Maryland are You Real???

The-gafflerThe-gaffler 2,190 Posts
edited January 2008 in Strut Central
Md. Lawmakers Attempt To Make Walking State Exercise Proposal Vetoed Once Before[/b]POSTED: 12:44 pm EST January 31, 2008UPDATED: 2:28 pm EST January 31, 2008ANNAPOLIS, Md. -- Maryland lawmakers are striding into an old controversy this term with a proposal to make walking the official state exercise -- even though the idea was vetoed once before.Maryland lawmakers gave walking an official designation in 2003 -- but then-Gov. Robert Ehrlich vetoed the idea, saying there was nothing about walking that is unique to Maryland."It serves no public purpose," Ehrlich wrote of the walking designation, even as he signed into law a bill making the thoroughbred Maryland's official horse. The veto was a setback for an elementary school in Montgomery County, where students proposed the designation, but lawmakers under a new Democratic governor say it's time to revisit the idea."He did not understand the importance of walking," said Sen. Verna Jones, D-Baltimore, who sponsored a walking bill introduced Thursday. "It's the most basic exercise. Everyone can do it."There's been a lot of talk these days about Maryland's state symbols. The state already has 21 state symbols, from the obvious (blue crabs and the Chesapeake Bay Retriever) to the curious (jousting and the shell of an extinct snail).A multilayered cake native to Smith Island is on the legislative menu for designation as the state dessert, and lawmakers are taking some ribbing from constituents over the proliferation of state symbols."There are lots more important, substantive issues that we take up down here, but symbols can be important, too," said Delegate Dan Morhaim, D-Baltimore County. "I know they become the butt of jokes, and I understand that, but this is a small, small part of what we do."Morhaim, a physician, added that he'd probably support making walking the state exercise."Walking is the easiest, safest and best exercise," Morhaim said with a chuckle. "I recommend it."The walking bill also has the backing of health advocates, who say rising obesity rates in Maryland make it a perfect time to give a state endorsement of exercise."Being overweight increases the risk of developing certain types of cancers," said Bonita Pennino, government relations director for the Maryland chapter of the American Cancer Society. Pennino conceded that some may see an official designation as useless, but she added, "It brings recognition. It gets the conversation going."Some lawmakers said Thursday that they're not sure walking should be on Maryland's list of symbols, though. Delegate Richard Sossi, a Republican from the Eastern Shore, said Maryland symbols should be things that speak to the state's character."Smith Island cake, that's a Maryland thing. Lacrosse, that's a Maryland thing. But walking?" he said, shaking his head. "It's like saying breathing is the state activity because everyone does it whether you want to or not."Jones, who goes walking around downtown Annapolis in the mornings before reporting to the Senate for work, said she's prepared for criticism over the state exercise idea. But she said she didn't understand why people oppose the designation."Why not have the state promote good health?" she asked. http://www.nbc4.com/news/15185676/detail.html
how do you do this said exercise? i must try. i've only been to annapolis like twice in my life, i plan to keep it that way too.discuss."It serves no public purpose" had me dyin though.

Comments

• pointmanpointman 1,042 Posts
    Send McNulty to investigate this so called... Walking.

• erewhonerewhon 1,123 Posts
    Maybe if the state claims walking now, it'll make it harder for corporations to copyright walking a few years down the road.

• Send McNulty to investigate this so called... Walking.

I think you need a walker to do this.

• DB_CooperDB_Cooper Manhatin' 7,823 Posts
    Psssh. Dudes been doin' this Texas for years.

• onetetonetet 1,754 Posts
    at least the damn smoking ban finally goes in effect tomorrow...

• uhhh oh......here we go!

eff the smoking ban. seriously, i'm all for health and welbeing (yeah coming from the fool who doesn't eat meat, but smokes & drinks) but when you encroach on the rights of someone's privately owned business like that, shit ain't cool. my boy owns a bar in little italy in b-more and he's got some very good points when it comes to things like the new smoking ban. let it be by choice of the establishments owner. onelove.

• onetetonetet 1,754 Posts
    uhhh oh......here we go!

eff the smoking ban. seriously, i'm all for health and welbeing (yeah coming from the fool who doesn't eat meat, but smokes & drinks) but when you encroach on the rights of someone's privately owned business like that, shit ain't cool. my boy owns a bar in little italy in b-more and he's got some very good points when it comes to things like the new smoking ban. let it be by choice of the establishments owner. onelove.

yeah, I strongly disagree with you, but we had this discussion on here a few months back...

http://www.soulstrut.com/ubbthreads/show...rue#Post1013899

• uhhh oh......here we go!

I don't buy the encroaching on private business stuff. By the same logic, banning a club from offering prostitution would be encroaching on private business.

Codes change. Don't cry.

• LaserWolfLaserWolf Portland Oregon 11,517 Posts

The veto was a setback for an elementary school in Montgomery County

Think of the Children!

Where I come from school kids find something that the state has not declared, like a state muffin. Then they choose a muffin (apple muffin) and go to the state capitol and lobby their representatives and watch the bill go through committee and get voted on.

I think a governor who would veto such a bill must really hate children.

We have a state fossil too, who does it hurt?

• FYBSFYBS 271 Posts
    "He did not understand the importance of walking," said Sen. Verna Jones, D-Baltimore, who sponsored a walking bill introduced Thursday. "It's the most basic exercise. Everyone can do it."