petestrumentals?

pjl2000xlpjl2000xl 1,795 Posts
edited January 2008 in Strut Central
This album right here got me into making beats when it dropped. This and a fat bag of weed = What does the strut think bout this?

Comments

• jaymackjaymack 5,199 Posts
    hells yes. the tracks could be a liitte shorter, but still a great listen.

• pjl2000xlpjl2000xl 1,795 Posts
    yeah but when your mad zooted on the headphone tip it couldnt be long enough. I got to get another copy, got a bootleg ass pressing from fat beats years ago and its trampled to shit.

• The last great Pete Rock release, in my opinion. The original release was also better than the second version that had more vocal tracks.

• the_dLthe_dL 1,531 Posts
    love this lp, but never realised there was 2 issues, whats the difference (pardon my iggnance)

• MjukisMjukis 1,675 Posts
    This album diappeared on viny REAL quick.

• kennykenny 1,024 Posts
    love this lp, but never realised there was 2 issues, whats the difference (pardon my iggnance)

track difference due to sample issues i believe?

the later issue took out a few instrumental cuts and had a few new vocal tracks with CL, Freddie Foxx, Nature etc.

• waxjunkywaxjunky 1,850 Posts
    My friend got it very early and got a mistake pressing, with two side Cs or something. Not sure if these count as different pressings, or if this was a common error.

I just realized I lost my favorite rips from that record when my old HD crashed.

• Had it, loved it at the time, lent it to someone and now it's the most annoying empty CD-case in the world.

There were non-instrumental tracks on the original pressing as well though, right? There were rappers on the last few tracks on the one I had, but I don't remember any of the ones mentioned being on it..

- J

• BaptBapt 2,503 Posts
    Fantastic record!!
    I love it. I bought it twice, on CD, 2 different "pressings".

The mixes (on CD) are totally
    As I remember the second issue sounds better.

There are also 2 different pressings on vinyl, right?

• DocMcCoyDocMcCoy "Go and laugh in your own country!" 5,913 Posts
    I remember it getting roundly trashed by a few certified Big Dudes (who shall remain nameless) back when it came out. I believe the term used was "Sleepstrumentals"...

I liked it, though. It's a decent listen, if not an everyday one, and some of it is musically as good as anything else Pete's done post-Mecca.

• I have the LP and can't remember the last time I listened to it. It only had two or three songs with rappin. I will have to revisit.

• pcmrpcmr 5,591 Posts
    great instrumental album...

I love it cause you can bump certain tracks at a dinner party

• dead boring.

• djsheepdjsheep 3,620 Posts
    Old edition is better.... more instrumentals, the re-issue of it killed it with all the raps... peteSTRUMENTALS **DUH**

peace.

NEW EDITION
    Tracklisting:
    A! A Little Soul
    A2 Play Dis Only At Night
    A3 Something Funky
    A4 For The People
    B1 To My Advantage
    Featuring - Nature (4)
    B2 Smooth Sailing
    B3 Pete's Jazz
    B4 Back On The Block
    Featuring - C.L. Smooth
    C1 The Boss
    C2 Get Involved
    C3 Nothin' Lesser
    Featuring - UN, The (2)
    C4 Walk On By
    D1 Take The D Train
    D2 Mind Frame
    Featuring - Freddie Foxxx
    D3 Cake
    Featuring - UN, The (2)
    D4 Outro

OLD EDITION
    Tracklisting:
    A1 A Little Soul
    A2 Play Dis Only At Night
    A3 Something Funky
    B1 For The People
    B2 Hip Hoprisy
    B3 Smooth Sailing
    B4 Pete's Jazz
    C1 The Boss
    C2 Get Involved
    C3 Give It To Y'all
    D1 Walk On By
    D2 Cake
    D3 What You Waiting For
    D4 Nothin' Lesser - Jamie's Mix
    Remix - Jamie Staub

• The life sucks die review of it always made me laugh. Paraphrasing, it said something like...

"Pete Rock has a seperate house for all of his vinyl in Mt Vernon. Apparently he hasn't been back there in a few years."

• I have the first copy on LP if anyone is interested.

• Not classic or anything,but very dope

It's PETESTRUMENTALS 2 that was a big letdown

PR my favorite producer of all time

• i dig this album
    i like most of beat generation stuff
    really like king brits album and the spinna instrumentals record
    small complaint
    the pete stuff tends to sound the same unless you really select the tracks correctly when playing out.
    not really a dancefloor killer
    but i likes the raps on the 2nd cut.

"Pete Rock has a seperate house for all of his vinyl in Mt Vernon. Apparently he hasn't been back there in a few years."

i love pr but this quote made me choke on my coffee

• cpeetzcpeetz 2,112 Posts
    I really dug this one when it came out, worked really well when Djing a downtempo
    set. Somewhere along the way one of the records got lost or misplaced, hopefully it's
    stuck in a sleeve I haven't checked in years.

• "Pete Rock has a seperate house for all of his vinyl in Mt Vernon. Apparently he hasn't been back there in a few years."

I think that's why I liked that album even more. It was just some dope shit to begin with but also from a producers point of view dude was able to flip used/classic samples and make something else out of them.

What's the verdict on this joint?

Haven't bumped it in about a year or two, but "Appreciate", "Love Thing" and the Leela James joint got a lot of play from me. Everything else was decent.

I think that's why I liked that album even more. It was just some dope shit to begin with but also from a producers point of view dude was able to flip used/classic samples and make something else out of them.

Haven't bumped it in about a year or two, but "Appreciate", "Love Thing" and the Leela James joint got a lot of play from me. Everything else was decent.

forever a fan of appreciate and really starting to like the album alot more these days as a whole
    any one check the pete rock black album which was essentially the black album over petestrumentals

• I have the first release but one of the records is broken. There's a big crack and a chunk broken out.

• white_teawhite_tea 3,262 Posts

Can't we let the man become disinterested in his collection? It happens to the best of us.

I have really been feeling that Pete Rock cut, I think from that album (^^^^) that features Loose Ends... so smooth.

Can't we let the man become disinterested in his collection? It happens to the best of us.

I have really been feeling that Pete Rock cut, I think from that album (^^^^) that features Loose Ends... so smooth.
    take your time was from vol 1

• m_dejeanm_dejean Quadratisch. Praktisch. Gut. 2,946 Posts
    Soul survivor 2 was great. Besides Appreciate the Monch and Kardinal joints were hott.

The way he flipped "Mango Meat" on the latter was pretty sick IMO.

• E_DailyE_Daily 812 Posts
    I'm in need of a third arm for the missing thumbs up...

• Can't we let the man become disinterested in his collection? It happens to the best of us.

take your time was from vol 1

Yeah man, that's from Part One. So Frickin' dope, dare I say

sexy

That album was above average to me. "Tru Master" and the "Vinia Mojica" jawn where tight but "Da Two" was one of the few cuts that where fresh.

So i'm listening to the SSII LP, and it's cool. Pretty much typical New York boom bap indie rap. Some of it's alright some of it being kind of hot.

• batmonbatmon 27,574 Posts
    I have the first copy on LP if anyone is interested.