Diggin' Advice In India

davison89davison89 8 Posts
edited January 2008 in Strut Central
Hey, im off to India, Goa this Saturday (will be visiting other parts of the country), ive never been abroad looking for records so this is my first time, i have little knowledge of Indian music and wonderd if any of you can give me some tips on what to look for?Thanks alot.

Comments

• sabadabadasabadabada 5,966 Posts

• Danno3000Danno3000 2,850 Posts
    The Super Raer Super Valuable Indian pressing of this:

• deLYSdeLYS 388 Posts
    Just say lund chus to get in the inner circle and if someones asking too much $ say chup ke chut hai and they know you know the deal.

• alieNDNalieNDN 2,181 Posts
    Hey, im off to India, Goa this Saturday (will be visiting other parts of the country), ive never been abroad looking for records so this is my first time, i have little knowledge of Indian music and wonderd if any of you can give me some tips on what to look for?

Thanks alot.

no idea sorry, maybe somewhere in margao? probably bombay would be the best bet, let me know how the trip is, im headed there in the summer! goan musicians are the ish, my gramps was one.

• buttonbutton 1,475 Posts
    hire locals to do your digging for you

• hemolhemol 2,578 Posts
    I didn't do any digging when I was there in 2006. I also didn't see any records, but I wasn't looking for them. Greasing people's palms seems to go pretty far there though. Make sure you bring plenty of probiotics to stay healthy.

I don't know bollywood music much. I know a little bit about Hindustani classical, and less about Karnatik classical, but any titles in these genres should be worth buying as the caliber of professional classical musicians is usually stellar..

• subsub 311 Posts
    you go to delhi? i can let you know the contact of the biggest collector in india. rumours say that he and his dad have doubles of every record ever released in india.

• subsub 311 Posts
    and another anecdote. i visited his small store where he only has a couple of records in 2004. afterwards i dealt with him over the internet. he sended me a list of stuff people are usually looking for and the list said he had 81 copies of ananda shankar & his music for sale

• piedpiperpiedpiper 1,279 Posts
    he sended me a list of stuff people are usually looking for and the list said he had 81 copies of ananda shankar & his music for sale

no surprise - not raer at all. same goes for most of the usual suspects (like Burman).

anyway, the basic rules:

- do not expect to find record shops

- condition is a serious issue

- ask around and pay for advice

- if you have any local friends or family:

- do not waste to much time finding records

At least from my expericence the bigger cities are rather dry as many many "diggers" tried to find records in Mumbai, Delhi and the like. Prices can be quite ridiculous in these areas as well. I had a good time in smaller cities, especially in the east and among the big ones Kolkata kicks ass.

• Thanks for the advice, my parents have been going for a while now and have bonded with the locals, so i should be able to get some of them to help me out. and again, much appreciated.

When i come back i'll inform you on my findings if there are any.

Thanks.

• KaushikKaushik 320 Posts
    I remember buying records in Kolkata in the 1970 and 1980s, now noone carries them anymore. Since you already have local friends and contacts, ask them to hook you up with people with record collections -- they may be trying to sell their old vinyl stash to get this instead:

Tata Nano, the $2500 car

• deLYSdeLYS 388 Posts
    I remember buying records in Kolkata in the 1970 and 1980s, now noone carries them anymore. Since you already have local friends and contacts, ask them to hook you up with people with record collections -- they may be trying to sell their old vinyl stash to get this instead:

Tata Nano, the $2500 car

Daamn! $2500? How much for an older Mr. Bean car then? I have to get one stateside pronto

• My fiance went to India last year, asked where she could find records (I sent a list with her) and scored me 5 or 6 nice Bolly LPs. Condition was an issue but hey, they were cheap and she barely lifted a finger. Can't be too hard.

• when i was in delhi in 1993, i found a shop that had nothing in it except hundreds and hundreds of copies of the Boney M album and similar numbers of copies of the carl douglas 'Kung fu fighting' LP. It was quite weird.

Ha, that's funny, a friend of mine was digging in India last year and one of the things he said was that Boney M was huge in India.

• alieNDNalieNDN 2,181 Posts
    when i was in delhi in 1993, i found a shop that had nothing in it except hundreds and hundreds of copies of the Boney M album and similar numbers of copies of the carl douglas 'Kung fu fighting' LP. It was quite weird.

Ha, that's funny, a friend of mine was digging in India last year and one of the things he said was that Boney M was huge in India.

when i was in goa in '94, my cousins took me to these things called "Beach Shows" where local bands would place concerts outside...mostly covers. the funny thing was at the time, it was practically mandatory that a band did a cover of at least one Ace of Base tune (usually "I saw the sign"), one Inner Circle song (the one that goes "push it along some more allala llala la la la" was really popular) and they'd always play "sleeping in my car" by roxette...before i even heard of the roxette song original, and ever since i've loved that roxette song. i remember a couple of times when a band wouldnt play an inner circle song and they started launching beer bottles at the stage. Goans don't fuck around.

the funny thing was i was mainly into hip hop back then, and virtually no rock at all. my cousins were into freakn metallica and GnR and sheit and i didnt even listen to that. i mentioned that i like a few songs by nirvana, and they looked at me like

"isn't that like devil death music?"

haha good times, i can't wait to go back in a few months, its been a while!

ps: dude, while you are in goa, make sure you indulge in "Caju fenni". a really potent alcohol that goes great with Limca (the NDN version of gingerale). awesome drink, im gonna load up on that. our canadian liquor store organization once had the alcohol available through special order but then banned it cause they couldn't regulate the alcohol content!

• OK i'm in india and aint shit going on, ive tryed everywhere, im gunna try that drink tonight maybe it will help me find record but Limca taste nasty on its own.
    I'm getting fed up of CD ONLY NO LP HAHA NONE 20 YEARS.
    Pissing me off but ill try harder seen as im here for an extra week now.
    Ive even put an add in the local news paper!
    And that has had some promising things to come off it, ill keep you updated peace.

• subsub 311 Posts

which soundtrack is this taken from?

• I don't know. It has been brought up before here and I think there's someone on the board here who knows.
    It's a great track and that clip is hilarious. Clever moves!

• piedpiperpiedpiper 1,279 Posts
    which soundtrack is this taken from?

Tamil movie "Ellam Inba Mayam" from 1981

• JimsterJimster Cruffiton.etsy.com 6,892 Posts
    Just say lund chus to get in the inner circle and if someones asking too much $ say chup ke chut hai and they know you know the deal.

Surely "Chup Kar Chutiye", Chutiye!

Be careful with the "Lund Chus"...

• Im home, mission failed.

• lol. My girlfriend out-dug you. You suck.

• LOL. but what did she do to get those records?

• behemothbehemoth 2,189 Posts
    LOL. but what did she do to get those records?

not cool

• bthavbthav 1,538 Posts
    lol. My girlfriend out-dug you. You suck.

not cool
    soft

She asked her Indian colleague, "can you find me some records for my man?"

Wifey stay down

The End

COLD CLOWN!

• tomasltomasl 315 Posts
    LOL. but what did she do to get those records?

An infinite amount times more than your sorry ass. "Ra ra rasputinz"