knew I could flip it. It took a couple of days with a BIN.

I know a bunch of people up in New York who just resell clothes full time from this Supreme store at usually double or triple the original price. What's the big deal anyway?

Either way,

• cpeetzcpeetz 2,112 Posts

good lord thats an ugly flannel. how much did you pay for it on fairfax?

I know a bunch of people up in New York who just resell clothes full time from this Supreme store at usually double or triple the original price. What's the big deal anyway?

Either way,

Supreme's been the ??ber cool guy brand for years, huger than huge in Japan.
    I've been a fan for awhile, their more basic stuff is what I like.
    High quality, well crafted, nice details.
    It's only available at probably less than ten shops worldwide so...
    The formula goes limited+quality+big in Japan=$$$$$$$$$$$$!

• I know I'm a snob, but I really do think ya'll need to stop talking like you know things about fashion.

• cpeetzcpeetz 2,112 Posts
    I know I'm a snob, but I really do think ya'll need to stop talking like you know things about fashion.

I know what I know and like what I like.

What should we be talking about here?
    Comme des Gar??ons?
    Paul Smith?
    Vivienne Westwood?
    Marc Jacobs?

C'mon dude this is Soul Strut what do you expect?