records that saw the future

2»

Comments

• I always felt that way about the below track, which kind of goes two ways. On one hand it sounds like stuff like Portishead just because that's the kind of stuff they sampled. But I also think this is arranged like it was done on a sampler, ie, not so much melodic elements as triggered textures.

http://rapidshare.com/files/48214852/side_b_-_les_dunes_d_ostende.mp3

• Yeah, I feel like this thread is headed in two different directions --

a)specific recordings that sound like they weren't recorded when they were, but could pass for having been recorded at another specific time (perhaps even now).

b)bands/records/songs that were ahead of their time, or even "out of time"

For category "b" I nominate...

early Pere Ubu
    early Devo
    early Chrome
    Shuggie Otis
    early Soft Machine
    Raincoats
    Slits
    Swell Maps
    This Heat
    United States of America
    lotsa Sun Ra
    too many Krautrockers to mention

and on Silver Apples and Sparks

Shuggie Otis "ahead of his time" status revoked immediately[/b] upon hearing 'There's a Riot Going On'.

• LazerLazer 796 Posts
    "my life in the bush of ghosts" could have been made yesterday. imo.

• akoako https://soundcloud.com/a-ko 3,413 Posts
    IMG src=http://tbn0.google.com/images?q=tbn:DSHmFp5nfiIKcM:http://bp2.blogger.com/_7St4jD20p0o/RddMY_HWm1I/AAAAAAAACEE/gUzwWZ1es3w/s400/feedbackf.jpg>

PS, Can dont just sound ahead of their time, i really think their sound is TIMELESS period.

• verb606verb606 2,518 Posts
    Enrico Intra released this unknown LP on the Vatican's label sometime in the 70s
    one of the tracks sounds EXACTLY[/b] like Air
    check out "Preghiera" @ 50 seconds

http://librarymusic209.blogspot.com/2007/11/enrico-intra-oltre-il-tempo-oltre-lo.html

Doesn't Air sorta emulate the sounds of the 60's and 70's, though? (I only heard their first couple of albums so I'm not completely up) We're getting into dicey territory when comparing an old album to a modern group with a decidedly retro vibe to them. Then it's more like "Air's album sounds like it could have come out 30 years ago."

Now, I didn't listen to the above clip and I haven't heard a lot of Air's recent stuff, so I'm not speaking directly on the comparison made above, but I wanted to point out that comparing old shit to groups that are out now is hard, because so many bands nowadays are aping styles of the past, however obscure.

• SPlDEYSPlDEY Vegas 3,375 Posts
    Enrico Intra released this unknown LP on the Vatican's label sometime in the 70s
    one of the tracks sounds EXACTLY[/b] like Air
    check out "Preghiera" @ 50 seconds

http://librarymusic209.blogspot.com/2007/11/enrico-intra-oltre-il-tempo-oltre-lo.html

I think this might be another case of an artist being influenced by a sound.

- spidey

• MjukisMjukis 1,675 Posts
    Cosign on Ralph Lundsten, he's truly the man. He built all these weird synthesizers in the 70s, he supposedly had this "Love synth" that was supposed to be played by a bunch of people together, with sensors detecting how they moved and touched each other. He apparently showed it to the Led Zeppelin dudes when they came by his house to borrow some equipment. He still lives in his crazy pink house in the Swedish countryside.

While some of their stuff is a bit too weird for me, the Residents were definitely ahead of the curve. The Mole Show EP (don't remember the exact title) sounds like something beamed down from a spaceship from the future orbiting earth or something.

• Nearly all the tracks on the United States of America LP that had Dorothy Mokowitz on them.

• I'll probably die before I get a chance to hear this..

• I'll probably die before I get a chance to hear this..

http://rapidshare.com/files/64739783/Silver_Apples.rar

• Big_StacksBig_Stacks "I don't worry about hittin' power, cause I don't give 'em nuttin' to hit." 4,670 Posts
    Hey,

Here's one:

"Beyond the Clouds" 12"-Quartz.

I'm sorry the image wouldn't show. This sort of reminds me of some drum & bass from the 90s.

Peace,

Big Stacks from Kakalak

• Doesn't Air sorta emulate the sounds of the 60's and 70's, though?
    Yeah, it's probably not a great example since they could have easily just replicated the beat. Still, it seems like their "signature sound" ... further imitated by lesser bands like Zero 7. Here is the music in question:

• roistoroisto 879 Posts
    Cosign on Ralph Lundsten, he's truly the man. He built all these weird synthesizers in the 70s, he supposedly had this "Love synth" that was supposed to be played by a bunch of people together, with sensors detecting how they moved and touched each other. He apparently showed it to the Led Zeppelin dudes when they came by his house to borrow some equipment. He still lives in his crazy pink house in the Swedish countryside.

That synth, called Dimi-S, was built in 1972 by the Finnish inventor Erkki Kurenniemi. It was designed to be played by four people who held in their hand metallic balls that were connected to the synthesizer. When the players touched each other, the electricity between them produced sound.

• HarveyCanalHarveyCanal "a distraction from my main thesis." 13,234 Posts

• Yeah, I know...I'm sure you had something else in mind when starting this thread, but still:

what i was thinking before opening the thread.

on a related note, i always have to chuckle at the Jeru line "I blow up spots like the world trade center." from come clean

back to topic; i agree that its difficult most of hte times to say anything old sounds like new music since you never know what influenced people.

that being said, i always found Sly and the family stones "if you want me to stay" sounds way newer to me than it actually is. dunno exactly why but i think its the whole sequencing, sounds so clean.

• m_dejeanm_dejean Quadratisch. Praktisch. Gut. 2,946 Posts
    "Love synth"

That synth, called Dimi-S, was built in 1972 by the Finnish inventor Erkki Kurenniemi. It was designed to be played by four people who held in their hand metallic balls that were connected to the synthesizer. When the players touched each other, the electricity between them produced sound.

Well, metal balls do seem a like natural choice for transducing input to a love synth

I didn't know about Kurunniemi. I'm listening to this now:

http://direct-waves.blogspot.com/2007/03/erkki-kurenniemi-aanityksia-recordings.html

Always interested in electronic music pioneers. Thanks for the heads up.

• mannybolonemannybolone Los Angeles, CA 15,025 Posts
    cool thread... I think the smiths fall into this category

I don't think the SMiths saw the future so much as the present is biting the past.

I swear to god, half of what's hot in rock circles right now makes me think it's 82 all over again. Not that this is a bad thing, mind you.

• cool thread... I think the smiths fall into this category

I don't think the SMiths saw the future so much as the present is biting the past.

I swear to god, half of what's hot in rock circles right now makes me think it's 82 all over again. Not that this is a bad thing, mind you.

It's a bad thing if you're old enough to remember 1982...

• PrimeCutsLtdPrimeCutsLtd jersey fresh 2,632 Posts

I see what you're saying.. I was thinking if they came out today they would fit right in with a lot of new bands I hear...One thing, their sound isn't dated like some other bands that are emulated right now.

I see what you mean.. I was thinking if they came out today they would fit right in with a lot of new bands I hear...

What bugs me is that so many of these bands are basically low grade ripoffs of bands I grew up with, presented to an audience largely ignorant of the originals (shouted into the darkness of a message board where the greatness of the Beatles is regularly questioned...).

• "my life in the bush of ghosts" could have been made yesterday. imo.

forgot about this one. sampling and remixing vocals in a totally new context back in 81! and D. Byrne is still pushing boundaries with all the creative commons work he's doing. for example:

"This is the first time complete and total access to original tracks with remix and sampling possibilities have been officially offered on line. In keeping with the spirit of the original album, Brian and David are offering for download all the multitracks on two of the songs. Through signing up to the user license, and in line with Creative Commons licenses, you are free to edit, remix, sample and mutilate these tracks however you like. Add them to your own song or create a new one. Visitors are welcome to post their mixes or songs that incorporate these audio files on the site for others to hear and rate."

http://bushofghosts.wmg.com/

• PrimeCutsLtdPrimeCutsLtd jersey fresh 2,632 Posts

I see what you mean.. I was thinking if they came out today they would fit right in with a lot of new bands I hear...

What bugs me is that so many of these bands are basically low grade ripoffs of bands I grew up with, presented to an audience largely ignorant of the originals (shouted into the darkness of a message board where the greatness of the Beatles is regularly questioned...).

I was hanging out with some of the younger guys from my work. They were telling me how dave grohl's playing drums for led zep on an upcoming tour. I was like, "oh really like Phil Collins did at live aid" insert no idea what I'm talking about graemilin

I was hanging out with some of the younger guys from my work. They were telling me how dave grohl's playing drums for led zep on an upcoming tour. I was like, "oh really like Phil Collins did at live aid" insert no idea what I'm talking about graemilin

We's OLD....

• FrankFrank 2,370 Posts

what about this weird Suicide-sounding drum machine?

• what about this weird Suicide-sounding drum machine?

Go back years before that to Simtec Simmons' 'Tea Box' on Maurci...

• MjukisMjukis 1,675 Posts

Thanks for the info. I imagine it looking a bit like that organ thing in Barbarella!

• spcspc 534 Posts
    Hey,

Here's one:

"Beyond the Clouds" 12"-Quartz.

I'm sorry the image wouldn't show. This sort of reminds me of some drum & bass from the 90s.

Peace,

Big Stacks from Kakalak

That's a dope LP, I just bought it a few weeks ago.
    A Number Of Names "Sharevari" was also ahead of its time:

• basically any rap records that referenced the Bush presidency and/or the world trade center bombing before 2001.

I mean, how did they know?

• Whoah, great clip featuring Sharevari. "The Scene" looks like a mix between Soul Train and a cheap wedding. The host is off some coke, can barely get the words out at the end.

• kalakala 3,358 Posts
    there are some lee morgan joints that sound like 2 step drum and bass beats as does 'hell below' on east of the underground
    while i never heard that kongas joint i thought that erotic drum band had some proto house beats