MAYO ON FRIES....

Comments

• OkemOkem 4,617 Posts

ehh!

i'm all for fries with gravy.

Chips & gravy kills.

Add a little stake and its pretty much

But for eating on the go, its got to be curry sauce.

• BrianBrian 7,618 Posts

• pjl2000xlpjl2000xl 1,795 Posts
    Im all about the ketchup.

vinegar and old bay seasoning is a east coast shore classic. I dont mind a little bit of mayo with fries, but im not ordering it anytime soon. Like ill sop up hamburger mayo runoff with a fry.

Disco fries are were also big in this one diner i used to go to. Its gravy and cheese.

• covecove 1,566 Posts
    Disco fries are were also big in this one diner i used to go to. Its gravy and cheese.

You mean "poutine"?

I'm a vinegar and salt guy, but i don't mind some mayo.

• Big_ChanBig_Chan 5,088 Posts
    Damn Bevan, now you got me craving some fries! I'm gonna make some tonight. HUGE pile of salted fries with Japanese mayo and curry tomato ketchup on the side. I will have a couple of nice cold Steinlager beers with this!

• BBQ sauce(spicy and sweet preferred)

• cpeetzcpeetz 2,112 Posts

I think Jules said it best when confronted with this culinary quandry...

Cotdamn!

Mayo gets the gas face from me, I can only tolerate it in tiny amounts on
    a sandwich. But I love Miracle Whip, which is hated by most.

• Danno3000Danno3000 2,850 Posts
    If the mayo is real, that is an emulsion of egg yolks and oil with a little acid, it's pretty damn good and goes well with tonnes of things, including fries. If the mayo is made in a factory or is anything other than egg yolks and oil, it's most definitely

• DB_CooperDB_Cooper Manhatin' 7,823 Posts
    In Belgium (and some of the better places in Holland) they have tartaresauce as well. It's a bit like mayo but with herbs in it. Lovely stuff but terribly greasy.

From what I understand tartar sauce is simply mayo plus relish. Seriously.

And I'm not too proud to dip my fries in all kinds of things but ketchup is the great American classic, obviously. Still, I'll fucks with mayo, barbeque sauce, malt vinegar, pretty much whatever's convenient.

Gravy fries with cheese is pretty awesome, though.

• Mayo is only good in mashed potatoes.

• AserAser 2,351 Posts
    Oil takes on a bell curve w/ frying I find, new is alright, but it tastes better by the 3rd or 4th fry. It acquires the characterestics of the food you've fried in it previously. Obviously if you're frying fish, best to reuse the oil ONLY for fish. Once the oil hits its peak, it quickly descends downwards, you'll need to change it by then.

My guilty pleasure as a kid was dipping mcd's fries in sweet & sour mcnugget sauce. Haven't had that in over a decade at least.

I bought some sweet potatoes, might make some fries tonight. Perhaps I'll make an aioli of some sort. Biggest mistake I find w/ fries is that people don't season right when they take it out of the oil. It's essential to season asap, and don't be scared of salt/pepper.

• ElectrodeElectrode Los Angeles 3,087 Posts
    Ughh...nasty. Oddly enough, I like ranch sauce or dressing and vinegar as a condiment. It's weird how the/my brain works that way when it comes to taste and texture

• OkemOkem 4,617 Posts
    Mayo is only good in mashed potatoes.

That just sounds wrong. A potatoe salad maybe, but mash??

Mayo is good . (Especially in a chicken sandwich.)

• BaptBapt 2,503 Posts

Hey guys, are you serious? This is a 2pagers on Mayo, yo!

There is a dj called Mayonnaise, you know?

• RAJRAJ tenacious local 7,779 Posts
    malt vinegar is probably my favorite thing to put on fries...

• batmonbatmon 27,574 Posts

BBQ/Ketchup/Mustard/any Hot Sauce.

Mayo on Fries = Joe Dirt cuisine

• Thousand island or Bleu Cheese dressing.

• Thousand island or Bleu Cheese dressing.

Hell yeah, blue cheese sounds good. Thousand island is basically mayo and ketchup, which I love. Always get a side of that stuff at In n Out

• If the mayo is real, that is an emulsion of egg yolks and oil with a little acid, it's pretty damn good and goes well with tonnes of things, including fries.

I have always found it strange that my friends who dislike mayo find it totally revolting and react strongly even if you mention it in conversation, but they are fine with all of the constituent ingredients (i.e. eggs, oil, and vinegar/or lemon juice) What is it about the combination that totally grosses people out?

If the mayo is real, that is an emulsion of egg yolks and oil with a little acid, it's pretty damn good and goes well with tonnes of things, including fries.

I have always found it strange that my friends who dislike mayo find it totally revolting and react strongly even if you mention it in conversation, but they are fine with all of the constituent ingredients (i.e. eggs, oil, and vinegar/or lemon juice) What is it about the combination that totally grosses people out?

Dogs,

Hellmanns and Kraft arent made up of those three simple ingrediants.

If your makin it homeade style and dip yo fries in it - fine. But the industrial shit is FAT HELL MONSTER SHIT.

• ^^^
    Fortunately my girl works at Whole Foods. The brand we use is natural with the basic ingredients.

You're right about that other stuff though.

• SPlDEYSPlDEY Vegas 3,375 Posts
    I'm allergic to ketchup hence mayo on fries appreciation.

- spidey

• btw a friend of mine eats his fries with mustard..

I used to do that as a kid, still do sometimes.

• Danno3000Danno3000 2,850 Posts

From what I understand tartar sauce is simply mayo plus relish. Seriously.

Nah, real tartar sauce is well different and, if made fresh and properly, really great. Take for example this ingredient list from epicurious:

1 cup mayonnaise
    1/4 cup finely chopped dill pickle
    3 tablespoons chopped green onion
    1 tablespoon drained capers
    1 tablespoon chopped fresh parsley
    2 teaspoons fresh lemon juice
    1 teaspoon Dijon mustard
    1/2 teaspoon dried tarragon
    1/2 teaspoon Worcestershire sauce
    1/4 teaspoon hot pepper sauce

- spidey

Are u allergic to tomatoes or just Cats-up.

• cpeetzcpeetz 2,112 Posts

- spidey

Bummin'!

• SPlDEYSPlDEY Vegas 3,375 Posts

- spidey

Are u allergic to tomatoes or just Cats-up.

Any Tomato that hasn't been put thru a heat. So I can have pizza, but not a slice of tomato on my hamburger.

I'm also allergic to all nuts, all seafood, grapefruit and most other citrus-y fruits, grass, cats and dogs, but that's another story.

- spidey

• hemolhemol 2,578 Posts

That's what I thought until I worked at a French restaurant where made fresh mayo was the accompaniment--that junk is good.

That's what I thought until I worked at a French restaurant where made fresh mayo was the accompaniment--that junk is good.

Fresh Mayo is a whole diff animal than Fat American Mayo.

No dont get me wrong - Potato salad aint shit w/ out some muthafuckin Jar Mayo.

• waxjunkywaxjunky 1,850 Posts

Though largely considered to be a meal unto itself, chili can also be a delicious condiment.