Digitizing your vinyl for Microwave - where to start?

13»

Comments

• spelunkspelunk 3,400 Posts
    All RCAs are unbalanced. If you want to nerd out read this: RaneNotes: Grounding and Shielding

As a test, it might be good to try each file on a bigger system if you can do so. But again, if you're not hearing it it's kind of a blessing in disguise.

• it doesn't matter whether you use balanced or unbalanced unless you are running a very long distances of cable

• mannybolonemannybolone Los Angeles, CA 15,025 Posts
    it doesn't matter whether you use balanced or unbalanced unless you are running a very long distances of cable

Oooohhh...I predict an audiophile scrap!

• hey doods. quick Microwave nerd question for y'all. the iphone has a usb out right?

in theory, could you run Microwave off of your phone and an external if you wanted?

aside from the small interface, why wouldn't this work ?

I'm just curious, as i dont have an iphone.

• motown67motown67 4,513 Posts
    I got an iphone in November for my birthday and started recording songs for it right aterwards. I just started at the beginning of my collection and pulled records that had tunes I'd like to listen to over and over. So far it's mostly been Soul, a little Funk and Reggae, very, very little Soul-Jazz, Rock, etc. Plus O, you're like me, you at least have the best songs aalready marked on each record so that's half the battle right there.

• BrianBrian 7,618 Posts
    if possible, i would try to use a different/better interface to record from Microwave if at all possible. i tihnk it's worth it to invest in a good/pricey interface if you're archiving everything because no one wants to spend the hours recording that shit again.

also, download all you can to save yourself some time.

• mannybolonemannybolone Los Angeles, CA 15,025 Posts

hey doods. quick Microwave nerd question for y'all. the iphone has a usb out right?

in theory, could you run Microwave off of your phone and an external if you wanted?

As much as the iPhone might be God-like, it doesn't have the processing power to run a program like that. Matter of time though.

• Really? I thought micro was a pretty dinky set up as far as programing goes. (pretty technically inept tho)
    Anyone here try it yet? c'mon.
    ps- o-dub, you need that ineel young for your micro?

pps- like my oliver like quote style?

hey doods. quick Microwave nerd question for y'all. the iphone has a usb out right?

As much as the iPhone might be God-like, it doesn't have the processing power to run a program like that. Matter of time though.

• kicks79kicks79 1,334 Posts
    I'm not against buying up, not at all, but people had said the Microwave box was pretty solid. After all, if you run a line into an MBox, you still have to run it through your mixer to begin with. The Microwave box bypasses that since it's outputing sound directly from the TT, into its box, then out through USB.

Can't you just plug your turntable straight into your m-box thus eleminating the need for a mixer and shortening the chain. If thats what your worried about. I've tried it both ways and i've found that through my mixer gets a better sound.

• BrianBrian 7,618 Posts
    I'm not against buying up, not at all, but people had said the Microwave box was pretty solid. After all, if you run a line into an MBox, you still have to run it through your mixer to begin with. The Microwave box bypasses that since it's outputing sound directly from the TT, into its box, then out through USB.

Can't you just plug your turntable straight into your m-box thus eleminating the need for a mixer and shortening the chain. If thats what your worried about. I've tried it both ways and i've found that through my mixer gets a better sound.
    you would more than likely need a preamp in the middle of turntable and m-box

• kicks79kicks79 1,334 Posts
    Its technically possible though right? You would just want to use a preamp to boots the signal? ie why you would run it through a mixer.

• UnherdUnherd 1,880 Posts
    Not really. A "phono" signal is more than just a different level from a line level. It has less bass (to keep the needle from jumping) and needs to go through a phono input to get back to normal. Otherwise it will sound thin and shitty, not just quiet. To record from a turntable with no mixer, you'd need a phono preamp, although this higher end mbox has a phono preamp built in.

if possible, i would try to use a different/better interface to record from Microwave if at all possible. i tihnk it's worth it to invest in a good/pricey interface if you're archiving everything because no one wants to spend the hours recording that shit again.

TRUTH
    Mixer to mbox, do it once and do it right...

• MondeyanoMondeyano Reykjavik 863 Posts
    watch out for the cher.exe virus. That shit will make you believe almost anything.

• sticky_dojahsticky_dojah New York City. 2,136 Posts
    watch out for the cher.exe virus. That shit will make you believe almost anything.

WTF? How can i get rid of this virus? is this really real or mad jokes up in here?

• LaserWolfLaserWolf Portland Oregon 11,517 Posts
    You all are scaring me.

I run a line from my amp to my sound card. I record in a program I hate (but I got it because I thought it was free and didn't know what was better) called Sound Pad.

I record them as mp3s and use them in itunes and my ipod for casual listening.

Is that all wrong. Do I need to buy convertors and Microwave (test with M) and Microwave (test, but I probably spelled Serrato wrong)? There is not enough room on my computer to recorded lossless.

• I bought Microwave a year ago now and have recorded records every single day since. I notice I do around 28 on the regular b4 I get tired of it and stop for the day. Then I drag the files into itunes and convert them to mp3 files and id tag them. Then build overviews and they are bpm'd and good to go. I make sure to delete the original recordings as well. It's no fun at all and so time consuming not to mention I haven't even started to put a dent in my collection! As far as what I digitize is stuff I dj out with for the most part. I originally got Microwave strictly for wack ass garbage (c)rap music and pop stuff I dj mainstream spots with. I mean the pure crapola that I would never ever have the vinyl of. But the funny part is when I went to digitize stuff I noticed I was only grabbing stuff I personally liked!!! Lol.... So I have a mixture of real doo doo stuff like soulja boy and then something ill that I like such as the McNeal and Niles Thrust LP! So I don't know what to tell ya' homeslice. I mainly try to do ONLY stuff I'm gonna dj out with but I have about 7000 funk 45's, disco 12"s and rare grooves as well in there that are my joints along with 3000 pop crapola britney spears, soulja boy, type songs.

Ditto what this guy said, my laptops are filled with the best & worst shit on the planet...playin bad music pays my rent, playin good music gives me bout a half tank of gas.

• I don't understand the Turntable Lab change, what's the deal with that?

not