Digitizing your vinyl for Microwave - where to start?

mannybolonemannybolone Los Angeles, CA 15,025 Posts
edited January 2008 in Strut Central
Ok, so I decided to start putting more of my records into digi mode for Microwave use but I'm not sure where to start. Most used or least used? LPs or 45s? How do ya'll do it?

Comments

• Call me , but what is Microwave? I've seen it mentioned here a few times. Is it related to Microwave Scratch Live? In my attempts to google microwave osx etc. I have found no matches. Link me plaese?

and whoa the board changes "Microwave" to microwave... oddd... must be related

• spelunkspelunk 3,400 Posts
    Microwave = Replicator

Problem solved.

• mannybolonemannybolone Los Angeles, CA 15,025 Posts
    I'm not microwaving yet, but I did start digitizing some of my collection so I could have it on my ipod. I started with the stuff I wanted to listen to the most. I guess you'll do the best job of cutting down your crate-weight if you start by digitizing the stuff that spends the most time in your crate...Or is there another reason why you're switching besides the reduced lugging?

Right now, my microwave songs are more "back-up" - stuff that I can draw from if needed but I still prefer playing out my favorite songs via vinyl still. I guess I should go with "stuff I might use but not necessarily" which is an odd way to think about it but hey, you can't play everything

• I still find it weird that the forum changes s e r a t o to microwave...

might be your browser. Doesn't change it on mine. Maybe you've got that microwave.exe virus that was going around a month ago. You on a PC?

• mordecaimordecai 2,204 Posts
    Doesn't change it on mine.

no problems here either. firewall maybe?

• pjl2000xlpjl2000xl 1,795 Posts
    I still find it weird that the forum changes s e r a t o to microwave...

might be your browser. Doesn't change it on mine. Maybe you've got that microwave.exe virus that was going around a month ago. You on a PC?
    yeah i actually had this a while ago. I had to send my computer out to get it fixed.

yeah i actually had this a while ago. I had to send my computer out to get it fixed.

Send it out to get it fixed? you gotta be joking. Just reformat/install windows.

• it's not always that easy to get rid of. Sometimes it gets mixed into your startup files and next thing you know half the shit you type says microwave. Not as bad as the labcabin.exe virus though. That shit turned my homeboy's computer into a useless piece of shit.

Back to O's original inquiry...

I am not good about digitizing records. I just end up carrying a bag of stuff. It might not even be a bad idea to just run through them alphabetically, or left to right, depending on how your shelving system works. If you plan on digitizing most of your records than that might be an easy way to keep track of where you're at.

My problem is that I always intend to rip songs that have bad intros and create new ones for them (8 bar or whatever), but I never do. I get lazy and leave them as is.

• didnt mean to thread jack, carry on. my bad

Yeah... must be a pc thing because my macbook doesn't change it, but soon as I get on my pc they're all swapped. Does Norton have a patch for these viruses?

• My problem is that I always intend to rip songs that have bad intros and create new ones for them (8 bar or whatever), but I never do. I get lazy and leave them as is.

This would be a decent place to start. Digitize shit that's hard to mix because of a short intro. You can use loops to extend the intros.

• My problem is that I always intend to rip songs that have bad intros and create new ones for them (8 bar or whatever), but I never do. I get lazy and leave them as is.

This would be a decent place to start. Digitize shit that's hard to mix because of a short intro. You can use loops to extend the intros.

This is what I've started with - all the stuff that needs an edit, all the accapellas and all the rare stuff (the stuff that actually gets DJ play mostly) to save it from cue burn. I have a really bad habit of scratching the first beat aimlessly through the phones for whole tracks.

• YNOTYNOT in a studio apt mixing tuna with the ramen 417 Posts
    Adobe Audition.

• DeeRockDeeRock 1,836 Posts
    I bought Microwave a year ago now and have recorded records every single day since. I notice I do around 28 on the regular b4 I get tired of it and stop for the day. Then I drag the files into itunes and convert them to mp3 files and id tag them. Then build overviews and they are bpm'd and good to go. I make sure to delete the original recordings as well. It's no fun at all and so time consuming not to mention I haven't even started to put a dent in my collection! As far as what I digitize is stuff I dj out with for the most part. I originally got Microwave strictly for wack ass garbage (c)rap music and pop stuff I dj mainstream spots with. I mean the pure crapola that I would never ever have the vinyl of. But the funny part is when I went to digitize stuff I noticed I was only grabbing stuff I personally liked!!! Lol.... So I have a mixture of real doo doo stuff like soulja boy and then something ill that I like such as the McNeal and Niles Thrust LP! So I don't know what to tell ya' homeslice. I mainly try to do ONLY stuff I'm gonna dj out with but I have about 7000 funk 45's, disco 12"s and rare grooves as well in there that are my joints along with 3000 pop crapola britney spears, soulja boy, type songs.

• nzshadownzshadow 5,518 Posts
    it's not always that easy to get rid of. Sometimes it gets mixed into your startup files and next thing you know half the shit you type says microwave. Not as bad as the labcabin.exe virus though. That shit turned my homeboy's computer into a useless piece of shit.

• magpaulmagpaul 1,314 Posts
    i got 50 replicators in my house. bong bong.

• FatbackFatback 6,746 Posts
    i have an iriver hooked up to my mixer and keep it recording when i'm playing records at home. then go back and chop up the giant files. i record on lossless (wav) because it sounds better, but takes up A LOT of space.

does anybody use ogg file format?

• verb606verb606 2,518 Posts

Youse guys are scaring me, cos I noticed last night that my F-bombs got changed to Frickin'

(case in point)

And I'm in mac land.

Anybody else? I seems to remember being able to curse up in here before.

I get this too. I figured it was something Raj put in to SS.

is it Mac-related? iPuritan?

• depends on what version of OSX you got. Apparently, a mormon was the main programmer for version 10.2.4 and he included a kernel that changed the f bomb to frickin. I think it actually slid through a few updates before anyone noticed.

depends on what version of OSX you got. Apparently, a mormon was the main programmer for version 10.2.4 and he included a kernel that changed the f bomb to frickin. I think it actually slid through a few updates before anyone noticed.

well, apparently it slipped through Leopard too, cuz that's what I'm using.

Is it just for the internet? will it change it in my emails too?

this whole shit is like

• DB_CooperDB_Cooper Manhatin' 7,823 Posts
    Fuck.

• Fuck.

see, either a pc user or on a different version of OSX.

Fuck.

Fuck

Fuck.

Actually, we run UNIX, so we don't really have to worry about those nasty replacement viruses. I hear there's a new generation of them that change entire sections of start-up code to 1010101010101010101010101010101010101. They're called LOL viruses, and they essentially turn your computer into a paperweight.

hmm. must only be in effect on F___ing or F___in'

• watch out for the cher.exe virus. That shit will make you believe almost anything.

• bthavbthav 1,538 Posts
    depends on what version of OSX you got. Apparently, a mormon was the main programmer for version 10.2.4 and he included a kernel that changed the f bomb to frickin. I think it actually slid through a few updates before anyone noticed.

well, apparently it slipped through Leopard too, cuz that's what I'm using.

Is it just for the internet? will it change it in my emails too?

this whole shit is like

pretty sure this is happening to me on my macbook pro... and seeped into Word while i was editing a student's paper.

i guess i dont empty my cache on the regular.

• I had to dump my last laptop because my entire serato track list started reading "Microwave" for every track.

But Oliver I swear to God we had this same discussion a year or two back.

I had to dump my last laptop because my entire serato track list started reading "Microwave" for every track.

But Oliver I swear to God we had this same discussion a year or two back.

Damn, dude. That fucking sucks.