records that saw the future

captainplanetcaptainplanet 626 Posts
edited January 2008 in Strut Central
kinda weird example of this phenomenon, but I was skimming this kikrokos lp (cerrone/kongas rel.) and heard this little moment that pretty much blew me away. recorded in '78, this sounds like a techno/house beat that coulda been produced last year- made with entirely analogue synths! there's a ton of examples, but this one started me thinking. take a listen:what are some other examples of songs (not even necessarily good ones) that sounded out the future. Silver Apples comes to mind, so does Jean-Jacques Perrey, and James Brown.

Comments

• deejdeej 5,125 Posts
    song is nuts dude! never heard that before

i know the one getting a lot of hype lately in a similar vein is that black devil disco club LP

• shooteralishooterali 1,591 Posts
    kinda weird example of this phenomenon, but I was skimming this kikrokos lp (cerrone/kongas rel.) and heard this little moment that pretty much blew me away. recorded in '78, this sounds like a techno/house beat that coulda been produced last year- made with entirely analogue synths!

there's a ton of examples, but this one started me thinking.

take a listen:

what are some other examples of songs (not even necessarily good ones) that sounded out the future. Silver Apples comes to mind, so does Jean-Jacques Perrey, and James Brown.

price scan!! please!!

• SPlDEYSPlDEY Vegas 3,375 Posts

Can - Fall of another year

This song is fresh, and it definitely doesn't sound like it's from '68.

- spidey

• price scan!! please!!

mine set me back $1. not sure how hard it is to turn up, but here's a link to MP3 download:

http://getupandboogie.blogspot.com/2008/01/kikrokos-jungle-dj-and-dirty-kate-1978.html

CAN definitely fit the bill.

• PonyPony 2,283 Posts
    kinda weird example of this phenomenon, but I was skimming this kikrokos lp (cerrone/kongas rel.) and heard this little moment that pretty much blew me away. recorded in '78, this sounds like a techno/house beat that coulda been produced last year- made with entirely analogue synths!

take a listen:

what are some other examples of songs (not even necessarily good ones) that sounded out the future. Silver Apples comes to mind, so does Jean-Jacques Perrey, and James Brown.

Wow, this shit jacks! That really is quite amazing, I can't really think of any other songs that had that sound that early. You should do a re-edit sir.

Def

• Hotsauce84Hotsauce84 8,450 Posts
    Yeah, I know...I'm sure you had something else in mind when starting this thread, but still:

• kinda weird example of this phenomenon, but I was skimming this kikrokos lp (cerrone/kongas rel.) and heard this little moment that pretty much blew me away. recorded in '78, this sounds like a techno/house beat that coulda been produced last year- made with entirely analogue synths!

take a listen:

Sounds good..that Black Devil whatchamacallit stuff is good too from what I heard a few years ago. I'd like to hear more.

• BaptBapt 2,503 Posts

take a listen:

wow! good example.

• haha I clicked on the thread to say Cerrone. and on that note, Daft Punk's homework as well

• m_dejeanm_dejean Quadratisch. Praktisch. Gut. 2,946 Posts
    kikrokos

I sold that LP last year. I remember that passage, but overall I wasn't that keen on it. But yeah, that snippet definitely fits the "crystal ball" category.

When it comes to synth-based music, I've heard some crazy futuristic stuff on Italian libraries.

This deserves a mention too:

Everyone sweats "Horrorscope" (and rightly so), but to me, the last song on the album, "Lifetide" is just as killer in a different way.

RALPH LUNDSTEN - "LIFETIDE"
    http://www.zshare.net/audio/672989566715d5/

Big washes of ambient mush with some nasteee discofunk bubbling underneath. The band sounds like they're recorded in another galaxy. Live drums, mixed to sound like a machine. Boom on the kick, snare is almost inaudible, phaser on the hihat. Add farty synthbass, plastic-sounding clavinet and cheese guitar. Sounds as fresh today as it did in '79 IMO.

This reminds me that I still need to get "Discophrenia".

• DocMcCoyDocMcCoy "Go and laugh in your own country!" 5,913 Posts

As for Daft Punk's "Homework", I remember thinking at the time that an awful lot of that record echoed the Cajual/Relief/Radikal Fear sound that had been pretty popular in some UK clubs a few years earlier. Personally, I think "Discovery" scores much higher on the scale.

• kinda weird example of this phenomenon, but I was skimming this kikrokos lp (cerrone/kongas rel.) and heard this little moment that pretty much blew me away. recorded in '78, this sounds like a techno/house beat that coulda been produced last year- made with entirely analogue synths!

take a listen:

Thought the same thing about the Kikrokos track when I picked it up a few years ago. It is pretty jacking techno after what is some pretty cheesy disco for most of the track.It is weird but i have never played it out.
    Erotic Drum Band- Love Disco Style 12" has a section where it becomes techno-like in a similar vein

ESG-UFO was Drum and Bass before its time

• KineticKinetic 3,739 Posts

This deserves a mention too:

Everyone sweats "Horrorscope" (and rightly so), but to me, the last song on the album, "Lifetide" is just as killer in a different way.

RALPH LUNDSTEN - "LIFETIDE"
    http://www.zshare.net/audio/672989566715d5/

Big washes of ambient mush with some nasteee discofunk bubbling underneath. The band sounds like they're recorded in another galaxy. Live drums, mixed to sound like a machine. Boom on the kick, snare is almost inaudible, phaser on the hihat. Add farty synthbass, plastic-sounding clavinet and cheese guitar. Sounds as fresh today as it did in '79 IMO.

This reminds me that I still need to get "Discophrenia".

Total cosign. This record kicks ass, and it is way ahead of it's time. And yes, I sweat Horrorscope.

take a listen:

• tomasltomasl 315 Posts
    back cover of this

• DUDE

• DocMcCoyDocMcCoy "Go and laugh in your own country!" 5,913 Posts

take a listen:

Did you know that, later this year, Sparks are doing a 22-date season at the Islington Academy in North London, where they intend to perform every single one of their albums in sequence and in its entirety?

• JimsterJimster Cruffiton.etsy.com 6,885 Posts
    If you mean "Old acts that sound just like the stuff The Critics are flipping over now (2008)" then The Ramones, Stooges, Clash... I mean, The Strokes are just a mashup of that. If someone had played me The Strokes and said they were some obscure garage band in El Paso in 1971, it would seem a reasonable claim.

But then wtf do I know, I hate that sound

A Certain Ratio?
    I don't think The Human League sound that dated.
    The Steely Dan 70's catalog still sounds clean.

• PrimeCutsLtdPrimeCutsLtd jersey fresh 2,632 Posts
    cool thread... I think the smiths fall into this category

• onetetonetet 1,754 Posts
    Yeah, I feel like this thread is headed in two different directions --

a)specific recordings that sound like they weren't recorded when they were, but could pass for having been recorded at another specific time (perhaps even now).

b)bands/records/songs that were ahead of their time, or even "out of time"

For category "b" I nominate...

early Pere Ubu
    early Devo
    early Chrome
    Shuggie Otis
    early Soft Machine
    Raincoats
    Slits
    Swell Maps
    This Heat
    United States of America
    lotsa Sun Ra
    too many Krautrockers to mention

and on Silver Apples and Sparks

Why the "Soft Machine"? I am a fan, but surely to be instrumentally proficient these days is like being a clever 13 year old in a shit school?

Why the "Soft Machine"? I am a fan, but surely to be instrumentally proficient these days is like being a clever 13 year old in a shit school?

very influential in splinterings of 60s psych-rock into 70s prog and fusion, very influential on/involved in later post-punk era of Canterbury scene. Maybe Soft Machine of 1968 didn't see 2008, but at the very least they saw 1975 and 1982.

• troublemantroubleman 1,928 Posts
    I'm not if this was mentioned yet but:
    Mizzell brother production + CTI = Helped usher in the smooth jazz movement.

I'm not if this was mentioned yet but:
    Mizzell brother production + CTI = Helped usher in the smooth jazz movement.

Mizell product >>>>>>>>>>> smooth.

Smooth has got some nice chords, and top playing, but I think the musicians are strictly and deliberately limited in what they can do - chastised for putting too much into it. Apparently doesn't go down well with the test clowns with electrodes taped to their heads.

I remember Dianne Reeves commenting that some of her work was rejected by a radio network because they told her, deadpan, that she was "Emoting too much".

They probably stream "Slayer" now.

• roistoroisto 879 Posts
    There's this Finnish LP released in 1980 that sounds exactly like a Basic Channel / Burial Mix release from 20 years later. Unfortunately, I don't a sound clip available...

• deejdeej 5,125 Posts

a)specific recordings that sound like they weren't recorded when they were, but could pass for having been recorded at another specific time (perhaps even now).

early Pere Ubu
    early Devo
    early Chrome
    Shuggie Otis
    early Soft Machine
    Raincoats
    Slits
    Swell Maps
    This Heat
    United States of America
    lotsa Sun Ra

this is kinda lazy tho ... those are only 'ahead of their time' in the sense that a few people picked up on it critically and it snowballed, the connection is too explicit! Its not hard to be 'ahead of your time' when folks are trying to sound like your time.

i like the oddball-ness of the first choice cuz it sounds like a generic version of 90% of contemporary 'minimal' techno + a disco beat ... real strange coincidence. but its not like techno artists have been bumping this record for 30 yrs

early Pere Ubu
    early Devo
    early Chrome
    Shuggie Otis
    early Soft Machine
    Raincoats
    Slits
    Swell Maps
    This Heat
    United States of America
    lotsa Sun Ra

this is kinda lazy tho ... those are only 'ahead of their time' in the sense that a few people picked up on it critically and it snowballed, the connection is too explicit! Its not hard to be 'ahead of your time' when folks are trying to sound like your time.

I do see what you're saying, and in my post was trying to make a distinction between the commonly-known "b"s and the more obscure "a"s.

• Enrico Intra released this unknown LP on the Vatican's label sometime in the 70s
    one of the tracks sounds EXACTLY[/b] like Air
    check out "Preghiera" @ 50 seconds

http://librarymusic209.blogspot.com/2007/11/enrico-intra-oltre-il-tempo-oltre-lo.html