UMAD?

Comments

• spelunkspelunk 3,400 Posts
    This basically boils down to whether you care about the community/people the records come from. How many of you can honestly say that if you bought three copies of a $4000 record from a guy in a rough part of Detroit, you would go back and give the guy $2000+? These are the type of stand up people that are doing it in Detroit. To walk in and knowingly f*ck with that kind of relationship is foul.

• Phill_MostPhill_Most 4,594 Posts

god can someone take a better picture of this and send it to me. i want to put this image on a tshirt. those boxes are fresh! trius, money, magic touch, m-pac, etc!!!

ness did all those, every 45 box in the store actually - pretty neat

I REALLY LIKE THIS

• RockadelicRockadelic Out Digging 13,993 Posts
    This basically boils down to whether you care about the community/people the records come from. How many of you can honestly say that if you bought three copies of a $4000 record from a guy in a rough part of Detroit, you would go back and give the guy $2000+? These are the type of stand up people that are doing it in Detroit. To walk in and knowingly f*ck with that kind of relationship is foul.

I appreciate and have done this quite a few times myself....that's how you continue to get good vinyl over the long haul.

Anyone who has dealt with me over the years, and there are plenty, know I always play/pay a 50/50 split on items both selling and buying.

But complaining about some dude coming into your "territory" and buying records that you feel should rightfully belong to locals is some waaaamulance shit.

And if the locals are all about tearing down each other's signs it sounds like the whole Detroit scene is pretty fucked up.

Jonny.....can you imagine some NYC dudes complaining that some young punk from Cali came to town, opened a store and fucked with their "territory"....I think you'd agree, it would be total BS.

There have been incredible local collections that have been bought by folks from as close as 200 miles away and as far as 3,000 miles away here in D/FW and the only thought that ran through my head was I need to step up my game.

• BreakSelfBreakSelf 2,925 Posts

god can someone take a better picture of this and send it to me. i want to put this image on a tshirt. those boxes are fresh! trius, money, magic touch, m-pac, etc!!!

ness did all those, every 45 box in the store actually - pretty neat

I REALLY LIKE THIS

• FYBSFYBS 271 Posts
    damn, that's pretty rad.

• SoulhawkSoulhawk 3,197 Posts
    the whole Detroit scene is pretty fucked up

thanks, we love you too.

thanks, we love you too.

Dude....at least quote my whole sentence..... "IF" folks go around tearing down "I BUY RECORDS" signs, as YOU stated, that's pretty fucked up....no??

I appreciate and have done this quite a few times myself....that's how you continue to get good vinyl over the long haul.

Anyone who has dealt with me over the years, and there are plenty, know I always play/pay a 50/50 split on items both selling and buying.

But complaining about some dude coming into your "territory" and buying records that you feel should rightfully belong to locals is some waaaamulance shit.

And if the locals are all about tearing down each other's signs it sounds like the whole Detroit scene is pretty fucked up.

Jonny.....can you imagine some NYC dudes complaining that some young punk from Cali came to town, opened a store and fucked with their "territory"....I think you'd agree, it would be total BS.

It sounds to me like you don't get the point we're trying to make, Rich. This is not about who the records rightfully belong to, it's about treating people fairly and giving back to the community. The dude funkyou! is working with is a notorious rip off merchant, who scams people out of their records for dirt cheap (e.g. paying .25$ for a copy of the De Lites on Cuppy). If you can't see how parasitic that is, then I guess I don't know what to tell you.

Ask Raj or cardova or tripledouble or galaxy, and they will all tell you how kind and inviting the collectors in Detroit are. If anyone on the Strut (or anywhere else) gets a lead on a collection in Detroit, please, by all means, drive over and pick it up. While your in town you can check out the thrifts, go to garage sales, stop by People's Records and the Graveyard, etc. etc. But don't come to Detroit and exploit people. I mean, if dude wanted to come to Detroit and open a store that'd be just fine. At least that way he'd be stimulating the local economy and giving back to local collectors. It would also assure that the prices he pays are fair.

And yes, it is, IMO, a different situation if you're dealing with somebody who lives in a million dollar house. In that situation you make take the opportunity to increase your profit margin, b/c the family is clearly not hurting for cash. When it comes to typical Detroit households, however, buyers have an opportunity (provided the right records are there) to really help people out.

As far as the British go, they are responsible for establishing the rare soul market. When they were first coming over on buying trips, the records were worthless. To me the Brits get a pass because not only did they revitalize and maintain the soul scene, but also b/c, to them, it's always been about the music, and I respect that. Aaron Perkins doesn't give a fuck about the music, or the people he gets it from and that is what makes him a bitch.

And dude, $10 for 50 records in Detroit is Frickin' nonsense. I will pay $15 for 50 vg- Junior Walker 45s.

I'm comin' to Detroit.....warn the neighborhood.

You'll have to get a haircut first, or you'll be getting a lot doors closed in your face.

• im no expert but arent we talking about capitalism? nothing is fair.

thanks, we love you too.

Dude....at least quote my whole sentence..... "IF" folks go around tearing down "I BUY RECORDS" signs, as YOU stated, that's pretty fucked up....no??

read between the lines Rock

I accepted your conclusion, but maybe not the line of reasoning that got there

• ReynaldoReynaldo 6,054 Posts
    The fair only comes to town once a year.

Break.....I understand what you're saying.

Look back to the first posts about it in this thread.....the first one was "Dude is sending out cards to my neighborhood...Fuck Him"

Sending out cards is genius and hard work.......for every call that you score on there are 25 that are wastes of time....if I did records for a living I'd consider doing this.

Then you posted that folks were coming into a local record store and bitching about what they got paid by dude......so I ask you this.

Why the fuck wouldn't they walk into the record store to sell their records before they ever got a card, OR after they got the card to make sure they were getting a fair deal.

They only come in the store AFTER they sell them to bitch??

If the only complaint you have is he is ripping people off with what he is paying them, cool, I can get with that.......but I assume that would go for locals too?

But the fact that he's mailing cards, from out of town or doesn't appreciate the music...that's some

first of all, there are several viewpoints in this thread you are confusing

2nd, hiring a direct mail company is more about $$$ than genius or hard work

I don't like to hear about people getting ripped off, it makes me feel sad

---

2nd, hiring a direct mail company is more about $$$ than genius or hard work

---

Wow....please to post one of these cards.....I gotta see this shit.

And giving the Brits a pass is cool....I have nothing but admiration for them......but the people they bought records from feel like they got ripped off.....believe me, I've met plenty of them, mostly Jukers, and they have some not so kind words for those blokes.

Break.....I understand what you're saying.

Why the fuck wouldn't they walk into the record store to sell their records before they ever got a card, OR after they got the card to make sure they were getting a fair deal.

They only come in the store AFTER they sell them to bitch??

It's simply through word of mouth. Person A sells their records to the out-of-towners and then, through the course of conversations with Persons B and C (who have been to said record store), come to realize that they've been fleeced. Person A then takes what's left of their records to the record store and is paid more money than they received for their top shelf stuff. Does that make sense?

But the fact that he's mailing cards, from out of town or doesn't appreciate the music...that's some

I appreciate your point of view on the matter, Rock, and understand why you'd feel that way. My opinion is that this third party record campaign is ultimately harmful to the livelihood of Detroit - a city I care about, and a city that's already on the verge of collapse. To me it's a shame when the money that is tied into personal collections is exported rather than spent locally, because Detroit could use that commerce more than perhaps any other city in the country (save for NOLA, perhaps). Anyway, there's a lot more I could say on the matter, but I'll leave it at that.

And giving the Brits a pass is cool....I have nothing but admiration for them......but the people they bought records from feel like they got ripped off.....believe me, I've met plenty of them, mostly Jukers, and they have some not so kind words for those blokes.

Oh, no doubt. It's an issue I'm somewhat conflicted about as well.

NAH, FUCK THEM TOO

NAH, FUCK THEM TOO

lol

• if this is your concern shouldnt u be worried about more sustainable forms of income rather than used records? i mean, are record sales a integral part to detroits economic make-up? i understand trying to help a city out financially and culturally, but getting all worked up about old records like its some sort of social program is just plain ridiculous.

shouldnt u be worried about more sustainable forms of income rather than used records?

this is a question I ask myself often

• shouldnt u be worried about more sustainable forms of income rather than used records?

this is a question I ask myself often

i hear the direct mail company business in detroit is booming

BTW...this was the highlight of the thread!!!!!

if this is your concern shouldnt u be worried about more sustainable forms of income rather than used records? i mean, are record sales a integral part to detroits economic make-up? i understand trying to help a city out financially and culturally, but getting all worked up about old records like its some sort of social program is just plain ridiculous.

Isn't it dinner time, dude? What are you doing on the computer?

Point well taken, though. Yes, I'm probably overstating my case a bit, and I'm certainly aware that paying people well for their "old records" isn't going to jump start Detroit's economy. The issues that are really at the heart of Detroit's downfall are what I was alluding to when I said that there was plenty more I could say on the issue. Anyway, I guess I just find this to be a particularly egregious case of exploitation. I mean, walking into somebody's house and ripping them off is just so Frickin' weak.

• Sending out cards is genius and hard work....

It's not genius to send cards out to Detroit, it's actually pretty vampish. It's a broke city with a high foreclosure rate, no jobs, plenty of crime and drugs, and lots of black people. May I repeat, carpetbaggers.

Break is right, stores keep doors open, give people jobs, service the community, and help combat an feeling of a deserted city.

This shit also drains records out of the stores for local collectors/music lovers wishing to purchase those records. The best records get sent elsewhere, never to comeback to the tri-county area and not to return to a local record store. Communities with extra dollars to spend, unlike Detroit, get good records while the dollar bins swell here.

I don't know exactly what Funk pays but the dude who's running around ripping people off here claims "he learned everything he knows from Funkyou in St. Louis" and was "going to drain this town of records" so that leads me to question his business practices.

When local collector/dealer J** M********* was sending out cards, people got ruffled but nobody got pissed because he was local and paid right, frequented stores, and passed on collections that were not his genre.

It seems locals and those that actually run and/or love brick and mortar stores find this practice fucked up. To say selling records is just capitalism and all is fair is kinda fucked. Have we reached total cut throatery in a game that used to be a fun way to make living without having to sell your soul (no pun intended)?

Anyways, this is Detroit. There's two ways to go. Either move to another city or buckle up and get gully if you're staying.

MCF

• if this is your concern shouldnt u be worried about more sustainable forms of income rather than used records? i mean, are record sales a integral part to detroits economic make-up? i understand trying to help a city out financially and culturally, but getting all worked up about old records like its some sort of social program is just plain ridiculous.

Isn't it dinner time, dude? What are you doing on the computer?

Point well taken, though. Yes, I'm probably overstating my case a bit, and I'm certainly aware that paying people well for their "old records" isn't going to jump start Detroit's economy. The issues that are really at the heart of Detroit's downfall are what I was alluding to when I said that there was plenty more I could say on the issue. Anyway, I guess I just find this to be a particularly egregious case of exploitation. I mean, walking into somebody's house and ripping them off is just so Frickin' weak.

its not like i dont agree with you. im just saying youd be tearing down the very structure that holds this country together. that shit sucks. most people deal. white folks complain.

and yes i am effing HHHAAAAAANGRY!!!

my dude tsega is hooking me up with dinner in the form of jack daniels.

• shooteralishooterali 1,591 Posts
    Ok, I've read every post and my point may not mean shit but here's one thing that get's me. Someone can complain about an out of towner coming in and gripping collections. Local buyers, sellers, collectors.etc should have been on top of the records in their area. Now, FUNKYOU, comes in gripes and flips oebay. Those records are gone to god knows where. Here's the thing, what's the difference if it's a local guy or out of towner buying. Like most, those records end up on ebay and they sell to people overseas and no one bitches when the japanese/european come to town and buy crates of shit. People just see $$$ thats it.

most people deal. white folks complain.

OK, that made me laugh out loud.

And hey, if I can't get worked up over records on SoulStrut, then the internet is officially on its way out.

Ok, I've read every post and my point may not mean shit but here's one thing that get's me. Someone can complain about an out of towner coming in and gripping collections. Local buyers, sellers, collectors.etc should have been on top of the records in their area. Now, FUNKYOU, comes in gripes and flips oebay. Those records are gone to god knows where. Here's the thing, what's the difference if it's a local guy or out of towner buying.

I thought you said you read every post in this thread?!?!

Like most, those records end up on ebay...

Wrong.

Anyway. I'm gone.