How much do you hate Anticon?

HarveyCanalHarveyCanal "a distraction from my main thesis." 13,234 Posts
edited January 2008 in Strut Central
More than a trip to the dentist?More than having to field solicitor phone calls at dinner time?More than being forced to eat the contents of a dirty ashtray?Personally, my hatred for Anticon is boundless. They might even be worse than Rootlesscosmo...Anyway, this thread is for expressing your own boundless hatred for Anticon...if such a strong emotion can even be put into words/images...

Comments

• faux_rillzfaux_rillz 14,343 Posts
    I hold a game-changing degree of hate for them.

Except the boy emynd.

• I hate their average fan more than I hate their music or the artists themselves

• HarveyCanalHarveyCanal "a distraction from my main thesis." 13,234 Posts
    I hate their average fan more than I hate their music or the artists themselves

Yes, I hate the entire state of Colorado as well.

Yes, putting bags over your heinous faces was a good idea. But using your fathers' KKK outfits to do so kinda defeated the purpose.

• that's not fair because that Anticon is a French design team that makes Hoodies. Has nothing to do with the label.

Seems like you're all heated up over nothing. Are people pushing this music on you? Seems a little childish to get so worked up over something that you don't even have to listen to. There are so many things I don't like, but I'm not worked up in a fever over them.

what is it that makes you so angry? I can understand if you don't like the music, the fans, or whatever, but why are you so upset about it?

• I hate their average fan more than I hate their music or the artists themselves

Yes, I hate the entire state of Colorado as well.
    Denver is gully, watch your back. But on the real, why the hatred for CO? I lived in Ft. Collins for a year and never met one anticon fan. And a lot of Colorado 'natives' hate the 'California expansion and killing of culture and condo boom' as much as you. Hahaha

• onetetonetet 1,754 Posts
    I'm not too familiar but circa 2001 or so I bought a CD comp of theirs thinking, okay, people keep talking about Anticon, let me see if I can find something to enjoy from this "scene"/"movement"/"posse"/whatever. Out of 20+ tracks I couldn't find one that didn't fill me with boredom and/or anger. Gave it several chances, too.

• batmonbatmon 27,574 Posts
    I never heard of them until I came to SS.

So i dont have any hatt for a group i dont know.

that's not fair because that Anticon is a French design team that makes Hoodies. Has nothing to do with the label.

Seems like you're all heated up over nothing. Are people pushing this music on you? Seems a little childish to get so worked up over something that you don't even have to listen to. There are so many things I don't like, but I'm not worked up in a fever over them.

what is it that makes you so angry? I can understand if you don't like the music, the fans, or whatever, but why are you so upset about it?

You need to post a jpeg quick, because you just wadded up all of your credibility and chucked it right out the window.

Either hate Anticon outright or perish. It's the only way.

• gambitgambit 906 Posts
    that's not fair because that Anticon is a French design team that makes Hoodies. Has nothing to do with the label.

You need to post a jpeg quick, because you just wadded up all of your credibility and chucked it right out the window.

Either hate Anticon outright or perish. It's the only way.

I don't ride for Anticon, but I have copped the quality releases. I am probably 1 of 19 black dudes that can/will actually say this.

Do they even still put records out?

• At one point I liked anticon, I was 17 or 18 then, once I thought about it for a little bit I changed my mind.

They're music was boring from the beginning and when they were coming up I think they made a lot of mistakes by presenting themselves as pretentious and conceded. (music for the advancement of hip hop anyone?) I could be wrong but I think I even heard that sole pushed Sixtoo, buck 65 out of their label because they didn't have the "anticon sound"

I am not really bothered by anticon in general. However I live in minneapolis and I feel a lot of people in the "hip hop" scene here have been deeply influenced by Anticon and have not broadened their horizons to develop they're sound. I feel that a lot of these "anticon influenced" kids neglect the fact that they are making black music so they are doing it with out soul. They are doing it with out studying the art form and recognizing how every characteristic of the music is deeply rooted in history in terms of its development. This has segregated the community and has produced a lot of half ass acts who seem to have no desire to innovate.

I may be a little harsh but thats how I feel.

• I hate them not one iota.

This is kinda dumb, Harvey.

• verb606verb606 2,518 Posts
    I don't hate them, but I don't particularly like them. Being a somewhat educated white dude who's technically from the suburbs, I can relate on some level to what they're doing. I would rather they create their own sub-genre of white-boy nerd rap than try to front on some hardcore gangster shit. Still, I don't turn to them, even when I'm looking for more lyrically substantive hip-hop.

I'm not so much mad at them as I am at any of their fans who listen to Anticon (and the like) and nothing else hip-hop related. Any of these kids who love Dose, and Sole, and whoever else but front on Nas, Wu-Tang, or Gang Starr don't really like rap, and they should stop purporting to be hip-hop fans.

• I'm not saying they didn't have some ideas that flopped and were downright silly, but that collective put out some good records too. Everything doesn't have to be painted with the broadest of brushes.

• I love quite a few Anticon releases and I dislike quite a few as well. You need to check out releases by dudes like Jel and Alias b4 jumping on the I hate Anticon bandwagon. I can see some annoyance by some of their music and fans, but it's not all bad. I wouldn't compare it to traditional hip hop by no means, I wouldn't even classify most of it as hip hop at all. But, hey everyone has their own opinion.

• emyndemynd 830 Posts
    We had this discussion 4 years ago when it was only slightly more relevant than it is now.

-e

• ReynaldoReynaldo 6,054 Posts
    I hate them because they saved hip hop.

• More than a trip to the dentist?

More than having to field solicitor phone calls at dinner time?

More than being forced to eat the contents of a dirty ashtray?

Personally, my hatred for Anticon is boundless.

They might even be worse than Rootlesscosmo...

Anyway, this thread is for expressing your own boundless hatred for Anticon...if such a strong emotion can even be put into words/images...

really? you look like you could be like dose one and soles love child.

well, i dont mind like 1 or 2 songs. and for a while there the resale on that shit was burning up french ebay. but yeah, the only kinda dancing i can do to anticon is that modern art rolling around on the floor shit. which is effing hot if i may say so but it just doesnt work in the club.

oh yeah, and sometimes that woe is me poor artist shtick gets annoying like hobos asking for money.

However I live in minneapolis and I feel a lot of people in the "hip hop" scene here have been deeply influenced by Anticon and have not broadened their horizons to develop they're sound. I feel that a lot of these "anticon influenced" kids neglect the fact that they are making black music so they are doing it with out soul. They are doing it with out studying the art form and recognizing how every characteristic of the music is deeply rooted in history in terms of its development. This has segregated the community and has produced a lot of half ass acts who seem to have no desire to innovate.

Yes!

• erewhonerewhon 1,123 Posts
    people keep talking about Anticon

• I hate them more than I hate myself.

Anticon put out some good records???

Seriously, I'd love to hear the context of how one comes to such a conclusion. Like, what rap were you listening to pre-Anticon that provided the path for you to appreciate Anticon? Weird Al? Superbowl Shuffle? Your blender mixing up an iced brussel sprout cocktail?

• people whining about Anticon in 2008....what an embarassing thread....

• jaymackjaymack 5,199 Posts
    people whining about Anticon in 2008....what an embarassing thread....

seriously.
    what is this HIP HOP INFINITY?

I have no hate for anticon. i even like some of their earlier shit. what's the point in being so negative towards someone? isn't there some cut n paste Texas rap you need to post about?

• meatyogremeatyogre 2,080 Posts
    Superbowl Shuffle??

You don't have to go here. Superbowl Shuffle was one of the first commercial rap successes ever! Laugh, but this record probobly inspired leagues of your favorite rappers to get into the artform.

Besides that, what is the Frickin' point of this post? We know you don't like white people buddy, we get it, we get it. Let it go.

• rascmonrascmon 441 Posts
    i always equated anticon as the music that fills the hole when indie rock college kids think "you know, i just realized that in my quest to appear to be an everygenre music superbrain, i dont listen to any rap"

Superbowl Shuffle??

You don't have to go here. Superbowl Shuffle was one of the first commercial rap successes ever! Laugh, but this record probobly inspired leagues of your favorite rappers to get into the artform.

You sound like you write Anticon press releases. "Inspired leagues of your favorite rappers to get into the artform"...geez.

• rascmonrascmon 441 Posts
    btw i'd rather listen to anticon than texas rap

i went there

• DJ_EnkiDJ_Enki 6,471 Posts
    people whining about Anticon in 2008....what an embarassing thread....

seriously.
    what is this HIP HOP INFINITY?

ZING!

But yo, when you dis Weird Al, you dis yourself.

Appreciate, batches!

• meatyogremeatyogre 2,080 Posts
    Superbowl Shuffle??

You sound like you write Anticon press releases. "Inspired leagues of your favorite rappers to get into the artform"...geez.

Release the hate buddy, it will feel better. Focus on your Chi, You're light as a cloud!