How much do you hate Anticon?

Comments

• faux_rillzfaux_rillz 14,343 Posts

Controller7 and Moodswing9 both contributed some awesome beats to the label, sole especially. C7's productions for sole are some of his (sole's) most shining moments really.

Go on and out me, dog!

We have not one, but two, former Anticon produceurs in the place!?

• Yean'no?

OG producer.

• Controller7 and Moodswing9 both contributed some awesome beats to the label, sole especially. C7's productions for sole are some of his (sole's) most shining moments really.

Go on and out me, dog!

We have not one, but two, former Anticon produceurs in the place!?

in light of these newly revealed facts, this place may in fact make u and harvey the 2 blackest dudes around.

well on this forum.

on the internet.

• Why do I deserve most of the hate?

• spelunkspelunk 3,400 Posts
    Anticon is wack, but this is old news.

It is unnerving how much influence they have had on indie hip-hop.

It is also unnerving that SoulStrut's #1 anticon fanboy put Jel in a thread with the best drummers in 2008.

This, unlike some Harvey posts, is one I fully support and would not be opposed to making a sticky item.

• rascmonrascmon 441 Posts
    that darcmind album is pretty awful

• Last Anticon release I got was the Nosdam album from a couple of years back. Waht kind of stuff are they releasing these days? Are the main dudes still making music? Dose or Jel or Alias or Nosdam?

• batmonbatmon 27,574 Posts
    I'll take sole over PUTS or Souls of Mischeif any day... and Jel over RJD2 or anyday as well.

• Just sayin'....Jel is pretty damn dope. It's just beats on a SP. Pretty straight-up and not too "weird" if that's how you regard the dudes.

• I made a few beats for them in the early days. I was around 19-20 years old for most of my involvement. Do I regret it? No, not at all. it opened up a bunch of doors and ended up giving me the opportunity to release solo records on other labels.

I don't really feel like I fit in with that scene and I haven't for awhile, but I'm not ashamed that I met those guys. As many people on this board will attest, most of them are really nice guys.

I don't ride for the whole catalog. I don't even really feel like listening to many of the early records that I used to like, but it is what it is. I think there was a spark there and it was kind of exciting for awhile.

Should I be ashamed (I know Harvey will say yes)? Feel like I am outed on this board? I never hid the fact that I've done some production for them in the past. Many people on this board have been involved with these dudes in some shape or another. Like many, most of us have kind of grown out of it and moved onto something totally different. I haven't even talked to most of them for years.

I may not stand whole-heartedly behind all of the music, but I'll still stand behind my beats. That's all I've ever done was make beats. As a 19 year old kid it was pretty damn exciting to have someone press up something I produced and have it released on a 12 inch (on Budz distribution of all places) with an instrumental.

I do think it's lame that dudes who don't even make music take this "I'm better than you" attitude. Put yourself out there in some way and then we'll talk. Being a message board superstar doesn't add up to anything in the real world.

So, I am not here trying to defend Anticon or change your opinion. I'll agree that some of it was misguided (mostly on the part of Sole's sarcasm), but who cares. You can battle me all you want. Tell me my jpegs are no longer cool. I don't really care.

• batmonbatmon 27,574 Posts
    I do think it's lame that dudes who don't even make music take this "I'm better than you" attitude.

• MjukisMjukis 1,675 Posts
    10 seconds is a good album, so is Meat and Oil. Anticon mcs aren't my cup of tea though. Keep going at it though fellas. It sure beats Gossip Girl.

• faux_rillzfaux_rillz 14,343 Posts
    I made a few beats for them in the early days. I was around 19-20 years old for most of my involvement. Do I regret it? No, not at all. it opened up a bunch of doors and ended up giving me the opportunity to release solo records on other labels.

I don't really feel like I fit in with that scene and I haven't for awhile, but I'm not ashamed that I met those guys. As many people on this board will attest, most of them are really nice guys.

I don't ride for the whole catalog. I don't even really feel like listening to many of the early records that I used to like, but it is what it is. I think there was a spark there and it was kind of exciting for awhile.

Should I be ashamed (I know Harvey will say yes)? Feel like I am outed on this board? I never hid the fact that I've done some production for them in the past. Many people on this board have been involved with these dudes in some shape or another. Like many, most of us have kind of grown out of it and moved onto something totally different. I haven't even talked to most of them for years.

I may not stand whole-heartedly behind all of the music, but I'll still stand behind my beats. That's all I've ever done was make beats. As a 19 year old kid it was pretty damn exciting to have someone press up something I produced and have it released on a 12 inch (on Budz distribution of all places) with an instrumental.

I do think it's lame that dudes who don't even make music take this "I'm better than you" attitude. Put yourself out there in some way and then we'll talk. Being a message board superstar doesn't add up to anything in the real world.

So, I am not here trying to defend Anticon or change your opinion. I'll agree that some of it was misguided (mostly on the part of Sole's sarcasm), but who cares. You can battle me all you want. Tell me my jpegs are no longer cool. I don't really care.

Just to be clear--I am not trying to hate on you, and I was joking when I referred to your "outing".

I am interested in hearing about who else on the board has contributed to Anticon releases.

• I made a few beats for them in the early days. I was around 19-20 years old for most of my involvement. Do I regret it? No, not at all. it opened up a bunch of doors and ended up giving me the opportunity to release solo records on other labels.

There it is...I still love your JPEGS C7!

• DORDOR Two Ron Toe 9,899 Posts

You mean, just talking and writing about it doesn't count???

From the stuff I've heard from you, I'm enjoying it. Don't hate Harvey. He dislikes anything that takes any shine away from PB & texas rap.

• marumaru 1,450 Posts
    this was posted before, but you gotta be crazy to not feel stuff like this

• verb606verb606 2,518 Posts
    I made a few beats for them in the early days. I was around 19-20 years old for most of my involvement. Do I regret it? No, not at all. it opened up a bunch of doors and ended up giving me the opportunity to release solo records on other labels.

There it is...I still love your JPEGS C7!

There it is indeed. And now with the Deus Ex Machina (AKA Controller 7) having entered the stage, can we now bring down the curtain on this tragic comedy?

• yuichiyuichi Urban sprawl 11,331 Posts
    I am interested in hearing about who else on the board has contributed to Anticon releases.seeing my day go by faster.

• it's cool faux.

Well, if you lived in the bay and were of a certain age you probably ended up at one of the shows at Ricos. To me, this was what it was all about. Dudes (like some people on here) djing downstairs playing boom bap, soul, whatever, while people were dancing and drinking. At the same time, you could go upstairs and watch the performances if you wanted to. Not your cup of tea upstairs, go back downstairs. This was a monthly thing and it was a lot of fun.

I'm not going to name anyone because maybe they don't want to be associated with it, but a lot of people I know in the real world from the Strut I met either from one of those shows or through a connection to someone from one of those shows.

• HarveyCanalHarveyCanal "a distraction from my main thesis." 13,234 Posts
    Tell you what...I'll go ahead and produce some beats for Anticon as a 19 year old and then we'll see who really has the right to hate freely.

I mean, I was really hoping that this thread alone was going to do big things for me in the real world...but I guess only Anticon affiliation could that for me.

• it's cool faux.

Well, if you lived in the bay and were of a certain age you probably ended up at one of the shows at Ricos. To me, this was what it was all about. Dudes (like some people on here) djing downstairs playing boom bap, soul, whatever, while people were dancing and drinking. At the same time, you could go upstairs and watch the performances if you wanted to. Not your cup of tea upstairs, go back downstairs. This was a monthly thing and it was a lot of fun.

I'm not going to name anyone because maybe they don't want to be associated with it, but a lot of people I know in the real world from the Strut I met either from one of those shows or through a connection to someone from one of those shows.

the daughter of the family that ran ricos was FOY-OY-OYNE

and i once saw grand buffet which is a group i really liked. im not sure if they were anticon or not but they seemed so.

• When those guys moved to the bay they started throwing parties at Rico's Loft, which was probally one of the best clubs S.F. has ever had. Anyways, upstairs they would all perform and downstairs it would be straight up house-party club music. Shit, I don't even think I was 21 at the time, anyways after DJ Stef asked me to fill-in one night they ended up having me be a resident at the party, which would be some of the first times I would ever deejay in public. And not for nothing, I was killing 'em.

I even had Sole freestyle on a track I did for this little mixtape I made in 97 or something. Again my first beat EVER. I did it on my dudes MPC. I looped up some Pharoah Sanders piano loop (john coltrane cover) looped some drums from some rock record and made it happen.

But i'm sure this is much "whiter" than dudes fascination with Queen and German Industrial Coil or whatever...

• DORDOR Two Ron Toe 9,899 Posts
    Tell you what...I'll go ahead and produce some beats for Anticon as a 19 year old and then we'll see who really has the right to hate freely.

I mean, I was really hoping that this thread alone was going to do big things for me in the real world...but I guess only Anticon affiliation could that for me.

• it's cool faux.

Well, if you lived in the bay and were of a certain age you probably ended up at one of the shows at Ricos.

shame what happened to that place. you used to be able to get pizza in the bar and everything. isn't it Harlot and Salt House that now occupy that space?

• HarveyCanalHarveyCanal "a distraction from my main thesis." 13,234 Posts
    it's cool faux.

Yes, I distinctly recall skipping seeing my very favorite mc of the time...PEACE...relive past history for the Anticon late-comers at Rico's, so that I could instead hear him later than same night rhyming over 1000 mph drum-n-bass beats at 1015.

• it's cool faux.

the daughter of the family that ran ricos was FOY-OY-OYNE

and i once saw grand buffet which is a group i really liked. im not sure if they were anticon or not but they seemed so.

I remember her. She was mad cold yo, probally tired of dudes hollering at her.

Tommy:

I see Gary Rivera all the time, dude i cool as shit.

• it's cool faux.

Well, if you lived in the bay and were of a certain age you probably ended up at one of the shows at Ricos.

shame what happened to that place. you used to be able to get pizza in the bar and everything. isn't it Harlot and Salt House that now occupy that space?

YUP! Mr Pizza man before and then a steady diet of long islands afterwards.

Are you Frickin' kidding me HARLOT occupies that spot. WOW. That's kind of Frickin' me up to be honest.

• RerogRerog 569 Posts
    Thanks Harvey for making me pull out some Anticon releases and give them a listen today...I enjoyed them quite a bit. Do I now need to trace my personal hip hop path to Dose One to justify my appreciation?

Also, how is it possible to hate a label with 100+ releases...seems like there should be something in there you could appreciate (PEACE or maybe even Wise Intelligent guest spots?)...
    Seems like your jussed pissed at what your "image" of the label is.

• it's cool faux.

Yes, I distinctly recall skipping seeing my very favorite mc of the time...PEACE...relive past history for the Anticon late-comers at Rico's, so that I could instead hear him later than same night rhyming over 1000 mph drum-n-bass beats at 1015.

THREAD OVER: HARVEY'S PATHETIC RANT REVEALED TO BE PERSONAL VENDETTA AGAINST THE DUDES THAT MADE HIM MISS A PROJECT BLOWED SHOW.

IT'S COME FULL CIRCLE.

NOTHING TO SEE HERE FOLKS.

SHAME IT TOOK 5 PAGES TO GET HERE.

NEXT.

• Yes, I distinctly recall skipping seeing my very favorite mc of the time...PEACE...relive past history for the Anticon late-comers at Rico's, so that I could instead hear him later than same night rhyming over 1000 mph drum-n-bass beats at 1015.

i couldn't really understand what that meant, but awesome. Glad you had a good time.