Atmosphere - "Strictly Leakage" Free Album

sloppywhitesloppywhite 230 Posts
edited January 2008 in Strut Central
All sample based production.Nice lyrics as usual.And free to boot!http://www.rhymesayers.com/atmosphere/

Comments

• jaymackjaymack 5,199 Posts
    the recent atmosphere has been realllllly good. they moved away from that sing-songy rock bullshit and got back 2 tha real schitt.

• subsub 311 Posts
    too

• verb606verb606 2,518 Posts
    I read the title to this post as "Strictly Leakage Free" as if there was no possible way that this Atmosphere album will ever get leaked before release date.

Even if that was the case, it's Atmosphere, so the title would be ironic anyway.

Say what you will about Slug, but Ant's beats are almost always I'll ride for him any day.

It's cool that they're such ballers that they'll just do an album and give it away. I guess they figure backpackers don't pay for shit anymore anyway.

• Ant's beats are almost always I'll ride for him any day.

It's cool that they're such ballers that they'll just do an album and give it away. I guess they figure backpackers don't pay for shit anymore anyway.

Well, that and given the sample heavy nature of the album (a lot of which is easily recognizable) i'd say it'd be too expensive to release legitimately.

Ant's beats are almost always I'll ride for him any day.

Well, that and given the sample heavy nature of the album (a lot of which is easily recognizable) i'd say it'd be too expensive to release legitimately.

Isn't every Atmosphere album sample-heavy? I figured they never cleared samples, as they could never afford to do so. If he's choosing more obvious sources that's one thing. Also, I would guess that Atmosphere's sales numbers are (or were at one point) getting close to the magical "if you're selling this many units you better clear shit" amount.

I guess they're one of the rare acts that can eat well off of touring alone. More power to them.

• It sounds to me like they wanted to do a throwback record that was fun. They probably figured it wouldn't be feasible to work this as a real record and decided to do it as a free mixtape style cd. I'm not mad at it. I haven't listened to an Atmosphere record in a long time, but this is fun. Guest feature by YZ.

I don't think it's whether or not they are famous enough to have to clear samples or whether or not they can afford to clear these samples, I think they did it as a free record because if they released this as a real album all the hatters would be "yo, _____ ____ used that loop already." "This shit's weak, tired ass recycled beats."

You give it away for free and you kind of hush some unnecessary hatters.

I think it sounds fun.

It sounds to me like they wanted to do a throwback record that was fun. They probably figured it wouldn't be feasible to work this as a real record and decided to do it as a free mixtape style cd. I'm not mad at it. I haven't listened to an Atmosphere record in a long time, but this is fun. Guest feature by YZ.

I don't think it's whether or not they are famous enough to have to clear samples or whether or not they can afford to clear these samples, I think they did it as a free record because if they released this as a real album all the hatters would be "yo, _____ ____ used that loop already." "This shit's weak, tired ass recycled beats."

You give it away for free and you kind of hush some unnecessary hatters.

I think it sounds fun.

Oh, I didn't know they were using loops like that. That makes sense. I haven't heard it so I don't know the deal.

knowing them, Slug could base a whole tour off of a free promo CD and cake ugly.

• minneapminneap 541 Posts
    i was wondering when this drop would make it's way onto the Strut. definitely a fun record, Ant is on point throughout. i wasn't expecting too much outta this but figured i shouldn't hate on free music. turns out i like this one better than almost all of their earlier shit. indeed.

• marumaru 1,450 Posts
    i haven't listened to any new atmosphere stuff since se7en's travels. wasn't really feeling the direction they were going in and they've been releasing so much stuff recently i had to seriously question their quality control. i'll peep this though.

• This is some of the best stuff I've heard from them since Dynospectrum.
    Really looking forward to the new album.
    Minneapolis stand up!!!

• There is only one question that needs to be answered: Will this leakage silently shit on the rest of hip-hop?

• There is only one question that needs to be answered: Will this leakage silently shit on the rest of hip-hop?

Nicely put, sir.

I vote, for the most part, yes.

There is only one question that needs to be answered: Will this leakage silently shit on the rest of hip-hop?

the question is, is it shitting on The Million Dollar Orchestra, apparently the best release of Oh Eight, ever. all genres!

• LazerLazer 796 Posts
    This is some of the best stuff I've heard from them since Dynospectrum.
    Really looking forward to the new album.
    Minneapolis stand up!!!

standing, M***, standing.

• spelunkspelunk 3,400 Posts
    This is dope and I usually don't dig his output. These beats are all fire.

"What, are you gonna fuck her in my den?"

This is so good.

• ive never heard nothing theyve done prior, but this isnt bad at all. sounds good, got a sense of humor and props to free music. stiletto and shit!

• Hotsauce84Hotsauce84 8,450 Posts
    Slug once substituted my ex-girlfriend's name at a concert ("Fuck You, Lucy R****") days after she left me for some other dude. And by "some other dude" I mean "some punk ass alcoholic pussy ass bitch ass dickheadface motherfucker that put hands on her."

She got mad at me when mutual friends told her about the show. I would never ever disrespect her in public like that, but it was M*rs' doing. I can't lie, I smiled a lil' bit on the inside.

• herm loves the ladies

• subsub 311 Posts
    why are so many people hating on slug anyway. i think he's great. he hasw that sort of irony that you rarely find in rap....

• UnherdUnherd 1,880 Posts
    why are so many people hating on slug anyway. i think he's great.

Leave Slug ALONE!

• subsub 311 Posts
    why are so many people hating on slug anyway. i think he's great.

Leave Slug ALONE!

for the record: this ain't me

• MjukisMjukis 1,675 Posts
    I never really thought I'd listen to Atmosphere but I'm liking this album!

• magneticmagnetic 2,678 Posts
    i like the "road to riches" cover.

• Hotsauce84Hotsauce84 8,450 Posts
    I'm liking this but I have to say that I hate when rappers complain about other rappers, especially when they're pretty much dissing versions of their former self. You would think they'd have at least a little sympathy.

• I cant believe soul strut is riding for Atmosphere. Wow. Slug is good though, ima download this now.

• i like the "road to riches" cover.

The "What They Hittin Foe" cover is fresh, too.

Been listening to this album all day at work. Fresh!

• i like the "road to riches" cover.

The "What They Hittin Foe" cover is fresh, too.

Been listening to this album all day at work. Fresh!

Slug says that all the tracks on ???Strictly Leakage??? are in some way based around old hip hop joints that either Ant and Slug himself love. I like the BDK/Young Gifted and Black based opening track and the Ice T based ???you played yourself???.

I got no idea what Atmosphere have got planed for their proper album release on April 22nd titled ???When Life Gives You Lemons, You Paint That Shit Gold???
    I still think there is going to be less samples and more live shit but I said that about their last proper album and was proved wrong.