Aint No Mountain High Enough (Multitrack Session)

brandonbrandon 42 Posts
edited January 2008 in Strut Central

Comments

• SPlDEYSPlDEY Vegas 3,375 Posts
    Is that carol kaye I hear? kidding..

spidey

• troublemantroubleman 1,928 Posts
    this is fantastic! Thanks for posting.

• many thanks! i asked about this a few months back... can't find the thread.

• Where did you get this?!
    CRAZY! The ways to flip this are infinite!
    now look out for the flood of remixes...
    Recluse
    myspace.com/djstaffro

• DocMcCoyDocMcCoy "Go and laugh in your own country!" 5,913 Posts
    HOLY SHIT.

Good lookin' out, man.

• dammn thats dope. thank you

• That photo is so funny.
    it looks like he just stuck a finger in her ass and said "shhh, it's ok."

• very cool!
    gotta love the internets!

• SPlDEYSPlDEY Vegas 3,375 Posts
    All these Isolated Motown tracks are really putting a clear picture on alot of there production methods. It's interesting to me how purposefully low everything is mixed. I just got done playing around with it and beefing up the drums, and messed around with the isolation of elements(Kenny Dope approach?). Just like I'm sure everybody did with this.

However listening to the original mix is so refreshing. It reminds you of why this modest track is a classic.

- spidey

• Thanks so much for this. Hearing Jamerson's isolated bassline is giving me goosebumps.

• PABLOPABLO 1,921 Posts
    Yeah, these multi track sessions being leaked lately is interesting.
    Honestly, they're amazing learning tools more so than anything else.
    I mean, what are YOU gonna do to Issac Hayes "Look Of Love"?
    Add a breakbeat underneath?
    Make a clurb remix?
    It's a classic! Damn near perfect!
    I was amped when I got "Look Of Love". I figured I'd do some crazy remix...then I played it out, isolated tracks, listened to the playing, the groove, the bleed between mics, all the nerdy studio shit you'd expect. Realized I learned a great deal from it and really felt any kind of attempt to remix would pretty much be disrespect...but maybe that's just me.
    Regardless, whoever is leaking these I>please/I> keep it up!

• indeed. listening to each track makes you realize how amazing these songs and musicisans are. Flawless playing.

• jaymackjaymack 5,199 Posts
    so fun!
    are there more out there??

• Wow, this is amazing, It's so nice to hear the tracks solo'd!
    I've been playing around making a mix in protools just for fun and I'm really surprised how distorted the top end is on all the tracks when you solo them. I knew that the vocal mic pres at motown always give that distorted saturated sound but it sounds like that happens on all the tracks to a degree. The crash cymbals, the high notes on the strings even the bass sounds like its really being pushed. Is it the preamps or a heavily saturated tape that gives this? Anyways it sounds amazing, it's incredible how well the tracks come together and glue so tightly, it's hard to mix this badly.

I was also surpised to hear how little kick drum is going on, Jameson's bass fills the space right up though perfectly.

I wonder how much eq and processing is going on in these tracks? There's got to be some.

• thanks this awesome. So what exactly is out there that people are getting besides this and look of love? I have these two now. haha What am I missing?

• dayday 9,611 Posts
    Wow, thanks for posting this. It's pretty incredible to hear. I would love to check out "The Look of..." if anyone could post it.

thanks this awesome. So what exactly is out there that people are getting besides this and look of love? I have these two now. haha What am I missing?

This is the first I've heard of the multitracks from these sessions, but I know some from Stax were released not too long ago.

• Wow, thanks for posting this. It's pretty incredible to hear. I would love to check out "The Look of..." if anyone could post it.

thanks this awesome. So what exactly is out there that people are getting besides this and look of love? I have these two now. haha What am I missing?

This is the first I've heard of the multitracks from these sessions, but I know some from Stax were released not too long ago.

yeah i was gonna say. I knew of the stax and that's it. I still haven't been able to find what stax they sent out. I know friends of mine that have 10-20 them I believe. I just don't know what they are.

• dayday 9,611 Posts
    oops forgot to put "*other Stax". I still haven't even heard that one. Someone told me they were all Pro Tools files so I never checked for it. I heard there were dozens out there though. Is the Isaac wav or PT files?

• mad props for this

can anyone link me to the look of love tracks?

this is dope.

• Yeah, can someone post up "Look of Love"? classic material indeed

• dayday 9,611 Posts

That photo is so funny.

it looks like he just stuck a finger in her ass and said "shhh, it's ok."

b/w

I think it's time to take this thread to Real Heads...

• Stax is supplying to Soul Brother #1 Pete Rock!

Now I just found this:
    "...Having secured a partnership with the soul flagship, Stax, Rock has acquired several multitracks from some of the label's rarer sessions. By having the ability to solo, mute and sample tracks within Pro Tools' interface, Rock's taken a closer listen to techniques in the age of analog production. In many ways, that has expanded his compositional vocabulary. ???Producers from the Stax era paid a lot of attention to stuff like hooks, choruses, building bridges and drum breaks. When you listen to it track by track, you start to learn how to break away from the loops and add to the dynamics. I'm trying to bring that to hip-hop producers.???

Good article imho:
    http://remixmag.com/mag/remix_protect_defend/index.html

• FYBSFYBS 271 Posts
    That string track isolated is like a little slice of heaven. I want that to play while I slowly drift toward the light some day.

• That string track isolated is like a little slice of heaven. I want that to play while I slowly drift toward the light some day.

i totally agree. that string track is dope. and if anyone is kind enough to link tot hat look of love multi-track. that would be mad appreciated.

• Thanks so much for this. Hearing Jamerson's isolated bassline is giving me goosebumps .
    anyone know where to find Look of Love?