Important Hip Hop 12"s.........

124»

Comments

• De La Soul- "Me Myself and I" (would you say this was the foundation for alt rap in the early 90's?

Nah.

I'd say Ultramagnetic from a hardcore standpoint moving into The Jungle Brothers first joint that was the foundation for "Alt Rapp". Its hard to really point to one song.

Cats outside the game might see Del La as this new alien but the musical/conceptual changes were already happening before Me MySelf and I.

On the real - Plug Tunin' was some different shit. The ill samples w/ abstract rhymes.
    Me Myself and I was a familiar sample and got played in daytime NYC Black radio.

Shiiiat.......Planet Rock was some Alt Shit when it dropped.
    And all three groups mentioned were Zulu affiliated.

I don't doubt what you're saying...in fact I would highlight what you said about "cats outside the game". De La wasn't the first to come at rap sideways, and "Me Myself and I" wasn't necessarily even their first go at it, but from this outsider perspective it seemed the blow-up of that song is more directly responsible for early 90's stuff like Arrested Development, Me Phi Me, PM Dawn, etc, then earlier bug-outs like Bam and Ultramag. Jungle Bros got a good case behind them too, though, with their second album.

• Public Enemy "Rebel Without A Pause"

No doubt.

I was always a bit confused w/ this song and its placement in the PE catalog.

Its a B-side to a single from the first album. The second albums debut single was Dont BTHype right?
    And Rebel appears on the second album w/ slightly different mastering. it was cleaned up to me. whatever.

Rebel Without A Pause for me, is an extension of Yo! Bum Rush The Show and just added to Nations by default. Anyone have any stories on this?

That shrill sound shit was way more prevalent on the second joint but still. Rebel on the 2nd album always seemed kinda out of place to me. When I hear it still I cant shake that 98 posse image from my head. I dont really associate the song w/ the second album. Like it was done w/ a different attitude.

rebel without a pause is one of my favorite songs of all time. i thought it fit with nation of millions perfectly as they referenced that funky drummer beat several times on that album. who knows. either way, that was the cut!!

• HarveyCanalHarveyCanal "a distraction from my main thesis." 13,234 Posts
    De La wasn't the first to come at rap sideways, and "Me Myself and I" wasn't necessarily even their first go at it, but from this outsider perspective it seemed the blow-up of that song is more directly responsible for early 90's stuff like Arrested Development, Me Phi Me, PM Dawn, etc, then earlier bug-outs like Bam and Ultramag.

And that's something to be considered as noteworthy?

• DJ_EnkiDJ_Enki 6,471 Posts

i had some of this last night with the trader joes organic marinara sauce. man that tj's organic thing is bullshit. no flavor! give me flavor!

Man, I used to ride for that TJ's vodka marinara sauce, but then my local store stopped carrying it, so I sampled the other offerings...they all were fuckin' wack. C'mon, TJ's, get your act together!

• De La wasn't the first to come at rap sideways, and "Me Myself and I" wasn't necessarily even their first go at it, but from this outsider perspective it seemed the blow-up of that song is more directly responsible for early 90's stuff like Arrested Development, Me Phi Me, PM Dawn, etc, then earlier bug-outs like Bam and Ultramag.

good point. just sayin' it started a trend, not necessarily a good one. but where would we be without KRS throwing PM Dawn off the stage?

• batmonbatmon 27,574 Posts
    De La wasn't the first to come at rap sideways, and "Me Myself and I" wasn't necessarily even their first go at it, but from this outsider perspective it seemed the blow-up of that song is more directly responsible for early 90's stuff like Arrested Development, Me Phi Me, PM Dawn, etc, then earlier bug-outs like Bam and Ultramag.

Lineage.

Not to but to me this is an important COVER. The photo is one of the first (correct me if i'm wrong) "real" photos. An early look at what rap was becoming. No marketing team dressing them up saying you need to look like this or that. No fruity looking GM Flash and even Run DMC had matching outfits. To me that's one of the first covers where white and black people and fans of other genres saw a cover and thought to themselves.."Shit those guys look scary." and that's what the record was.

• batmonbatmon 27,574 Posts
    Public Enemy "Rebel Without A Pause"

Not to but to me this is an important COVER. The photo is one of the first (correct me if i'm wrong) "real" photos. An early look at what rap was becoming. No marketing team dressing them up saying you need to look like this or that. No fruity looking GM Flash and even Run DMC had matching outfits. To me that's one of the first covers where white and black people and fans of other genres saw a cover and thought to themselves.."Shit those guys look scary." and that's what the record was.

Very good call. It might be the first big label hip hop cover to actually show guns.

No doubt.

Its a B-side to a single from the first album. The second albums debut single was Dont BTHype right?
    And Rebel appears on the second album w/ slightly different mastering. it was cleaned up to me. whatever.

Rebel Without A Pause for me, is an extension of Yo! Bum Rush The Show and just added to Nations by default. Anyone have any stories on this?

I think it was more of a case that they'd just recorded Rebel not long after finishing the 1st LP. They were releasing a single so they shoved Rebel on the b side as they were excited about the track but perhaps unsure how people would react to it. It was big tune here (released as a single in its own right and I'm sure made the UK Top 40) so I think that would be why it was included on the follow-up LP. Record company would have demanded it and I'm sure PE were happy to have it included.

i had some of this last night with the trader joes organic marinara sauce. man that tj's organic thing is bullshit. no flavor! give me flavor!

Man, I used to ride for that TJ's vodka marinara sauce, but then my local store stopped carrying it, so I sampled the other offerings...they all were fuckin' wack. C'mon, TJ's, get your act together!

down here in LA there's this really bad show on an otherwise stellar radio station, kpcc. the show is called off-ramp and its basically a show produced by a cheerleader and a nerdy white guy. anyways, they did a whole segment on tj's discontinuing various product lines and how that realy upsets the customer base.

• DJ_EnkiDJ_Enki 6,471 Posts

down here in LA there's this really bad show on an otherwise stellar radio station, kpcc. the show is called off-ramp and its basically a show produced by a cheerleader and a nerdy white guy. anyways, they did a whole segment on tj's discontinuing various product lines and how that realy upsets the customer base.

Yeah, man, they really lost me with that one. I mean, I was even ditching Classico's in favor of that vodka marinara, so to go in one day and find it not in stock anymore was discouraging. They had like three other varieties, so I bought one of each and came to find out that all three sucked. It's so disheartening. I can't even show full loyalty to TJ's now because pasta is pretty much the main staple of my diet. Fuckin' with the pasta sauce? That's when ya lost!

• deejdeej 5,125 Posts

this year's urban radio traxxx all sound like '4 my people'

not actually true (or v reductive) but fun to think about

• faux_rillzfaux_rillz 14,343 Posts
    Ying-Yang Twinz "Wait"

• roistoroisto 879 Posts
    Public Enemy "Rebel Without A Pause"

No doubt.

That shrill sound shit was way more prevalent on the second joint but still. Rebel on the 2nd album always seemed kinda out of place to me. When I hear it still I cant shake that 98 posse image from my head. I dont really associate the song w/ the second album. Like it was done w/ a different attitude.

Rebel Without A Pause, Don't Believe The Hype and Bring The Noise were recorded in 1987, before the rest of the tracks on It Takes A Nation.