WEEKEND finds

akoako https://soundcloud.com/a-ko 3,413 Posts
edited January 2008 in Strut Central
im broke so i stopped by the only thrift store in town with 50cent records. cant help it since the last record i sold for $638.00 was found there....didnt come up with much, just two:IMG src=http://tralfaz-archives.com/coverart/V/vfems_front.jpg>IMG src=http://www.dustygroove.com/images/products/p/pointersist_steppin~~_101b.jpg>

Comments

• Field finds from the last few days:

• the last record i sold for $638.00 was found there....

damn, how many records have you sold for $638.00?

i'm happy to have finally copped Joe Henderson /Our Thing/ Cover is busted but record plays nice. Strangely, one side label says NY-USA and the other side label says division of Liberty. Jacket says W. 61st. WHY, RECORD GODS, WHY????

• holmesholmes 3,532 Posts
    the last record i sold for $638.00 was found there....

damn, how many records have you sold for $638.00?

i'm happy to have finally copped Joe Henderson /Our Thing/ Cover is busted but record plays nice. Strangely, one side label says NY-USA and the other side label says division of Liberty. Jacket says W. 61st. WHY, RECORD GODS, WHY????
    Not totally uncommon because Liberty used up the remains of the Blue Note label/cover stock first before changing everything. There are some weird combos around, Liberty LPs in original NY jackets etc.

• decent weekend. i was hoping to hit the flea market for some dollar finds but it was closed.

Heh heh, I grew up with that Violent Femmes LP Ako, classic stuff.
    That Baby Ray LP is an ok listen too.
    Another pretty slow weekend for records.
    I picked up that Soul Jazz "New Orleans Funk" triple LP that I'd been meaning to buy for a little while. Also got some cheapos: Gladys Knight "Standing Ovation", Supremes "Greatest Hits Vol.3", George Shearing "Latin Escapade", the Frontier Records comp "Diamonds At A Discount" & a couple of 45s: Magic Lanterns "Biding My Time" & Wilson Pickett "Take A Closer Look At The Woman You're With".

• 1975 promo original...how rare is this?!? not even on popsike.

sealed copy!

i've been trying to get this on ebay for ages...it's a yacht-rock disco classic with breaks...fantastic tune...found it for two bucks at the legendary brooklyn digging spot the thing yesterday.

• onetetonetet 1,754 Posts
    picked up a nice variety of stuff in bmore stores over the last few days...

Alice Cooper was a tardy holiday gift; Ali Akbar Khan, Fairport Convention, and Detroit Emeralds were all dollar bin (covers are wrecked but records play well); everything else very cheap except for Mel+Tim and the new stuff (Boris, Earth, Wzt Hearts, and Sir Richard Bishop).

• my girlfriend got this for me for xmas...it was a longtime want and my friend tipped her off to it...she had to order it from germany and didn't get here until a couple weeks after xmas...probably the first time a girlfriend has ever successfully bought me a record as a gift that i didn't already have! it's a killer italo boogie tune...and super rare.

• audio??? it'll give you a chance to get this divshare embedding shit down.

• let's give this a shot...here's the five sinners

DivShare File - Five Sinners.mp3

• SoulOnIceSoulOnIce 13,027 Posts

Nice early 70's session. I tend to like these Cobblestone joints,
    like The Visitors albums and Jimmy Heath The Gap Sealer, etc.

The title is correct. This is salsa, and it is

I gotta assume So Cal headz are up on this. Nice private jazz recorded live
    in Belmont Shore, 1976. Mix of styles, some breezy some bop-ish and one pretty fonkay:

Band features Dwight Dickerson, Charles Owens, Leroy Vinegar ... nice album.

CHEEPIES:

Not only is that Paul Horn DOLLARBINCOMMON, but in many ways it is also the
    hideous birth of SMOOTH JAZZ. Thing is, the songs he covers on it include 3
    David Crosby tunes, "Song With No Words," "Long Time Gone" and "Guinnevere"
    as well as Stevie's "Living for the City" so how could I resist? "Long Time
    Gone" is probably the only one I can get with[/blog]

Haven't played the Doris Troy yet but I know it doesn't have much of a rep.
    Bobb Trimble reish made for a nice mellow session last night.

• nice one on the bobb trimble! i had the OG of the one you got...sold it for serious loot...gotta get those reissues.

here's the yacht rock disco jam:

DivShare File - Sailor Down By The Docks.mp3

• karlophonekarlophone 1,697 Posts
    more good deal randomness from people who do not normally deal in records..

^^ the tap record has some choppable stuff on it, IMO. as for the les paul - theres nothing like an unplayed record from 50+ years ago.

^^ i knew the nothing record was silence, but i have a soft spot for absurd novelty records.
    The tramp thing is on an All Platinum subsidiary. What didnt the robinsons put out?

^^ that Keith record is really called "Out Of Crank". the tower of power is one of
    those super clean sounding sheffield labs records, its from 1977, mostly good
    listening. blackwell = a good example of 'wtf is this?' taking a chance, havent listened yet.

the red cross is their 1980 debut EP, i thought i was missing the cover but a quick
    popsike search confirmed it came this way too.

could not pass on a sealed 'Right On' with no punch holes or corner cuts. the astral
    weeks is neat just cuz its a Canadian OG, they used the gold WB label later than in
    the USA. Bupple Puppy OG on Intl Artists is my find of '08 so far, i doubt ill
    score as well for a long time. the Dave Dee is apparently the UK original on
    fontana, dated 67, a year before their US "greatest hits' debut.

• Two minty vinyl OGs:

Donato on Muse
    Ella & Louis on Verve, '56

• PrimeCutsLtdPrimeCutsLtd jersey fresh 2,632 Posts
    part 3 of my reggae scores...my man is going to florida, then Jamaica so hopefully he has some more tasty treats in the spring...

This is indeed a great album, unfortunately mine is the '77 Muse reish with a totally different (ie. lamer) cover.

^^ that Keith record is really called "Out Of Crank". the tower of power is one of
    those super clean sounding sheffield labs records, its from 1977, mostly good
    listening. blackwell = a good example of 'wtf is this?' taking a chance, havent listened yet.
    If that Blackwell is the same band that has the "Wonderful"/"Dirty Story" 45 on Atlantic then it is ok late 60s/early 70s style rock with a slight soul influence. Nice finds again though, love that early Red Cross stuff.

• RockadelicRockadelic Out Digging 13,993 Posts
    If that Blackwell is the same band that has the "Wonderful"/"Dirty Story" 45 on Atlantic then it is ok late 60s/early 70s style rock with a slight soul influence. Nice finds again though, love that early Red Cross stuff.

Blackwell are from South Texas and that copy is on the local Astro label.

The LP was later picked up by a major label....Cotillion.

Member Rabbit Bundrick later played with Free and The Who.

Not sure about an Atlantic 45??

• All LPs

Buddy Miles - Them Changes
    Rotary Connection - S/T
    Rotary Connection - Alladdin
    Checkmates Ltd - Love is All We Have To Give
    Tyrone Davis - Can I Change My Mind
    The Neighborhood - Debut
    Young Holt Unlimited Live On Stage
    Flamingos - Flamingo Serenade
    1910 Fruitgum Company - 123 Red Light
    Turley Richards - S/T
    Turley Richards - Expressions
    Harold Melvin & the Blue Notes - Black and Blue
    Doc Severinson - Fever
    Rudy Ray Moore - Eat Out More Often
    Ramsey Lewis - Them Changes
    Steve Miller Band - Children of the Future
    Smokey Robinson & the Miracles - Make It Happen
    Buddy Rich - Swingin' New Big Band

and

a weird Asian pressing (Eny) of the Love Childs Afro Cuban Blues Band 'Out Among Em'

• Did pretty well in the thrift dollars bins this week!

Found some classic hip hop 12s for $1 a piece!
    Bizzie Boyz!

Everything was less than $3...Most for $1 though!
    Top left is 2nd II None "be true to yourself"

Pleasure for $1...Reuben Howell is sealed!

Colours is Sealed!

Mail find...RAER Break!!!

• yuichiyuichi Urban sprawl 11,331 Posts
    Nice pickups, SOI! i need me some cobblestone as well. Al williams is a desireable as well.

• waxjunkywaxjunky 1,850 Posts
    let's give this a shot...here's the five sinners

DivShare File - Five Sinners.mp3

We'll done! Now try "Down on the Docks"!

Oops! I didn't read far enough down! Thanks!

Blackwell are from South Texas and that copy is on the local Astro label.

The LP was later picked up by a major label....Cotillion.

Member Rabbit Bundrick later played with Free and The Who.

Not sure about an Atlantic 45??
    Could make sense then because anything Cotillion was released as Atlantic here in New Zealand around that time & the 45 I have is New Zealand press.

• The_NonThe_Non 5,691 Posts
    Note to self:
    Go to NJ flea markets, find my mans an dem selling reggae.

• ReynaldoReynaldo 6,054 Posts

("Johnny" on side 2!)

• actually all records that arrived within the last 3 weeks by mail:

good ending 2007 and a nice start into 2008

• LuminLumin 807 Posts
    those reggae finds are flavor

got a copy of this for pretty cheap

local record store has a super mint copy of felt - s/t on nasco for $500.
    whats good with this record? i see it goes for dollars on ebay but wassup with real world find dealers. does it cost this much?
    im interested

• SwayzeSwayze 14,705 Posts
    this is a combination of the last couple of weeks or so-- stuff found in south texas and the past five days back in pa/northern nj area. there is a lot of good stuff i got in tx that isn't here yet--i packed up a box and sent it to my address here so it should arrive soon. stuff all found from fleas, thrifts, yard sales,and dollar bin at half price books.

found that earthen vessel (xian heavy psych) at a thrift in cc,tx. it's orig. press! that was my mega score there.

the punk records were copies from a college radio station. found them from a northern nj vendor for a buck each. all near minty--but some of the covers are a little worn and with station lettering. still can't complain!

max roach lp is a weird test/promo advance copy. i have a orig. mono of it--and it has a different cover. it is orig. impulse mono as well--and label is white. it came with a bunch of ny newspaper clippings on max roach and abby lincoln. pretty cool.

12"s from - nwa, j to the d, italo/euro disco from adal scandi super band, magnifique, modern soul/boogie 12" from t.h.s, and a inner life 12.

and this...

super awesome. sugar baby weet og. my highlight of the weekend for sure!

also got some latin/tex mex soul 45s in texas that i'll post later.

• RockadelicRockadelic Out Digging 13,993 Posts
    South Texas diggers should be ashamed you came to their towns and found all that great shit.

Earthen Vessel in a Thrift is some

• NateBizzoNateBizzo 2,328 Posts
    those reggae finds are flavor

got a copy of this for pretty cheap

local record store has a super mint copy of felt - s/t on nasco for $500.
    whats good with this record? i see it goes for dollars on ebay but wassup with real world find dealers. does it cost this much?
    im interested

Flat Earth Society is a great garage/psych LP out of Boston. Intersting cover of "Midnight Hour" and the other stand-out is "Portrait in Gray" i believe. Whole thing is enjoyable.

NB