weird German talk show host freestyles on my beat

13»

Comments

• E_DailyE_Daily 812 Posts
    the station(giga tv, a games/pc channel) airing this is going off the air in like a month or something - if youre trying to do something about this

DO IT NOW!!!

oh and good luck

• HawkeyeHawkeye 896 Posts
    I'm sorry, but you cant sue those guys in any way.

I understand that you feel fooled by him mocking a wack MC over your beat, but in front of the law he did nothing.

All that happened is that a camera filmed a fool while he was trying to be funny. The music was thrown in randomly by the soundman. The station dedcided to air it. The pay german GEMA for this, which is like ASCAP or BMI.

So they did nothing wrong, nothing against the law, they didnt infringed anything.

The GEMA money is the only you can ask for. They have to credit your beat in their monthly GEMA declaration and thats all.

They didtn sell this, they didnt earn any direct money from it, its all for promotional use, no money to sue for.

Some kids which are as funny as this Giga host snatched the clip and posted it on youtube and other video platforms. Those dudes infringed your rights, because they dont pay GEMA, ASCAP or BMI. Youtube is not paying anything too. So youtube infringes your rights, and any other videoplattforms too.

Giga TV got the clip on their own site, they dont infringe anything because they pay GEMA for their website.

The only thing you could do regarding the use of a lawyer is a temporarly injunction. You could force youtube and all those other videoplattforms and even Giga to take off the clip with your music in it. You could also force Giga to never play that clip again on their station.

But the lawyer would cost you more than the GEMA money you could get. And there is no extra money from Giga, because the didnt infringe anything.

You could try to sue Giga in the US for hurting you mentaly but I doubt you would win a couple of thousand dollars. Even if you win, they would never pay, they are here in Germany.

And dont forget, your lawyer will get his money definitely !!!

You could try to sue youtube and all those videoplattforms, but I doubt you could win against their lawyers, and still you had to pay your own lawyer.

This is how commercial televison and radio works. They pay GEMA, ASCAP, BMI money and they got the right to play anykind of music, and talking over it or whatever. They are not allowed to sell music, but to air it. And thats all Giga did, its not against the law to talk shit over anykind of music and air it.

Sorry to tell you that, but thats how it is.

Peace
    Hawkeye

• You could try to sue Giga in the US for hurting you mentaly
    Peace
    Hawkeye

knowledge dropped.

I wasn't really even going for anything. I didn't think anything would come of it. If anything, just expecting a clearance, proper credit, and a usage fee. I wouldn't bother suing them.

I doubt I'll get anything from it. It was more that I wanted him to stop rapping. I was also kind of caught up in the "what the fuck. Why is this popular?" aspect of it, but I'm not tripping on it. I kind of forgot about it already.

Thanks for all the info though.

• sticky_dojahsticky_dojah New York City. 2,136 Posts
    Even if you win, they would never pay, they are here in Germany.

And dont forget, your lawyer will get his money definitely !!!

thanks F*** for chiming in! This is very interesting and the above statement reminds me of the vice versa situation when US rappers got paid (half) their money upfront and don't show up to a gig in Europe...

• HawkeyeHawkeye 896 Posts
    If anything, just expecting a clearance

They dont have to do that here in Germany. Cant talk for the US, but here everything is allright if only you pay GEMA

proper credit

The same. They dont need to do that under German copyright laws.

and a usage fee

If they pay GEMA they dont need to pay a extra fee. If your song would have been used as a element in a show, which would be sold to the station. Than you could ask for a fee, because your music was than used in a commercial purpose, than it would be part of a commercial deal by selling it as part of a show, but this is not the case here.

It was more that I wanted him to stop rapping. I was also kind of caught up in the "what the fuck. Why is this popular?" aspect of it

Yeah I can feel you.

The only explanation I have is that all the viewers of this program are extremly young and they dont own anything which would be similiar to a brain. The audience is as dumb as the host, so everybody thinks its funny.

Peace
    Hawkeye