Cloned Beef on your supermarket's shelves

hemolhemol 2,578 Posts
edited January 2008 in Strut Central
Hey folks, a coworker told me yesterday that the FDA just gave cloned meats the go-ahead. Some brief internet research confirmed it. Apparently there will be no indication that the meat you are buying is from a cloned animal. Get educated on what you're buying.

Comments

• I try to fuck with meats from meat markets and natural food stores. Sunflower Farmers Market and Whole Foods usually have good stuff. I would hope they aren't messing with cloned cows.

Safeway/Albertson's/Kroger however, they will sell you anything. Also, NEVER buy meats from a wal-mart or k-mart grocery store!

Shit, back in the day, Food Lion (NC/SC, not sure if they have them elsewhere) were caught repackaging expired meat. Nasty!

• Get educated on what you're buying.

• What's your beef with cloned meat?

• It's not cheaper - it's ideally going to be a luxury item (!)

Reading the linked discussion is helpful and informative

• A meat cloner has been interviewed twice on an NPR show called Here and Now
    He seems to think it's just a technological advancement, made a comparison to horse buggies -> cars
    He also said that people who want cheap food should not tell the producers how to make it (??!!)
    This science is still new so it is reasonable for people to be concerned about what they eat. I remember seeing cloned rats getting unnaturally large.

• DB_CooperDB_Cooper Manhatin' 7,823 Posts

I'm getting damn sick and tired of you "informationalists" always insisting that people "read" and "learn" about what they're discussing before forming an opinion on it. This is America, damn it. I have the right to be wholly ignorant and shout that ignorance on the interweb, and to a lesser extent, from the mountaintops.

Can we get a "By all means, spout off about something you know not" graemlin already?

• yuichiyuichi Urban sprawl 11,331 Posts
    Likewise, I heard it on NPR the other day. They were talking about "good cow semen" and how some fetch thousands of dollars.

The world is a complicated place already...it seems like it's getting more complicated by the day. Maybe it's just me.

Talking about "non-cloned beef" can be a luxury item! The fuck outta here with that bullshit.

• GropeGrope 2,970 Posts
    that stuff is meant to be a joke. there is no cloned beef. but cheap american beef is some of the worst things you could eat anyway. the us bio labs are going crazy. not with cloned beef though...

• batmonbatmon 27,574 Posts
    He also said that people who want cheap food should not tell the producers how to make it (??!!)

He's right.

That's where the problem lies. You cant have high production values and expect cheap meat.
    Raising an Organic animal isnt "cheap", even though it should be eventually once muthafucka change the farming game and thier mentality.

• DjArcadianDjArcadian 3,630 Posts
    Why are people upset about cloned meat? I mean we've been eating meat packed with hormones for years. Seems like cloned cows may produce healthier meat in fact. Clone cows that produce more without the need for hormones.

• Reading the linked discussion is helpful and informative

I'm getting damn sick and tired of you "informationalists" always insisting that people "read" and "learn" about what they're discussing before forming an opinion on it. This is America, damn it. I have the right to be wholly ignorant and shout that ignorance on the interweb, and to a lesser extent, from the mountaintops.

Can we get a "By all means, spout off about something you know not" graemlin already?

I don't think you necessarilly have to read an article on this specific subject (cloned beef) to be uncomfortable with eating food produced with GMOs.

I, personally, would rather eat naturally raised beef. Is it wrong to be weary of food that comes from a laboratory? Or do you need a PhD in food science to be able to have that opinion?

• He also said that people who want cheap food should not tell the producers how to make it (??!!)

He's right.

That's where the problem lies. You cant have high production values and expect cheap meat.
    Raising an Organic animal isnt "cheap", even though it should be eventually once muthafucka change the farming game and thier mentality.

Yeah, maybe I didn't quite word it right, but I meant to convey that his statement is dangerous. There is often a high cost for cheap food.

• DB_CooperDB_Cooper Manhatin' 7,823 Posts

I don't think you necessarilly have to read an article on this specific subject (cloned beef) to be uncomfortable with eating food produced with GMOs.

I, personally, would rather eat naturally raised beef. Is it wrong to be weary of food that comes from a laboratory? Or do you need a PhD in food science to be able to have that opinion?

Nah, I actually agree with your leanings. I was obliquely remarking on the fact that Johnny's simple suggestion to read up on one's read ups seems out of place on the interweb, which itself is a ridiculous and sad state of affairs.

• GropeGrope 2,970 Posts
    Why are people upset about cloned meat? I mean we've been eating meat packed with hormones for years. Seems like cloned cows may produce healthier meat in fact. Clone cows that produce more without the need for hormones.

?!?!?!?!?!

and what the hell is cloned meat? meat from cloned cows? which idiot would clone cows for the meat??? do you people even know what cloning is? can us farmers clone cows on their farms? what's the hell??? what for?

• kwalitykwality 620 Posts
    Soylent Green is next. Cloned animal meat is just too for me. One more reason to become a vegetarian really. I'm sure they've done plenty of meat industry funded long term research though, so nothing to worry about people, eat up!